Working for Walmart vs Target as Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dysic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm deciding which company I would like to have my pharmacist career with: Walmart or Target

Doing research online, this is some general pro's/con's I've come across on both.

I've heard Walmart has an excellent pharmacy computer system, while Target's computer system is horrible and inefficient. But, i read on another thread that Target working environment is somehow better than Walmart's (although it wasn't explained why). Target also focuses on training their employees with leadership and business classes.

I've never worked for either company....please correct me if I'm wrong and add anything else!

PS: As of right now, I'm leaning towards working for Walmart

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Target has hot moms while Walmart has...well you know

Target's computer system is only horrible during the first couple of weeks that you use it. After awhile it becomes pretty easy to use. It's annoying to use if you're a tech or intern and have to do a NDC change but pharmacist use is great. If only they got rid of the stupid folding origami crap they would be the best pharmacy in the country to work for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Target's computer system is only horrible during the first couple of weeks that you use it. After awhile it becomes pretty easy to use. It's annoying to use if you're a tech or intern and have to do a NDC change but pharmacist use is great. If only they got rid of the stupid folding origami crap they would be the best pharmacy in the country to work for.

I keep reading ppl mentioning Target is great...but what makes the work environment so great?

I hear Walmart staffs the pharmacy better (more tech and clerk help).

I keep reading ppl mentioning Target is great...but what makes the work environment so great?

I hear Walmart staffs the pharmacy better (more tech and clerk help).

I am also curious about that. I have not heard great stuff about them personally.

One thing to consider is Target's store manager is over the pharmacy. This could be difficult since the store manger has nothing to do with the pharmacy and no idea what working in one entails. I have seen it cause conflict that turns into the pharmacist defending the amount of work that is done. When the store manager wants to steal your techs for them to work as a cashier in the front lanes, there is not much you can do to stop it even if you are busy (assuming you actually have a cashier, which most don't). Also, in some smaller stores the work flow for the pharmacist consists of receiving, checking and releasing while the tech does all the entering and filling. (normally with one tech) However, it changes with the number of scripts filled. There is also a dress code for the pharmacist, red shirt and khaki pants with a lab coat which some like and some don't.

The computer system is old but once you get the hang of it (about a week), it is pretty easy and fast. A new system is in the works but not yet installed. They have a different bottle system which takes time to learn how to correctly label and bag which is extremely tedious and way over the top (IMO).

The "guests" of target's pharmacy seem to be better than wal-mart depending on the area you live in. As far as the work environment, they are closed for lunch for 30 min which is nice. They push you to spend a lot of time out in the aisles of the store (OTC section) and increase script sales, flu shots etc. If this is something you are interested in, this is the place for you.

Pretty accurate. I'll just make some comments...

One thing to consider is Target's store manager is over the pharmacy. This could be difficult since the store manger has nothing to do with the pharmacy and no idea what working in one entails. I have seen it cause conflict that turns into the pharmacist defending the amount of work that is done. When the store manager wants to steal your techs for them to work as a cashier in the front lanes, there is not much you can do to stop it even if you are busy (assuming you actually have a cashier, which most don't). Also, in some smaller stores the work flow for the pharmacist consists of receiving, checking and releasing while the tech does all the entering and filling. (normally with one tech) However, it changes with the number of scripts filled. There is also a dress code for the pharmacist, red shirt and khaki pants with a lab coat which some like and some don't.

That is definitely true about the manager. Not so sure about the techs being used as cashiers though. Never happened at my store and if it did, it was a cashier being sent off not a tech. The dress code makes me angry and most of the time I wore black. I absolutely hate khaki pants and so did the pharmacist I worked with (mainly because he worked 10 hour days and by hour 9, sweat was dripping down his back making it look like he peed his pants).

The computer system is old but once you get the hang of it (about a week), it is pretty easy and fast. A new system is in the works but not yet installed. They have a different bottle system which takes time to learn how to correctly label and bag which is extremely tedious and way over the top (IMO).

Everyone gripes about the computer system but it's easy and smooth as hell after a couple of weeks. It's annoying if you're a tech/intern, not as a pharmacist.

