Working 16 hours a week with Orgo 2 seems deadly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0bes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first-time applicant planning on graduating this Fall. My cGPA stands at 3.50 and I have submitted to just a few schools because I am not totally expecting success. I do not want to take 5 classes this Fall--of which one, Orgo 2, will be an elective--while working 16 hours a week in a lab because I really need to maximize my cGPA in my last semester.

Would schools mind if I took Orgo 2 in the Spring as my only class in order to finish gathering the necessary prerequisites for my potential Fall 2016 matriculation? Also, would schools in the future--as in the cycle for Fall 2017 matriculation--think it's fishy that I took 4 classes, graduated, and then took one prerequisite class in the Spring?

Here are the reasons I am intent on taking the lab job: 1. It is a likely pathway to a quick (~1 year long) Masters degree which would enhance my reapplication in the cycle of 2017 matriculation. 2. I need money. 3. It may enhance my application that I worked 16 hours/week during school.

I thought I might be able to take the five classes and work the job but I am becoming increasingly doubtful after having spoken to students who work.

Members don't see this ad.

Try working a full time engineering job, taking 9 hours grad school engineering credit and OChem 2. That's hard.

If you want validation for your plan, do what you want.

Edit: If you have doubts about your ability to handle coursework, there is no reason to struggle through it when you can, like you stated, put it off. I'd suggest putting it off to be safe if it will cause you extra stress. Schools will absolutely not mid if you put it off.

Last edited:
I would vote for delaying Orgo 2 until the spring. cGPA is generally more important than how many classes you take per semester. As long as you can demonstrate that you stayed productive while enrolled in that single class (through work, and hopefully other EC's), I wouldn't expect it to be an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked 20+ hours per week throughout all of undergrad. You can do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Try working a full time engineering job, taking 9 hours grad school engineering credit and OChem 2. That's hard.

If you want validation for your plan, do what you want.
Try not being a douche.

Reactions: 8 users
I worked 20+ hours per week throughout all of undergrad. You can do it.
+1.
Organic I and II are not as bad as perceived; keep on top of your work and do practice problems daily. Synthesis problems, using electron pushing / bond breaking mechanisms, all that good stuff only takes maybe 3-5 minutes for difficult problems. Put yourself in the position to do 10+ problems daily.
Working 15/20 hours in a lab is not always busy work; there were many days I sat for two hours for gels to run. Practice then.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry. I'm in a bad mood and shouldn't be posting. My post was unnecessarily rude and offered little help. My apologies.

Reactions: 5 users
I played college softball for at least 30 hrs a week while taking Org 2 and 4 other classes, so its definitely doable. If your grades start to slip then you should reevaluate your priorities, but I say give it a try!

In the end, do whatever is the best outcome long run grade wise.

However, it's certainly doable. I worked 24 hrs a week last Semester while studying for the MCAT, Orgo 2, Biochem, and Spanish (surprisingly the most time consuming class), and volunteering. It's certainly viable, but stressful.

You don't know nearly enough about the OP to say this.

Lol. Ok, I'll be careful who I encourage from now on... Was just assuming they are as good/better than me at managing time (I'm not that good).

Lol. Ok, I'll be careful who I encourage from now on... Was just assuming they are a I s good/better than me at managing time (I'm not that good).
Maybe they'd be better off taking it easy. Or as easy as they can with orgo

Maybe they'd be better off taking it easy. Or as easy as they can with orgo

Orgo is not that bad. I went to a school which is rated as very difficult to earn an "A" in Orgo and was able to pull it off while working with some time management. One needs to be able to manage multiple priorities such as work, school, EC's, etc. Don't make it seem like I'm being a jerk or inconsiderate by telling OP to go through with the job and Orgo II. I'm simply giving my opinion based on my experience.

OP, if you think you have what it takes to go to medical school, you should be able to handle this. When you do handle it, you can use that to sell yourself to adcoms by showing that you were able to handle multiple priorities as you will need to do so in medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input!

Orgo is not that bad. I went to a school which is rated as very difficult to earn an "A" in Orgo and was able to pull it off while working with some time management. One needs to be able to manage multiple priorities such as work, school, EC's, etc. Don't make it seem like I'm being a jerk or inconsiderate by telling OP to go through with the job and Orgo II. I'm simply giving my opinion based on my experience.

OP, if you think you have what it takes to go to medical school, you should be able to handle this. When you do handle it, you can use that to sell yourself to adcoms by showing that you were able to handle multiple priorities as you will need to do so in medical school.
Okay, I guess he should prove himself then.:rolleyes:

Dis reasoning tho

Last edited: