Working, 3 weeks to MCAT, not sure what I should do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ex_animo_92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
'm sort of at a bind here. This week I've started a full time postbac fellowship at the NIH. This type of job is exclusively people in their gap years, and my PI is very understanding about the fact that I'm taking the MCAT.

My current test date is scheduled for September 18th. I'm stuck between keeping my current test date and just cramming all of the content review and practice that I have left to do, or pushing it back to October 21, which is a little farther than I would like because I don't want to start forgetting content, and also because I heard a shortened time period of intense study is better than drawing it out some more. This wouldn't be the first time I've pushed back my test date, and I don't want to be distracted from my job.

I'm not fully through content review - I have a little bit of gen chem and physics left (electrochem and optics and waves), half of orgo left, and most of the physiology content left for bio (which I'm the most comfortable with from taking anat/phys).

My practice test scores have been hovering at around a 30/31. Not satisfactory, to me, and I still haven't broken a 10 on PS. PS is freaking me out.

I have a whole bunch left - I've only taken the AAMC 3, 4, and 11. I have a bunch of TPR and Kaplan left, as well as all the berkeley review books.

PS is my biggest challenge. I've basically had to relearn a lot of the concepts.

That being said, I don't know if it's riskier to push back the date and run the risk of forgetting content.

Members don't see this ad.

Physics has been always my weakest point too, but i used TBR for learning. So if you can get a hang of those through a friend and just go through concepts that are not making sense to you, it should help. Its very in depth and frustrating in the beginning but it helps making the questions on the aamc appear reasonable...
How did you go about your verbal, i used EK and am stuck around 8...exam in two weeks. :'(