Working in a basic science lab in PhD phase of MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamikaze1992

Moew
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently an rotating MD/PhD student and am very interested in getting scientific training in a basic science lab, which studies the basic biology of CRISPR-Cas. I felt during initial my rotation that the lab is the best fit for my personalities, techniques, mentorship etc.
Clinically, however, I'm interested in cancer.
I was wondering if doing a thesis in a basic science lab would conflict with my clinical interest in the long run, especially for residency?? What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

CRISPR/genetic engineering is a really hot topic and very likely to be increasingly clinically relevant, so I think this could set you up nicely for your future career. Way more so than say, studying plant genetics. Seems to me like residency is unlikely to care that much either way, unless you're doing something really clinical, which is pretty rare for a PhD.

This sounds like SCIENCE to me. Even better for you, it sounds like something that could easily be applied to cancer.

5zFWeSu7.png

What did you think you were signing up for when you signed up for that whole PhD dealy?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So if you are interested in researching CRISPR/Cas9 with the intent of eventually using it to treat cancer, is that translational research...?

*palm to face* on this thread

Reactions: 1 user