The "guests" of target's pharmacy seem to be better than wal-mart depending on the area you live in. As far as the work environment, they are closed for lunch for 30 min which is nice. They push you to spend a lot of time out in the aisles of the store (OTC section) and increase script sales, flu shots etc. If this is something you are interested in, this is the place for you.

I hate the term "guest".

worked at both:

both have their pros and both have their cons

its the lesser of two evils i guess

the biggest walmart con is the clientele they all attract....they come out of the woodworks to venture into your pharmacy....first of the month, busiest day of the month.....government checks are here!!!! but i had plenty of help.....techs and clerks galore.....sometimes too many people in the pharmacy, if that's even a problem hahaha....and u will probably NEVER use the tasco system to "ring out" a customer......HUGE plus

target had better "guests".....better eye candy....the khakis and red top didnt really bother me much.....i would have to answer "yes im the pharmacist" about 10 times a day and that got annoying....u will get used to PDX pretty quickly.....its not bad but the folding, ripping, sticking, and paper cuts sucked.....also u will develop finger-arthitis from the "rings" u put on the bottles.....and be ready to ring out bread, cat food, milk, sandals, DVDs.....u will be the highest paid cashier in the history of retail

i see ur in los angeles......what exact location.....and im sure u will be floating for target.....get ready to go as far as ventura and lancaster

worked at both:

both have their pros and both have their cons

its the lesser of two evils i guess

the biggest walmart con is the clientele they all attract....they come out of the woodworks to venture into your pharmacy....first of the month, busiest day of the month.....government checks are here!!!! but i had plenty of help.....techs and clerks galore.....sometimes too many people in the pharmacy, if that's even a problem hahaha....and u will probably NEVER use the tasco system to "ring out" a customer......HUGE plus

target had better "guests".....better eye candy....the khakis and red top didnt really bother me much.....i would have to answer "yes im the pharmacist" about 10 times a day and that got annoying....u will get used to PDX pretty quickly.....its not bad but the folding, ripping, sticking, and paper cuts sucked.....also u will develop finger-arthitis from the "rings" u put on the bottles.....and be ready to ring out bread, cat food, milk, sandals, DVDs.....u will be the highest paid cashier in the history of retail

i see ur in los angeles......what exact location.....and im sure u will be floating for target.....get ready to go as far as ventura and lancaster

Thanks for the replies! It's really helping me make the right decision for myself!

I am going to go with a grad intern position with walmart in a smaller city in northern california. It's a nice place ....kind of remote and surrounded by outdoors/forests

I never lived there but I think I would like it there since I love the outdoors....and I kind of wanted to get out of Los Angeles and the big cities anyways.

I went with Walmart because I heard of the good staffing (tech/clerk help), excellent computer system, and the position with walmart would be a staff position (I would not have to float).

Also, I have heard/read on the forums that Target used to be a good company to work for (in terms of corporate not being too unreasonable), but apparently some people think Target has gone down in that regard...the past couple years.

Do you mind filling out a quick pros/cons list for each company? Whatever comes to your mind would be really helpful!

i got five words for you:

you made the correct decision

:thumbup:

Wrong decision. Rumor has it that if you make 4 mistakes at walmart in one year you are fired. No more nice little trips to Bentonville.

Reactions: 1 users
Wrong decision. Rumor has it that if you make 4 mistakes at walmart in one year you are fired. No more nice little trips to Bentonville.

3 mistakes then you are sent to a "pharmacy camp". After that, one error and you're gone. Your rumor is truth.

Walmart pharmacist here.

pros: good staffing: My store does around 1700 per week. We have 2 pharmacists , 4 techs, and 1 clerk every day on weekdays.

8 hour shifts: Some people may prefer working longer hours and work less days a week, but I like working a 8 hour shift. I think Target have one pharmacist work all day.

less stressful metrics: I worked at CVS before and went thorough the whole metric craps like triple S, PCQ. well... I don't even remember other things, but I remember being stressed about all these numbers when I worked there. The metrics at Walmart are more reasonable and less pressured by district manger. Only thing is that Walmart seem to try to follow the footsteps of CVS and Walgreens because they have been coming out with new programs.

cons: schedule: Walmart have a central scheduler. Any vacation, time off requests have to be approved by the scheduler two months in advance. When I worked at CVS, as long as my partner agreed to cover my shift, I could take a day off anytime. Not at Walmart... It is so hard to take time off.

bentonville?..: I guess this could be a con since people above mentioned. It is true. If you make too many errors, you will get fired. I don't know exactly how many though. However, good computer system and good staffing at Walmart help a lot with accuracy. My error rate went down significantly after I moved to Walmart.

