Working at your "pre-vet" clinic, "post-vet school"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog15

Purdue c/o 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could provide their experiences and/or opinions regarding working as a DVM at the same clinic you may have worked at as a pre-vet.

My situation: I have worked at a small animal private practice in my home-town for about 3 years. The first year as a kennel assistant, and the past two years as a vet assistant. I will be continuing to work there until August, when I will be starting vet school. In my opinion, I have good working relationships with both the doctors and the rest of the team. Several employees and the owner have made comments about me potentially coming back to work at this clinic after finishing vet school. This got me thinking about what that would be like. Hypothetically, if after vet school my clinic were willing to hire me, and the job itself seems to be a good fit, I see two possibilities (though in the real world a mix of the two seems most likely).
1. Compared to getting a job at a similar clinic in which I am a brand new face, this is a better opportunity just out of school since the doctors and staff are already familiar with me and I know how the clinic runs.
2. On the other hand, since the doctors, staff, and many clients have experienced working with me as a kennel assistant and then as a vet assistant, it might be more difficult working in this job and growing as a new grad since working relationships would have to change and clients knew me as an assistant, not a doctor, before.

Every clinic has a different dynamic, but has anyone had experiences or have opinions about whether taking a job at your "pre-vet" clinic, especially as a first job out of vet school would be good/bad? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

One of my good friends did something like this. She's a vet from another country and worked as a vet tech for 3-4 years at my old job while she prepared for the licensing exam to practice in the US. She left the hospital for about a year and then came back to work there as a vet. She had mixed feelings about this. She told me that working as a a vet there opened her eyes to some . . . questionable practice habits that she hadn't been exposed to. I guess you could say she started seeing the "behind the scenes" stuff and didn't like it. On the other hand, she loved that all the clients already knew her and trusted her 100% since she was already amazing before getting licensed. She's still working there and loves it most days, but every once in a while she texts me saying she can't handle some of the unethical practices that go on.

Make sure you like the vets you work for. I've made close relationships with some of the ones I worked with and could 100% see myself working with them. Others, however, are great vets and I loved being their tech, but I would never even consider working with them because I know we'd bump heads too much if we were both vets at the same place.

Reactions: 1 user
I know a vet who did the opposite. She said she planned to go back to the vet clinic she volunteered/worked as a tech at after graduating, and was eventually going to take over that clinic. She ended up getting board certified in pathology and never practiced in a clinic after graduating.

Just remember that you have lots of directions to choose from upon graduation, and that what you want to do could change drastically. There's nothing wrong with wanting to go back to a clinic you've worked at, but it also is definitely not your only option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend you not do it, for a couple of reasons.......

1) as you said, the staff or other doctors may have difficulty accepting you as a "doctor" and no longer an assistant. Especially the staff, who will now have to take direction and orders from you regarding patient care. Likewise, you may feel less confident in your role surrounded by the same situation as when you were a lay employee.

2) I think this one is even more important: every clinic is different in various ways, and staying in the only place you've ever known has the potential to further narrow your view of what/how to do things, and I think that's not very good for your continued growth and education. Whether it's about different anesthetic protocols, client communication styles, or pharmacy products, I think it's a good idea to see a variety of things that are equally successful, and staying in the same place might not allow that. Of course it depends on the attitude of the personnel and the turnover, but sometimes change is good.

On the other hand, if you've got varied external experience during vet school (externships at different practices), point #2 might not apply. Or maybe you could get experience at various clinics by working different places during your summers, then returning there after you graduate.......but I think you get what I'm saying: only knowing how one clinic works is, IMO, not a good thing.

I have a friend who did what you are proposing, having worked at the clinic since she was 16, returning every summer during school and going to work there right after she graduated. She thought things were good and she enjoyed working there, but later realized that from a business perspective it had been a mistake - the clinic owner respected her skills and treated her as a vet when it came to practicing medicine, but didn't really respect her has a professional adult in the business side of things......I believe he still saw her as a teenager, and he took advantage of her love for the clinic and that familiarity when it came to scheduling, compensation, and even discussions about buying the clinic. Of course, she has a share of the blame for not trusting him and not being tougher and negotiating a better situation, but that was, in part, because of their long history together as she had worked for him for over 15 years. It ended in shock and tears when she left.......she's an excellent vet, but I can also see how she was so used to doing things only one way, she still clings to some of those ideas.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, don't put all your eggs in one basket with this one (spending all summers and externships and whatnot at this clinic) with the expectation that it will prepare you for the job that's waiting for you. Consider the opportunity costs of spending time at this clinic in anticipation of a job offer. You don't want to regret having missed all these other cool opportunities, that could have led to other job opportunities, as you're graduating.

