Working at an academic center fresh out of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for EM jobs close to where my family lives. I'm very passionate about EMS (air and ground) and teaching paramedics. I have a job offer from a place with an EM residency, EMS fellowship, "School of EMS," and it's own Life Flight and critical care ground transport teams. I would split my time between their main hospital working with residents and a small, single coverage place with no residents. My other job offer really has no EMS opportunities for me because they "already have an EMS guy." But, they also have no EM residents and their volume is incredibly high with high acuity.

What would be some of the advantages/disadvantages of one place over the other?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, there is no benefit you have mentioned to the second job. High volume plus high acuity = sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure why you would even consider #2 if #1 is available and has the EMS experience/exposure you're looking for ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Take job offer #1. If you have to work, you might as well enjoy it, right? Job #2 doesn't seem to offer anything that you are looking for.