Members don't see this ad :)
Walmart pharmacist here.

pros: good staffing: My store does around 1700 per week. We have 2 pharmacists , 4 techs, and 1 clerk every day on weekdays.

8 hour shifts: Some people may prefer working longer hours and work less days a week, but I like working a 8 hour shift. I think Target have one pharmacist work all day.

less stressful metrics: I worked at CVS before and went thorough the whole metric craps like triple S, PCQ. well... I don't even remember other things, but I remember being stressed about all these numbers when I worked there. The metrics at Walmart are more reasonable and less pressured by district manger. Only thing is that Walmart seem to try to follow the footsteps of CVS and Walgreens because they have been coming out with new programs.

cons: schedule: Walmart have a central scheduler. Any vacation, time off requests have to be approved by the scheduler two months in advance. When I worked at CVS, as long as my partner agreed to cover my shift, I could take a day off anytime. Not at Walmart... It is so hard to take time off.

bentonville?..: I guess this could be a con since people above mentioned. It is true. If you make too many errors, you will get fired. I don't know exactly how many though. However, good computer system and good staffing at Walmart help a lot with accuracy. My error rate went down significantly after I moved to Walmart.

Awesome post! Seems like there are a lot more pros than cons, working for Walmart.

The 3-4 mistakes and bentonville/fired is a huge con, but I really like all the other pros. I guess I'll just be very careful and OCD when I work.

Any input on a recently opened walmart? The walmart I will be working at is in Eureka, California. It's a hard to hire area and the walmart there is the only one around (just opened last year 2012)

With all of the Walmart Express stores opening up, expect metrics to resemble those of CVS and Walgreens.

Is it a neighborhood market? Walmart are opening up a lot of neighborhood markets. All new stores are pretty slow the first year or two. I heard some DMs expect the pharmacists at new stores to go out on the floor and advertise pharmacy..:eek: Hope that is not your case. In general, the only Walmart store in a small town is very busy. So even though it may be slow at first because it just opened last year, it will get busier pretty soon.

Awesome post! Seems like there are a lot more pros than cons, working for Walmart.

The 3-4 mistakes and bentonville/fired is a huge con, but I really like all the other pros. I guess I'll just be very careful and OCD when I work.

Any input on a recently opened walmart? The walmart I will be working at is in Eureka, California. It's a hard to hire area and the walmart there is the only one around (just opened last year 2012)

Is it a neighborhood market? Walmart are opening up a lot of neighborhood markets. All new stores are pretty slow the first year or two. I heard some DMs expect the pharmacists at new stores to go out on the floor and advertise pharmacy..:eek: Hope that is not your case. In general, the only Walmart store in a small town is very busy. So even though it may be slow at first because it just opened last year, it will get busier pretty soon.

How dare they! They want you to go out---on the floor---talk to the customers---and grow the business?!?!

How dare they! They want you to go out---on the floor---talk to the customers---and grow the business?!?!

Hahaha retail pharmacists have absolutely no business sense.

I don't think Eureka is a small enough city to be considered neighborhood. Population is around 40,000...it's sort of a tourist town that's kind of remote.

There are a lot of other pharmacy retailers in the city (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Costco, etc), but it is the only Walmart in town.

I don't think Eureka is a small enough city to be considered neighborhood. Population is around 40,000...it's sort of a tourist town that's kind of remote.

There are a lot of other pharmacy retailers in the city (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Costco, etc), but it is the only Walmart in town.

uh oh......there goes the neighborhood! :smuggrin:

good luck up in eureka.....never been but you sound young and ambitious so i'm sure you will learn alot and do well for yourself

in a few yrs you can always transfer back to socal

they send out memos on open positions internally first before making it public on their website

Target has some pros - a pretty good employee discount, emphasis on the "business" aspect of pharmacy (if that interests you), fewer metrics than other chains, clean stores, team-based work environment. It has some cons too - ancient computer system, very few time saving innovations, and a strong emphasis on RxRewards program and RedCards. But the worst part (IMO) is that you get very little technician help. We work alone on the weekends and it can be exhausting. Even if you don't fill many prescriptions during your shift, you can be slammed with PSE sales, people picking up scripts, random questions, phone calls, etc. And they make you adjust your tech hours weekly based on volume. It's hard to keep good techs when the hours fluctuate so much.