I know people who were burned by that big time because they found out just before graduation that there was no position (as in they were strung along very close to when they were supposed to start working), or they realized towards the end of clinics that the level/style of medicine at the hospital is not what they were willing to practice. It's hard to go in as the protege of the ole doc that you've admired since you were 16... and stick to your own convictions and practice differently. How would you go about telling them that no you will not do such and such because it is old school and not up to current standards? And how will existing staff respond to changes in how you do things, even if your boss is okay with it?

Along those lines, it an also be really awkward if the clinic had strong staff retention. As someone who was at the bottom of the totem pole, how will the techs/receptionists/managers react to you coming back as a doctor? How will your boss handle smoothing out those relationships (is his/her loyalty to his long time staff, or will s/he back you up 100% every time anyone tries to undermine your knowledge/authority)? I will tell you that as a new grad, your relationship with support staff is crucial, and a lot of that is determined by the attitude of your superiors. You will make some newbie mistakes, and you may at times feel as if you don't know what you're doing (and may not be able to hide those feelings). In that setting, it would be incredibly difficult to have support staff who are already leery of you based on your history. May or may not be an issue with this particular set of staff, and you may have similar issues regardless of where you end up... But something to think about. Nothing worse than having a tech with a chip on his/her shoulders who feels like s/he deserved to become a vet over you but didn't for some reason... undermining everything you do because of it.

On the other hand, I do know a couple of people who went back to work for their "home clinics" and absolutely shine there, so definitely don't burn bridges and keep the line of communication open. Just think hard before you seriously consider it, and don't limit yourself.

Mirroring what Minnie said...
I know a couple of people who had promises of positions when they finished school, but the jobs never materialized. Just don't count on the job and get as much varied experience as you can. It can work out but it is not a sure thing.

Thanks for your replies so far, they are very helpful! :)

Along those lines, it an also be really awkward if the clinic had strong staff retention. As someone who was at the bottom of the totem pole, how will the techs/receptionists/managers react to you coming back as a doctor? How will your boss handle smoothing out those relationships (is his/her loyalty to his long time staff, or will s/he back you up 100% every time anyone tries to undermine your knowledge/authority)? I will tell you that as a new grad, your relationship with support staff is crucial, and a lot of that is determined by the attitude of your superiors. You will make some newbie mistakes, and you may at times feel as if you don't know what you're doing (and may not be able to hide those feelings). In that setting, it would be incredibly difficult to have support staff who are already leery of you based on your history. May or may not be an issue with this particular set of staff, and you may have similar issues regardless of where you end up... But something to think about. Nothing worse than having a tech with a chip on his/her shoulders who feels like s/he deserved to become a vet over you but didn't for some reason... undermining everything you do because of it.

This is exactly how I would feel. The clinic I worked at has a lot of pre-vet kids that either changed their mind or haven't gotten in yet. I still maintain that it's fantastic that we give them the chance because I definitely developed a lot of clinical skills working there that have really aided me these last few years, but it would be a little weird to come back if they were still there. Also, I started from the bottom at the hospital -- sounds like OP did as well. It would seem a little awkward to now be giving directives to the people who trained me and who used to tell me what to do.

It's definitely nothing you couldn't overcome. In a perfect world, everyone would have the required level of professionalism to move past any awkwardness; unfortunately, it's not always perfect.

This is something I've kind of contemplated. I didn't start at my current hospital as a pre-vet but during the summer between first and 2nd year (although I don't think that matters much). The practice manager has hinted at me possibly working there once I graduate (asked what my plans are, mentioned it in my progress reports, etc) and while I love everyone there, I don't think it'd necessarily be a good fit for me. I'd feel a bit weird giving directions to people I used to share responsibilities with (though I'm sure I could get over this) but it's more that while I love the vets, I don't think they would be great mentors for me, at least not right out of school. I've actually started leaning more towards an internship in the past couple months (esp. now after doing externships at other hospitals). Will I consider working there a few years out? Maybe...not sure (I also don't want to live where I'm from all my life). We also have one assistant who kind of fits the description that Minner's mentioned and I could potentially see her doing something like this to me, especially as the new vet. I don't particularly think anyone else would be a problem though...I think I would feel more awkward about it actually.

However, I will say that while it's not a guaranteed job by any means, it's a little confidence booster knowing that someone is already potentially interested in me and that they don't see me as a huge eff up/incapable of practicing vet med.

I have thought about this too. I worked with the same company for 7 years prior to vet school, in multiple hospitals (this isn't Banfield or VCA)... so I met a lot of vets and a lot of techs/assistants. I have also kept up with a lot of people.. some vets have left, some techs have left and some have stayed. However, even if they left that company many of them are still in the immediate area. I think it would be ok working with most of the people I have met through the years, but I have to admit that it would be awkward to be the one giving the directions now. Also, there are a number of techs (and a vet or two) that I worked with that I would rather not see again... we got along fine to work together but it would be awkward with me being a vet. The hardest part is that the people I have worked with are all spread out in my home town in various vet clinics, so if I want to go back to my home area, chances are I will be working with at least one or two people I have worked with previously. Warning: Vet med really is a small profession.

