Working at Multiple Hospitals- More Income? Is this Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fj25

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked up some positions on the recruitment sites and some list working 12 hour shifts/3 days a week. That gives time to work at other places? 4 days the rest of the week to work somewhere else or to do some moonlighting, at least to help pay off the loans. I assume the contract may give provisions but I think it sounds possible.

Members don't see this ad.

IbnSina said:
If the contracts don't have non-compete clauses.

Non-compete clauses usually have distance limits in them - outside the distance, it's fine (since you are, well, not competing if you're 50 or 100 miles away).

The bigger picture is burning yourself by working too much (although 4 shifts/month isn't too much of a load, and can be a nice extra chunk of change).

Members don't see this ad :)
I work at 2 places that both have non-compete clauses but they both say within xyz county and the jobs, although only 5 miles apart, are in different counties

I work at 5 hospitals but they are all coverd by the same group. However my non-compete clause only says I can't try to take over the contract for any of the ERs from my group. It doesn't say I can't work at any other ERs.

This really should be way that noncompete clauses go. It addresses a lot of the concerns (legitimate concerns) that AAEM has about noncompetes.

docB said:
This really should be way that noncompete clauses go. It addresses a lot of the concerns (legitimate concerns) that AAEM has about noncompetes.

Isn't that more of a non-interfernce clause than a non-compete?

Take care,
Jeff

Can you work multiple jobs and get paid more money? That is all I am asking. I did not understand all the terms being used. Thank You.

Yes you can, but why? With an average salary around 200-220k for ~36-38 hours a week, why work more? Those hours can be relatively stressful, so most EP's really enjoy their time off.

Q

Quinn i think this is a question that gets asked by people early in med school or pre med. They assume working 36 hours a week is easy. Working in the ED is tough work and with all the schedule movement it can be hard to work much more than that.

Lastly, my experience is that if you want more hours at your current job they will have it available for you.

A friend who works at my hospital has privileges at about 8 other ones, and works a huge number of hours (over 3000 total a year). It can and is done, although probably not for everyone.

I actually understand working about 36hrs for $220,000 should be enough but I was just wondering what was available. I was acutally considerinf working alot of hours early in my career to help pay off stuff and then taper off when I'm ready to settle down.

If I find a position that could be an extra 100/hour I would take it for awhile.

I wouldn't take a side job unless it paid close to what I was getting at the main job. or I might take a side job for only a weeks out of the year.

Possible scenarios: $150/hour for 3000 hours = $450,000 year

or Base Salary at 36hrs/week= $220,000 +
100/hour x 1200 hours= $100,000
= $320,000
(assuming side job pays 100/hour)

*an extra $100,000, is it worth it working every hour
of the year? I dont know.

or Base Salary at 36hrs/week= $220,00 +
100/hour x 600 hours= $60,000

*an extra $60,000, is it worth it working 3/4 th of the year?