Working full time and studying for Mcats possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esik

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26yo and have been out of school for several years. Currently I hold a full time job in OR based medical sales but am interested in pursuing my original plan of becoming a doctor.

What is the best way to prepare for the MCATS without having 5+ hrs every day to commit? What is the average length of studying?

Should I begin studying for the new MCAT?

Any advise from others in my position would be helpful as I am a bit lost and don’t know how to get started. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't recommend studying while working full time. I did that while taking a TPR evening course. Even though you may have energy to work all day and attend classes or whatever, when it comes down to it, you'll get burnt out.. especially since you've been out of school for several years. Maybe you'll be able to remember more. Your best bet is to just go with this current MCAT and start studying/assessing yourself ASAP. Try to take it in Jan. That's my plan.

Reactions: 1 users
I did this. I think the best way is to teach others. Get a part time job at TPR, Kaplan, or EK. It's twofold: 1. you are accountable for showing up, but 2. you NEEED to know the material, so sitting there and letting one thing go in one ear and out the other isn't an option.

I studied and worked full-time. And now I am working full-time, taking class, and applying. It's absolutely possible, but your time management game has to be solid. Also, it will take you more time to study effectively, owing to the fact that you're losing so many hours to your other obligations. Tack on several more weeks to what people typically use to study, be diligent, and you can definitely do it.

I get my MCAT score back on Tuesday, but my AAMC average was 34.3, with a high of 38. So, you CAN be successful in this scenario.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I studied and worked full-time. And now I am working full-time, taking class, and applying. It's absolutely possible, but your time management game has to be solid. Also, it will take you more time to study effectively, owing to the fact that you're losing so many hours to your other obligations. Tack on several more weeks to what people typically use to study, be diligent, and you can definitely do it.

I get my MCAT score back on Tuesday, but my AAMC average was 34.3, with a high of 38. So, you CAN be successful in this scenario.

That's awesome! What were your study techniques? and how long have you been out of school?

That's awesome! What were your study techniques? and how long have you been out of school?

Well, I got my BSc (in film production and critical studies) in 2009, started a post-bacc in 2010, finished the post-bacc in 2012, and am now taking some miscellaneous courses. So.... technically I've been out of an official program for over two years, and am not a science major. But, I have been a full-time researcher since 2010. Been on the grind through the worst of it, but had no choice financially. Worked out well, though.

I leaned heavily on the TBR books. I thought that their physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physiology books were outstanding. The cellular biology book is INCREDIBLY in depth and not as useful for the MCAT, but I'm definitely going to pull that puppy out for my biochem course next semester.

I used a lot of flashcards, took a lot of practice exams, and did a LOT of practice. The biggest epiphany came to me when I finally learned the AAMC's language. Learning to interpret not what they're asking, but what they actually want, is probably 80% of the battle.

Last edited:
Working 2 part time jobs now + 2 volunteer. I wasn't working for the first 3 months of studying though. I would say definitely possible, but really just need to be patient. You should spend a bit longer than 3-4 months studying. And try to make the most of each studying session, pure SN2ed scheduling is not recommending but should still be used as a general guideline.

For some reason or another I feel like driving wastes a lot of time. So either study if you can on a bus, or just don't keep moving around the place every other hour, always know the nearest library.

Work has different connotations to different people. There are bakers, butchers, musicians, chefs, salesman, warehouse workers, EMT's, full time nurses......in short all kinds of folks who have attempted MCAT along with work and been successful, ORperhaps not. With all that said, let me just say "DO NOT DESIRE IT". If you can go part time - jump on that. A lot of folks don't have an option but to work full time to support themselves. Many don't have the flexibility to convert part time. (In my workplace I can't even disclose it. Like my CIO said, if you don't like the bus I am driving, jump off the wagon). You will never get the feel of day after day regular 6~10 hrs per day study mode that is essential a month or 2 before the exam. Just see the way people study for this. Literally 24x7. At 3 am there are 150 users watching Chad videos, imagine that. And what you will struggle the most is - you can put in 8~10 hrs on weekends but come Monday all the momentum will be gone; a deflated balloon. So become charged for 2 days and then lose a chunk of it on Monday. And how much can you study after hrs. Say 2 or 3; if you are really very committed say 4. But can you do that 3 months in a row? Perhaps not. There will be hits and misses, a lot of misses and that hurts for this exam in the long run. Its like someone hammering constantly on cold iron to mold it. Will it take the shape? And that desperation is not very helpful psychologically. It will drive u nuts, u will look for ways to isolate, stay away from people, projects, assignments - and when exam time approaches the bombardment on your time will seem very real!. And work places are full of button pushers. Your first thought on anything new that comes your way will be - how will this impact my MCAT like for ex., travelling for training purposes etc., and you will have to come up with excuses. Lunch time meetings / trainings will be a curse, cause they cut in your study time. And then fake enthusiasm to show involvement, commitment at work. A few days will go by and your MCAT books will be lying, cold untouched. This story will repeat whether you like it or not. After all u are a human being. So think about it. Furthermore, forget about FL's in the middle of the week. Not possible. Wait for the weekends. Don't be misled by the fact that people work full time, attend evening courses and finish their degrees. That is possible! and not a huge deal. But this exam is not an evening course. It needs a lot of work, constant attention.......