Target has some pros - a pretty good employee discount, emphasis on the "business" aspect of pharmacy (if that interests you), fewer metrics than other chains, clean stores, team-based work environment. It has some cons too - ancient computer system, very few time saving innovations, and a strong emphasis on RxRewards program and RedCards. But the worst part (IMO) is that you get very little technician help. We work alone on the weekends and it can be exhausting. Even if you don't fill many prescriptions during your shift, you can be slammed with PSE sales, people picking up scripts, random questions, phone calls, etc. And they make you adjust your tech hours weekly based on volume. It's hard to keep good techs when the hours fluctuate so much.

And this is from a Target new hire! Target isn't as great as it used to be... Hope the new grads realize what they're getting themselves into..

I just wanted to add to this.

Walmart pharmacist here.

8 hour shifts: Some people may prefer working longer hours and work less days a week, but I like working a 8 hour shift. I think Target have one pharmacist work all day. Target either has 1 or 2 pharmacists depending on the store. The 9-9 stores have two pharmacists doing 8 hour shifts. The 9-7 stores have one pharmacists working 10 hour shifts.

less stressful metrics: I worked at CVS before and went thorough the whole metric craps like triple S, PCQ. well... I don't even remember other things, but I remember being stressed about all these numbers when I worked there. The metrics at Walmart are more reasonable and less pressured by district manger. Only thing is that Walmart seem to try to follow the footsteps of CVS and Walgreens because they have been coming out with new programs. Depends on the district I guess, but I feel like Target is becoming big on metrics too. Really driving flu shots, surveys, sales, pharmacy rewards, etc. etc. It becomes quite stressful for the pharmacists as we'll get a phone call from someone from corporate wondering why certain scores are low

cons: schedule: Walmart have a central scheduler. Any vacation, time off requests have to be approved by the scheduler two months in advance. When I worked at CVS, as long as my partner agreed to cover my shift, I could take a day off anytime. Not at Walmart... It is so hard to take time off. Target also has a central scheduler. Vacation days should also be requested two months in advance.

As other people have mentioned, the system is archaic. We don't fill as many scripts as other pharmacies, but you'll sure fill it. If you have 1 tech opening and the other doesn't come in till 1, you bet you'll be pulling, filling, checking, and probably ringing people up. The pharmacy hours are based on script count so tech hours will get cut. Also, the target labels are horrible!!!! WAY too many components! So although we don't fill as many scripts, it definitely feels busy.

Pros: Great benefits..benefits kicks in on the first day you start. Great 401k. Target will match 5%. I believe Walmart benefits don't start till 6 months later?

For Walmart 401k, they will match up to 6%....but starting on your 1 year anniversary of working there.

the scheduling was probably the single most stressful thing to "manage" as a target mgr

your hours flucuate WEEKLY based on the script # week prior

and consider all the "return to stocks".....you how to "estimate" how many returns you would have that week which would influence the # of hours......it was a chess match every single week

and you BETTER be "green" or else you will have to write an action plan on how you are going to correct the situation

the worst was that i had two full-time techs mon-fri and one tech or intern for sat and sun

i was literally counting each script count and trying to calculate how many hours i was going to have for the week and calling up technicians to see if they would like to pick up a couple more hours at my store just so i could be within the 95-100%. and God forbid if you UNDER-utilized the tech hours you earned......they actually wanted me to hire another FULLTIME technician and cut all FT techs to 32 hours/week because i was "under" 95% in scheduling efficiany

man, just writing this response brings back horrible nightmares :laugh:

the scheduling was probably the single most stressful thing to "manage" as a target mgr

your hours flucuate WEEKLY based on the script # week prior

and consider all the "return to stocks".....you how to "estimate" how many returns you would have that week which would influence the # of hours......it was a chess match every single week

and you BETTER be "green" or else you will have to write an action plan on how you are going to correct the situation

the worst was that i had two full-time techs mon-fri and one tech or intern for sat and sun

i was literally counting each script count and trying to calculate how many hours i was going to have for the week and calling up technicians to see if they would like to pick up a couple more hours at my store just so i could be within the 95-100%. and God forbid if you UNDER-utilized the tech hours you earned......they actually wanted me to hire another FULLTIME technician and cut all FT techs to 32 hours/week because i was "under" 95% in scheduling efficiany

man, just writing this response brings back horrible nightmares :laugh:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... PEAT and PWST. :laugh:

I just wanted to add to this.