I will probably still apply for jobs in that area because it would be nice to be back home and close to family, but I am not going to limit myself to that one state/area. I will probably also apply for jobs in a few other states.

I am also still on the fence with the whole internship/residency thing... I was kind of straight up wanting to do an internship, but I think now I am leaning towards just getting a job right off, however my thoughts change constantly on what I want to do. If I weren't in so much debt already, I wouldn't be thinking twice about this and I would be going for an internship/residency.

Slightly different, but there was a specialty hospital near where my parents lived that i used to shadow at all the time prior to vet school. i thought a lot about doing an internship +/- residency there since it would financially set me up fairly well and i would be near my family. as the internship changed (declined) over the years and staff turnover was high, i realized that that was not a good option for me. things change, life changes. keep your options open :)

I've been meaning to jump in on this thread, so sorry for digging this up!

At the last clinic I worked at, the vet half jokingly/half seriously said, "Well, when you graduate, I can plan on retiring, right?" I laughed, but it got me thinking. Now, I'll make it clear that this particular clinic is not the norm. 100% paper, no computers/fax machine, only a microscope and centrifuge for 'lab equipment,' etc. If I had chosen to buy her out or at the very least, be a relief for her, I'd be looking at dropping down the standards that I had just graduated with or dropping a TON of money. Not to say she practices badly, I truly look up to her. If I chose to buy, I'd be looking at thousands upon thousands in upgrades. Probably another bundle of cash just to hire a service to convert the paper records to a computer system...it kind of pushed me away from the thought of actually going back to that clinic.

I agree with everyone that said you might have a hard time finding yourself in the decision-making position, when every else would be used to telling you what to do. I think a lot of your coworkers, likely the techs, might find it hard to understand that your four years in school really do make you the authority on medicine. I've worked with some techs who do think they know more than the vet, and that's without that vet leaving as an assistant and coming back as a doctor. It makes for a toxic workplace. I think it's a good idea to keep an open mind and apply elsewhere. If the owner truly meant that they'd have a position for you post-vet school (and like mentioned, they can say it but they don't always follow through), you'll have that paying position if you can't find something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been meaning to jump in on this thread, so sorry for digging this up!

At the last clinic I worked at, the vet half jokingly/half seriously said, "Well, when you graduate, I can plan on retiring, right?" I laughed, but it got me thinking. Now, I'll make it clear that this particular clinic is not the norm. 100% paper, no computers/fax machine, only a microscope and centrifuge for 'lab equipment,' etc. If I had chosen to buy her out or at the very least, be a relief for her, I'd be looking at dropping down the standards that I had just graduated with or dropping a TON of money. Not to say she practices badly, I truly look up to her. If I chose to buy, I'd be looking at thousands upon thousands in upgrades. Probably another bundle of cash just to hire a service to convert the paper records to a computer system...it kind of pushed me away from the thought of actually going back to that clinic.

I agree with everyone that said you might have a hard time finding yourself in the decision-making position, when every else would be used to telling you what to do. I think a lot of your coworkers, likely the techs, might find it hard to understand that your four years in school really do make you the authority on medicine. I've worked with some techs who do think they know more than the vet, and that's without that vet leaving as an assistant and coming back as a doctor. It makes for a toxic workplace. I think it's a good idea to keep an open mind and apply elsewhere. If the owner truly meant that they'd have a position for you post-vet school (and like mentioned, they can say it but they don't always follow through), you'll have that paying position if you can't find something else.

I had a similar half joke/half serious "if you work here after graduation, you can treat exotics!" from a clinic I'm spending time at right now. I'm really happy to know they don't think I'm completely incompetent, buuut I don't know if I'd want to work there. They're kind of the opposite of your clinic in that they have pretty much every toy, equipment-wise, that I could possibly want, but a lot of things there just make me rather uncomfortable.

I feel like with every new clinic I spend time at, I've learned a lot about what I want in a practice, and perhaps even more about what I don't want.

I had a similar half joke/half serious "if you work here after graduation, you can treat exotics!" from a clinic I'm spending time at right now. I'm really happy to know they don't think I'm completely incompetent, buuut I don't know if I'd want to work there. They're kind of the opposite of your clinic in that they have pretty much every toy, equipment-wise, that I could possibly want, but a lot of things there just make me rather uncomfortable.

I feel like with every new clinic I spend time at, I've learned a lot about what I want in a practice, and perhaps even more about what I don't want.
I think that's crucial to learn what you want in your future position. We're also all learning the type of people we don't want to work with/hire as well. I'm currently learning how awful it is to work in a place where the doctor doesn't trust the techs, the techs doubt the doctor, etc. Every job ever has its problems, but a good team doesn't face half of what a bad team does.

