Working as a part-time physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tport

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wanted some input from anybody who may know this answer... As a non-traditional pre-med who just had my first baby this past summer, I am starting to re-think my ideas of just how many hours I would like to work once I finish medical school. I currently work full-time and I have come to realize how difficult it is to balance work and family. In my ideal world, after I graduate medical school, I would love to have the flexibility to work part-time when my children are younger and then transition to full-time when I feel they are more autonomous. I am wondering if anybody knows how common it is for physicians to work only part-time. I know it happens, but is it easy to obtain part-time work as a physician? I am starting to consider PA school instead because I'm not sure if part-time PA jobs may be easier to come across. Medical school has always been my goal, but my new family has made me realize that flexibility in my career is a priority. Also, my concern with being a PA is that if I ever did work part-time, the pay would be significantly less and I'm not sure if we'd be able to stay afloat. I'm not sure if this is true, but they are just thoughts that I'd thought I'd pick your brains about! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Med school is 4 years of crazy followed by residency which is 3-10 years of crazy. Neither offers part time opportunities. So don't minimize the number of years before you'd have even a chance of part time work.

The next issue would be debt. You can very, very easily have $250k debt when you start residency. If you have a cheap public schools in your state, and you can get into them, and/or you have a funding source, then you might be able to plan on part time work after residency. Otherwise, you won't be able to stay afloat working part time with student loan payments. I don't know if IBR (income based repayment) rules allow for part time work.

The next issue would be specialty. You can't maintain a referral-based private practice as a part time MD until after you spend years building that practice, if at all. Part time work is more feasible with primary care and EM, and you can work as a hospitalist with the same flexibility as EM (but you may want to consider whether hospitalist work is worth doing 10 years of medical training- for some it's not). I shadowed an EM doc who works 4x12 graveyards twice a month, so that she can participate in her kids' classroom activities half the time.

I have 2 sisters who are PAs, and one has worked part time for several years. She worked locums before she got her current job. She isn't the primary breadwinner in the family, but her pay isn't bad - it's consistent with the effort involved in getting her PA degree.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the feedback...student loans were something I forgot to take into consideration so that gives me more to think about. And believe me, I haven't minimzed the number of grueling years of med school/residency I would have before I could ever work part-time. I've thought about it long and hard. I'm just trying to make some major choices and I'm throwing all my thoughts onto the table to process everything.

When you say your sister's pay "isn't bad" do you mind if I ask what it is? I get many different answers when I ask/hear about PA salary. I know 3 PAs personally, so their answers are what I take most seriously.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback...student loans were something I forgot to take into consideration so that gives me more to think about. And believe me, I haven't minimzed the number of grueling years of med school/residency I would have before I could ever work part-time. I've thought about it long and hard. I'm just trying to make some major choices and I'm throwing all my thoughts onto the table to process everything.

When you say your sister's pay "isn't bad" do you mind if I ask what it is? I get many different answers when I ask/hear about PA salary. I know 3 PAs personally, so their answers are what I take most seriously.

Thanks!

There are physicians on mommd.com who have done part-time since residency. Check out that forum. Not only are they actually doctors, but they give a great perspective on how they manage all of this. From the perspective of doctors. Who are doctors. Am I making myself clear? We can suppose on how things are all day long, but the best people to ask are the people who are...doctors now. Not pre-meds, not med students. I am a medical student who is likely to have a child in school. I understand why you are asking these questions, and I really think mommd.com will give you the most accurate answer.

You shouldn't have to consider PA if you want to be a doctor. You should know what DOCTORS who feel like you do, though. You aren't alone!

HOpe this helps!

Thank you sooooo much glamqueen! That was exactly the direction I needed.... I knew that by posting here I was opening myself up to get shot down, but I needed some direction as to where to go with my thoughts. The female doctors I shadow are younger and not yet moms, so it's been hard to get their advice. I've been on mommd before, but I haven't posted anything.... so I'm off to those forums. I love my family and I want to love my career. I believe I can achieve a balance. Thanks for the understanding and encouragement!

Thank you sooooo much glamqueen! That was exactly the direction I needed.... I knew that by posting here I was opening myself up to get shot down, but I needed some direction as to where to go with my thoughts. The female doctors I shadow are younger and not yet moms, so it's been hard to get their advice. I've been on mommd before, but I haven't posted anything.... so I'm off to those forums. I love my family and I want to love my career. I believe I can achieve a balance. Thanks for the understanding and encouragement!

You are welcome! I am an older student, and I also post on mommd, so I think you will enjoy the atmosphere over there. The women are real people making med school, residency and practice life work with children - occurring at all of those stages! You can do this!

Good luck!

Med school is 4 years of crazy followed by residency which is 3-10 years of crazy. Neither offers part time opportunities.

Not totally true. I had a kid in medical school and was able to decelerate by taking a research year during his first year of life. Now I'm a resident and I recently was able to negotiate a part-time gig starting next year. Residency will take longer, but I'll have more time to mother, so the trade-off is worth it to me.

The next issue would be debt. You can very, very easily have $250K debt when you start residency.

This, I agree with. I think debt is probably the biggest impediment to part-time work as a doctor. Everything else is negotiable if you're willing to ask.

Not totally true. I had a kid in medical school and was able to decelerate by taking a research year during his first year of life. Now I'm a resident and I recently was able to negotiate a part-time gig starting next year. Residency will take longer, but I'll have more time to mother, so the trade-off is worth it to me.

This, I agree with. I think debt is probably the biggest impediment to part-time work as a doctor. Everything else is negotiable if you're willing to ask.

also, residency hrs depend on your field -- I've heard tough to get into + this doesn't interest me, but a couple dermatology residents taught a small group session recently -- one mentioned that her hrs in residency are often 8-5.

some radiologists read films on the pacs system from home, my FP does 8-1 3 days/wk and does not admit. on my ER rotation a few attendings are part timers at 2 days/wk. every field have more/less flexibility. this is the gold mind once you complete residency. if medicine is for you, go for it. you can figure out the rest with time.

Wow, thanks guys! It's nice to hear it from those who have been there and have experienced things first-hand. I feel so torn at times because often I feel I am being much too idealistic. It's just so hard because really, I won't know how it is until I'm there. Whether or not I have the guts to take the plunge is what it's really about. However, hearing about people who make it work makes me feel a little more confident that I can make it work too. I really appreciate your feedback!