Walmart pharmacist here.

8 hour shifts: Some people may prefer working longer hours and work less days a week, but I like working a 8 hour shift. I think Target have one pharmacist work all day. Target either has 1 or 2 pharmacists depending on the store. The 9-9 stores have two pharmacists doing 8 hour shifts. The 9-7 stores have one pharmacists working 10 hour shifts.

For the 9-7 stores, how do they typically split the hours between the partners? Total hours is 64 for the week. Is it 40 and 24 split? or is it 32 and 32 split? Thanks!

I know that Walmart. It is not a normal one in that it is a lot smaller than a regular one and is located in a depressing mall on the edge of town. Its lack of selection and less than ideal location limit its appeal so I'm not sure how busy the pharmacy will get.

For the 9-7 stores, how do they typically split the hours between the partners? Total hours is 64 for the week. Is it 40 and 24 split? or is it 32 and 32 split? Thanks![/QUOTE]

It's always 40/24 or just about there. The staff pharmacist still has to float 1-2 days per week depending on how many hours they want to give you.

I know that Walmart. It is not a normal one in that it is a lot smaller than a regular one and is located in a depressing mall on the edge of town. Its lack of selection and less than ideal location limit its appeal so I'm not sure how busy the pharmacy will get.

Seems like it shouldn't be a busy pharmacy then!

It's always 40/24 or just about there. The staff pharmacist still has to float 1-2 days per week depending on how many hours they want to give you.

In my district it is split 42/22. Most of the executive staff pharmacists are hired for part time (with benefits). I know of one who is 22 hours in her home store and floats two days per week to make FT. We also have PT and FT floaters.

When I was with Target last month, they changed our time off request to 3 months in advanced. Still better than when I was at CVS, one year in advance for this older female local scheduler who had a thing against young non-white pharmacist :uhno:

Oh yes, I do want to talk about metrics at Target. I mean, I don't mind it. It's part of the job, but one thing that bothers me is that the company fails to admit that they have chosen a poor location (edge of town, behind a giant mall) for a their pharmacy. And then, you as a pharmacy manager, who is a healthcare professional, somehow need to perform a miracle to turn that around. I'm not a fan of Donald Trump, but LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!

You'd think Target hires super smart people, but the only reason that Target stays in business is that once a year during Christmas they make sales to keep the store open. It's ridiculous...:uhno:

Last edited:

My last few months was horrible, basically working without tech help. It was kind of sad because customers are happy with the service, every metric was green except sales and scripts. I guess those two things trump everything else in the business world. When you're answering every single phone call, helping and ringing every customer for 10 hours straight while trying to fill prescriptions, it gets very exhausting.

No one understands how that can really take a toll on someone unless experiencing it first hand. You're right about not being able to keep good techs. No one is going to want to put in that much effort for a 10 hour a week job (that 10 hours is still not guaranteed). I was lucky that I had one really loyal tech. I felt bad for him though.

My last few months was horrible, basically working without tech help. It was kind of sad because customers are happy with the service, every metric was green except sales and scripts. I guess those two things trump everything else in the business world. When you're answering every single phone call, helping and ringing every customer for 10 hours straight while trying to fill prescriptions, it gets very exhausting.

No one understands how that can really take a toll on someone unless experiencing it first hand. You're right about not being able to keep good techs. No one is going to want to put in that much effort for a 10 hour a week job (that 10 hours is still not guaranteed). I was lucky that I had one really loyal tech. I felt bad for him though.

We are having trouble meeting our RxRewards metric. The problem is that we are expected to get 3 new enrollments per day, but our store has mostly medicaid/medicare patients and they aren't eligible. Some days I go the entire day without encountering an eligible patient who isn't already enrolled.

