working in a chiro office???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommyz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear some bad things about working for chiropractors, though I don't think that should be generalized to all practices.... your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the same bad things. It is more business oriented. The chiro will want you to do things his/her way. You order physical therapy and EMG's on everyone. Care is predicated on the type of insurance/payor.

I hear some bad things about working for chiropractors, though I don't think that should be generalized to all practices.... your thoughts?

no. it SHOULD be generalized to all practices. not that all chiros are charlatans, or that chiros do not serve a role in the treatment of certain populations, but under no circumstances should a physiatrist be working for a chiropractor

Members don't see this ad :)
no. it SHOULD be generalized to all practices. not that all chiros are charlatans, or that chiros do not serve a role in the treatment of certain populations, but under no circumstances should a physiatrist be working for a chiropractor

Perhaps this varies state to state, but can a physiatrist (or any MD/DO) be employed by a DC? My (admittedly limited) understanding is that, because a DC has a limited license and an MD/DO has a much broader scope of practice, an MD/DO cannot be employed by a DC. Equal partners in the practice, perhaps, but not working for the DC. Am I incorrect?

Perhaps this varies state to state, but can a physiatrist (or any MD/DO) be employed by a DC? My (admittedly limited) understanding is that, because a DC has a limited license and an MD/DO has a much broader scope of practice, an MD/DO cannot be employed by a DC. Equal partners in the practice, perhaps, but not working for the DC. Am I incorrect?

Just as MDs/DOs can be employed in hospitals or group practices, it is possible for them to be employed in an office owned by a DC. It is just a business arrangement and has nothing to do with who has the broader scope of practice. It does not seem intuitive to do so, but perhaps some MDs are good doctors and great with patients but are unable to market their practices effectively. This probably applies to the US only, but not in Canada where MDs are part of the public health care system, and thus little marketing is required on the part of the MD.

It varies by state. Some states do not allow MDs to be employed by hospitals.

There's nothing wrong with joining forces with a chiro if your practice beliefs are congruent with that. Not all chiros are spine crackers. Many employ PTs and tend toward allopathic or osteopathic treatment paradigms.

It would depend on what they want you to do, and what you are willing to do.

E.g. if they want to see and evaluate the patients themselves and then send them to you just for injections, you will be a needle monkey with likely poor patient selection for injections. If they want you to consult and treat the patient as you see fit, that can work out well.

be wary of a chiro that wants 4 limb EMG's on every patient
beware of a practice that is heavily dependent on wcomp, med/legal, and auto insurance
And remember that whoever employs you will expect you to do what they want, regardless of how it impacts the patient