Working during Post Bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMEDIC2DOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional student. Just curious about working while in 1 year post bac. Financially I think I could go without working but having income would make financial decision easier.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends, how soon you want to finish and if you're willing to live a famish lifestyle during your post-bacc (that's if you do not have any money saved). Are you planning on finishing it one year? I'm currently in a slow-paced "DIY post-bacc" because I have to work full-time as an RN (I have an infant and a toddler). If you have the luxury to go at a face-paced post-bacc and have no financial or family hindrance, I'd say go for it.

I would agree with the above, I'm working full time (more since I'm a salary employee), and it kinda sucks and I can't wait till my only obligation is school. Is there the possibility of a middle ground, i.e. 20 hours a week?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a paramedic, and you can get on a slow shift, work all you want. I'm currently averaging 2 calls per 24-hour shift, so there's plenty of time for studying...

I think everyone is alluding to this, but if you want to go to medical school, your grades should come before working. Then, if you have extra time you would like to spend working, go for it.

Like @Gurby, I worked as a paramedic during undergrad and post-bac, but I spread a DIY post-bac over 2 years instead of 1.

I think everyone is alluding to this, but if you want to go to medical school, your grades should come before working. Then, if you have extra time you would like to spend working, go for it.

Like @Gurby, I worked as a paramedic during undergrad and post-bac, but I spread a DIY post-bac over 2 years instead of 1.
What if I want to work "while" in Med school, do you think working as a paramedic is doable?

What if I want to work "while" in Med school, do you think working as a paramedic is doable?

I'll answer that question once I start in July. I know several paramedics who have worked during medical school.

Reactions: 1 user