What are you doing now?

We are having trouble meeting our RxRewards metric. The problem is that we are expected to get 3 new enrollments per day, but our store has mostly medicaid/medicare patients and they aren't eligible. Some days I go the entire day without encountering an eligible patient who isn't already enrolled.

What are you doing now?

Isn't the RxRewards metric based on what percent you get people that are eligible to enroll? So if there are no "new and eligible" patients it shouldn't really hurt your score...at least that's what I thought.

Isn't the RxRewards metric based on what percent you get people that are eligible to enroll? So if there are no "new and eligible" patients it shouldn't really hurt your score...at least that's what I thought.

It's a little more complicated than that, but basically yes. They still want us to get 3/day. We're supposed to send an email to all the ETLs plus the RXBP and someone else each night reporting the number of new enrollments and the number of guests we sign up for text messaging.

It's a little more complicated than that, but basically yes. They still want us to get 3/day. We're supposed to send an email to all the ETLs plus the RXBP and someone else each night reporting the number of new enrollments and the number of guests we sign up for text messaging.

OMG! they added a new report on # of "guests" you sign up for Text Messaging alert?

they are truly insane

and then they will have weekly conference calls during your technicians' lunches, start off with BS "recognitions", then go over the "winning" stores for the week, and finish off with how store xxx is able to make goal for rxrewards and share their "secrets" with the rest of the district

clachan3.....when did u quit???? 10 hours is tiring.....especially ringing up dog food, milk, and Sudafed all shift with both phone lines ringing and 80 autofills staring you in the face.....

OMG! they added a new report on # of "guests" you sign up for Text Messaging alert?

they are truly insane

and then they will have weekly conference calls during your technicians' lunches, start off with BS "recognitions", then go over the "winning" stores for the week, and finish off with how store xxx is able to make goal for rxrewards and share their "secrets" with the rest of the district

clachan3.....when did u quit???? 10 hours is tiring.....especially ringing up dog food, milk, and Sudafed all shift with both phone lines ringing and 80 autofills staring you in the face.....

And the process for signing up for text messages is not easy or intuitive. Nothing in that computer system is!

And the process for signing up for text messages is not easy or intuitive. Nothing in that computer system is!

Don't you have to enter each number in and have the patient text back a unique code? Way too complicated if you ask me.

Don't you have to enter each number in and have the patient text back a unique code? Way too complicated if you ask me.

Yeah, there are a bunch of steps. We have a card that shows how that we keep next to the computer. If it requires a card with flow chart, it's too complicated.

Yeah, there are a bunch of steps. We have a card that shows how that we keep next to the computer. If it requires a card with flow chart, it's too complicated.

Oh, come on. Its not THAT difficult. Maybe 10 seconds worth of typing and another five to explain how/when to reply with the three digit confirmation code. Annoying? Certainly. Complicated? Eh.

Oh, come on. Its not THAT difficult. Maybe 10 seconds worth of typing and another five to explain how/when to reply with the three digit confirmation code. Annoying? Certainly. Complicated? Eh.

:shrug:

I never remember how to do it. Perhaps I'm too focused on unimportant things like entering and filling/checking their medications correctly.

Youre right. Trivial tasks are a waste of your time.

They aren't a complete waste, but it's pretty hard to focus on them when you are trying to fill/check without making errors. I never understood it either, until I actually worked as a pharmacist.

Walmart is going to implement a new 3gs or some new scheduling system. Expect to get less tech help and possibly shorter pharmacist shifts = more working days. That is at least how my store was going to be affected. Now I don't care because I quit :)

Walmart is going to implement a new 3gs or some new scheduling system. Expect to get less tech help and possibly shorter pharmacist shifts = more working days. That is at least how my store was going to be affected. Now I don't care because I quit :)

That is no good :(

Hey everybody,
Has things changed about Target since earlier this year? I have a phone interview on Monday and not sure what i should do to prepare. Thanks!

Hey Everyone,, OK reading this thread made me really scared and anxious,, I got 2 offers ,, one from CVS and other from Walmart, what do u think guys?? any info is appreciated,, its a really tough decision!!