Working as a hospitalist prior to Heme/Onc fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cucumber.123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Instead of applying for a fellowship in my PGY-3, due to some personal reasons, I first need to work as a hospitalist for 2-3 years. In regards to this, I have 2 questions:

1. From your personal experience, or from experiences of people you know or have met during the interview process, how does working as a hospitalist affect one's chances of matching into a good heme/onc fellowship program (vs. applying straight from residency)?

2.If you had to choose, would you spend those 2-3 years working as a BMT hospitalist at a mid-to-lower-tear university hospital or just as a hospitalist (not BMT or oncology-related) but at one of the top universities? (I guess this question boils down to oncology/BMT experience vs. a big name on your CV before the fellowship application).

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Instead of applying for a fellowship in my PGY-3, due to some personal reasons, I first need to work as a hospitalist for 2-3 years. In regards to this, I have 2 questions:

1. From your personal experience, or from experiences of people you know or have met during the interview process, how does working as a hospitalist affect one's chances of matching into a good heme/onc fellowship program (vs. applying straight from residency)?

2.If you had to choose, would you spend those 2-3 years working as a BMT hospitalist at a mid-to-lower-tear university hospital or just as a hospitalist (not BMT or oncology-related) but at one of the top universities? (I guess this question boils down to oncology/BMT experience vs. a big name on your CV before the fellowship application).

Thanks for your replies in advance.

I'll answer based on my experience from application to hem/Onc.

1. There is a study from 2007 I think where fellowship PDs ranked being in residency while applying as a strength. I'm not sure if that was biased by those who are applying after finishing residency while working as a hospitalist; were actually weak applicants who applied during residency but didn't match. I personally think; its you the applicant is what matters. If you are a strong applicant it doesn't matter if you applied now or later.
2. Where you work as a hospitalist matter if you are planning to do something other than being a hospitalist. Meaning; if you'll do research and write up stuff while working that will help. Otherwise it doesn't matter whether you work on a BMT unit and hem/onc guys there like you or you work in a big name and the hem/onc guys like you. Both cases--> you'll get an interview there. The rest of your interviews will be based on your application. I would personally would have rathered working as a hospitalist in a cancer center or BMT unit. Just because I'll be surrounded with what I like to do all the time rather than being on a regular medical floor!
My 2cents to share with you. GL

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who did a hospitalist year before GI, I would say 1 maybe 2 years is looked at as neutral/a strength. You are that much more comfortable with medical decision making and making decision, and are more financially stable.

Once you start pushing 3 years, it starts to become somewhat of a red flag. The expectations also go up a lot in terms of research productivity. Coming right out of residency, an abstract and a paper is pretty good. If you have had 3 more years, you better have done something more with that time other than work as a hospitalist.