Workers comp for independent contractors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dre8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recommendation? I had a hep c needlestick that fortunately ended up ok, but I was on my own for follow up. I was thinking about Ebola. Would you be covered if you were not allowed to work for 21 days because you were exposed?

Members don't see this ad.

good and timely question as i just went from employed to IC... have great health insurance but WC obviously is a different animal.

also - any recs for short term disability? way more commonly used than LTD but again, a different animal.

Not a fan of STD. Isn't that the point of having 3 months worth of expenses as an emergency fund? The financial catastrophe is a LTD. That's what you should be insuring (and insuring well) against.

Google pulled this up for Worker's Comp. You'll have to give personal info and have someone contact you, but it's at least a place to start:

https://www.netquote.com/quotes/business-insurance.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
i need to revisit LTD but if you have ANY history of injury, even minor and common psych issues, and/or see the doctor AT ALL... you will get declined from the primary market EVEN IF you agree to take riders and have NO chronic illness including even HTN. then you go to secondary market where it's easily $1k/month for any reasonable coverage. VERY VERY frustrating. i would have had trouble getting it even as a medical student, but if i were covert and hid everything and/or had rich parents, i guess i couldn't have stayed off of my medical insurance and lied... but, alas...

one of the reasons i stayed at my "employed" job was that it had STD/LTD (not great but something) but in the end it was a complete soul suck/bad match and i didn't want to relocate... most of the jobs in this area outside of that CMG that tries to pass as an "SDG". IC job pays $50-75/hr more so I should come out ahead regardless...

What happens with the needle stick for an IC?
I get the part about possibly being out of work for health issues.
How about the actual healthcare costs?
This isn't covered by your health insurance, at least that's my understanding.
I guess you are on your own for this cost.
I never thought about that before.

What happens with the needle stick for an IC?
I get the part about possibly being out of work for health issues.
How about the actual healthcare costs?
This isn't covered by your health insurance, at least that's my understanding.
I guess you are on your own for this cost.
I never thought about that before.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'm not sure if my insurance will cover it. I mean, at worst, I imagine the labs will end up costing $500-$1500. If I had developed hep c, then I am pretty sure they would have had to cover me, but I guess I don't know.

I have disability insurance, but not independent worker's compensation. Can you purchase individual policies for this? If I were to have a needle stick and get hep C, disability would cover it if I'm unable to work after 90 days. I didn't realize medical insurance wouldn't cover the costs of treatment (feel like an idiot for never thinking about that).