Working as a PT in Veterans Affairs Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDan2

NSU DPT 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student going into PT school this summer at Nova Southeastern (FL), and I am wondering if anyone here has experience working in VA hospitals or other government related offices. If so, I was wondering how you enjoy it, what the pay is like, and any other interesting facts. I am interested in working with wounded vets and helping out those who have so bravely fought so that I don't have to.

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping this again. Is there anyone who could help answer this question? I am also interested in learning more about this. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just be interested in the answers... but so far, there's nothing.

My grandfather receives vetern's benefits, so sometimes a visiting PT from a local nursing association will come in to do some exercises. But that's all I really know. =/

I'm in the Tampa program with NSU, just started.
I also want to work for the VA--a friend of mine is a nurse practitioner with the VA and loves loves loves her job! I would think that getting in through a clinical rotation is a good start. Keep an eye on volunteer and rehab tech openings (va.gov) to see about working your way up, but right now there are several PT openings--you might have to move if you want it badly, though. With the VA, it's about knowing people and demonstrating commitment. It's the first place I'm putting down for my clinical choice.
I've also thought about Navy or Army medical to pay for school...a good way to get in the VA as well.

My Mom works for the Department of Defense and we checked into the VA as a potential employer. If you go to USAJOBS.com and search for Physical Therapist you'll see all the jobs in any given area. Salaries vary depending on experience or education and is one place where salaries are higher for each level of education (Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate). Also salaries vary depending on the location because the government has locality incentives for places with a high cost of living. Today the salary of open positions ranged from $40,XXX to $110,XXX.

$40,XXX to $110,XXX.
That 40k one is for Orlando, FL right. I check their website periodically and just saw the orlando posting like 2 weeks ago. Anyway, if you read up on their position offerings they let you know all the information. Comprehensive background checks, physicals, they let you know if this job is part time or not to extend certain number of years of service, etc. The pay is great imo btw, I saw an offer one time that paid like 50k/year for 20 hrs a week. And the highest paying that I've seen was in Seattle at like 90k-110k. One step at a time, we gotta get through school first :)

Here's a piece of advice...prepare to be frustrated. I speak from experience having had a rotation at my local VA hospital. There is absolutely no benefit for VA patients to "get better." Most of the will come in with a 'service connected' disability and receive monthly payments according to the percent awarded. Fraud, waste and abuse runs rampant in that setting. Sorry to sound so negative, hope your experience it better than mine was.

Reactions: 1 user
My first clinical rotation was also at a nearby VA hospital in their outpatient PT dept. I saw some patients like WSUPT mentioned, but no more than I see in the community hospital outpatient rehab dept where I work part time. I saw a big mix of patients at the VA from back & neck pain, ACL's, RTC repairs, amputations mostly due to diabetes and a motorcycle accident and TBI's.

Most of the waste I saw was pts being issued canes, walkers, rolators and countless TENS units that either didn't need them or wouldn't use them as instructed. Or patients who could walk trying to get a motorized scooter or wheelchair.

I'm having a hard time finding the answer to this online - does anyone know if there are opportunities to receive help with loan repayment if one works as a physical therapist for Veterans Affairs? I thought I read somewhere that if you commit to working for VA for a certain number of years you can receive 10k/year and up to 60k/lifetime. Can anyone confirm this for me or let me know if you've heard differently? Thanks!