I think that's crucial to learn what you want in your future position. We're also all learning the type of people we don't want to work with/hire as well. I'm currently learning how awful it is to work in a place where the doctor doesn't trust the techs, the techs doubt the doctor, etc. Every job ever has its problems, but a good team doesn't face half of what a bad team does.

I'm stalking you on SDN today..... but that bolded statement. I left the clinic I worked at last summer in early December for family situations, the atmosphere of the clinic, and for finals week. I didn't know how long the family situation was going to go on for, so I just gave notice the day it started. The doctor said that when everything is fine, I would be welcome to come back. My dad had a new job however that was paying really well and even with the family situation, we were pretty solid. My parents were okay with me not working so I could solely focus on this semester since classes were really difficult while working at that clinic. Well, family situation went from bad to worse. January 15 rolled around and suddenly both parents were unemployed and my dad had not been at his new job long enough for us to really build up a savings. So I needed to get a job and pay for groceries and part of other miscellaneous bills. I specifically did not go back to that clinic, even though it was a readily available 9 dollars an hour, because of that bolded statement. I would work at a fast food place first. That 6 months in that clinic made me never own a clinic.

I'm stalking you on SDN today..... but that bolded statement. I left the clinic I worked at last summer in early December for family situations, the atmosphere of the clinic, and for finals week. I didn't know how long the family situation was going to go on for, so I just gave notice the day it started. The doctor said that when everything is fine, I would be welcome to come back. My dad had a new job however that was paying really well and even with the family situation, we were pretty solid. My parents were okay with me not working so I could solely focus on this semester since classes were really difficult while working at that clinic. Well, family situation went from bad to worse. January 15 rolled around and suddenly both parents were unemployed and my dad had not been at his new job long enough for us to really build up a savings. So I needed to get a job and pay for groceries and part of other miscellaneous bills. I specifically did not go back to that clinic, even though it was a readily available 9 dollars an hour, because of that bolded statement. I would work at a fast food place first. That 6 months in that clinic made me never own a clinic.
Yeah, it's pretty damn bad here. The techs spend 99% of the time just bitching about the doctor. One of the techs keeps saying things like "How dare she doubt my intelligence? She is the only person who hasn't encouraged me to go the DVM route." The other is a lot better about things, but still complains. I'm just shutting my ears off at this point because I'm sick of being talked at and expected to get involved.

Hey all, I thought I'd jump on this thread with a similar question. One of my "pre-vet" clinics is owned by my mother. While I plan to work elsewhere for a few years after I graduate, it is kind of expected that when she retires I purchase the practice from her. This will probably be a good economic choice for both me and her (so she can retire on the money), but as you all had mentioned above, I am worried that any of the staff that may still be working there from when I worked may have trouble accepting me as an adult and doctor. Thoughts?

Hey all, I thought I'd jump on this thread with a similar question. One of my "pre-vet" clinics is owned by my mother. While I plan to work elsewhere for a few years after I graduate, it is kind of expected that when she retires I purchase the practice from her. This will probably be a good economic choice for both me and her (so she can retire on the money), but as you all had mentioned above, I am worried that any of the staff that may still be working there from when I worked may have trouble accepting me as an adult and doctor. Thoughts?
Just fire them if they don't respect you and you can't get them to turn around.

It's way too early to consider this. They might not have a position open when you graduate. You might decide you want to practice sea turtle medicine or specialize in toe surgery or something completely unrelated to what they offer there. Like Minnerbelle said, don't put all of your eggs in one basket - explore the things that interest you outside of that particular clinic. If it just so happens they have an opening when you graduate, apply. It may work out and it may not, but don't go into school with that as your plan.

A new broom sweeps clean -- it's not unusual for new owners to change some, if not most, of the old staff. Give them a chance, and if they can't live up to your reasonable expectations, you can show them the door. It's a very different situation when you're signing the paycheques as opposed to when you are an employee (i.e. associate) vet.

Just fire them if they don't respect you and you can't get them to turn around.
:rofl:
On a serious note, I've wondered why the particular tech hasn't been fired. I think it's because this clinic experiences such a high turnover (the practice manager is the only person besides the doctor who has been here longer than 1.5 years), she's afraid to kick someone out who has stayed for a year. Ironically, that tech is quitting.

That wasn't a joke... When you're the boss there is absolutely no reason to continue employing people who don't respect you or will not address concerns/changes you would like implimented

Reactions: 1 users
That wasn't a joke... When you're the boss there is absolutely no reason to continue employing people who don't respect you or will not address concerns/changes you would like implimented
forgot to respond to this...

I laughed because no matter how valid that thinking is, I have never had an employer act that way. I can't tell you why they don't, but I have been left scratching my head numerous times. You'd think someone would be let go if they were dragging the team down, doing poorly even after being talked to, whatever.