Reactions: 1 users
Its possible to score well with a full time work schedule but its difficult and you may need 5 months of studying to be prepared. You will need to be careful with burning out though and it may be difficult to score well on all three sections, at least it was for me.

It's not impossible but it's much harder than dedicating full-time to studying. But let's be honest, why quit a good job if you don't know the outcome? The most important part is taking the MCAT when you are ready, and you can achieve that in many different ways especially since you have been out of school and don't have a definite timeline. You could consider taking 2 weeks off before the test of even going on unpaid leave for a month if that's possible. You can build a strong application even when you have a demanding job but it's certainly harder. When you have a good score, make sure you apply early (cycle) and have great LORs. Good luck!

I am 26yo and have been out of school for several years. Currently I hold a full time job in OR based medical sales but am interested in pursuing my original plan of becoming a doctor.

What is the best way to prepare for the MCATS without having 5+ hrs every day to commit? What is the average length of studying?

Should I begin studying for the new MCAT?

Any advise from others in my position would be helpful as I am a bit lost and don’t know how to get started. Thanks in advance!!

It's possible but you won't have much of a social life.
I work full time as a research technician so I just stayed at the lab after work and studied from 5pm or 6pm until 11pm before going home. Repeat for...two months?
Since you don't have 5+ hours every day to dedicate to studying, I would dedicate whatever time you have and during the week and stick to a study plan. In your case, studying on the weekend is even more crucial. You can get a lot done but again, you won't really have time to hang out with people or have fun if you really want to be productive with studying.
At one point, I was taking evening classes so that really cut into my study time.

I ended up with a balanced 35. It's completely miserable but if you're willing to put in the work, it's definitely possible.

I worked 40 hours a week-not including a daily 1.5 hour commute-for 10/14 weeks i studied and my AAMC average was 36 (took it Wednesday so I don't know my actual score yet) so it's possible. It was definitely pretty draining though.

Well, I got my BSc (in film production and critical studies) in 2009, started a post-bacc in 2010, finished the post-bacc in 2012, and am now taking some miscellaneous courses. So.... technically I've been out of an official program for over two years, and am not a science major. But, I have been a full-time researcher since 2010. Been on the grind through the worst of it, but had no choice financially. Worked out well, though.

I leaned heavily on the TBR books. I thought that their physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physiology books were outstanding. The cellular biology book is INCREDIBLY in depth and not as useful for the MCAT, but I'm definitely going to pull that puppy out for my biochem course next semester.

I used a lot of flashcards, took a lot of practice exams, and did a LOT of practice. The biggest epiphany came to me when I finally learned the AAMC's language. Learning to interpret not what they're asking, but what they actually want, is probably 80% of the battle.

did you soley just use the TBR books for practice or did you also supplement it with others.
I also work full-time and took mcat this August 27th. Except I know I bombed it.
I need to retake and since in the schools that I will be applying to, the old mcat is no longer applicable starting next app cycle.. I need to take the 2015 exam. I want to start studying now. The only problem is which material should I use?? Since the mcat is completely changed now. I read on some site that its changed by 50%! so I dont understand what I shud do? Wait for the new books or start on the old ones?
Also, does anyone happen to know when TBR is planning to sell their 2015 books?

I worked 40 hours a week-not including a daily 1.5 hour commute-for 10/14 weeks i studied and my AAMC average was 36 (took it Wednesday so I don't know my actual score yet) so it's possible. It was definitely pretty draining though.

thts just amazing congratulations!
how long did you spend in studying overall? and which mcat materials did you use?

did you soley just use the TBR books for practice or did you also supplement it with others.
I also work full-time and took mcat this August 27th. Except I know I bombed it.
I need to retake and since in the schools that I will be applying to, the old mcat is no longer applicable starting next app cycle.. I need to take the 2015 exam. I want to start studying now. The only problem is which material should I use?? Since the mcat is completely changed now. I read on some site that its changed by 50%! so I dont understand what I shud do? Wait for the new books or start on the old ones?
Also, does anyone happen to know when TBR is planning to sell their 2015 books?

*TBR (content and ALL questions)
*TPR-Hyperlearning Workbook (not as many questions as I wanted, but I thought it was great prep)
*As many AAMC exams as I could get my hands on. Even the old R-exams.

The books--for the sciences--that exist now are probably fine. Sciences are static.