Working in the UK, Australia..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobie

When in doubt, open another pharmacy school
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping for some insight on taking my 10 years of experience and PharmD degree and moving the family out of the USA to the UK, or Australia. Hoping for some input and maybe some information on where to start. I don't even know if they will accept my degree. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the help! I figured since my kiddos are young, and if there was an opportunity, it would be fun to go try something else.

Information for getting licensed in Australia here:
http://pharmacycouncil.org.au/content/index.php?id=11

It looks like you do some exams and a shortened period of supervised practice.

Getting a work visa is a separate process.

But I think the pay in Australia is very low. Exchange rate is about 1:1, so ~$32/hr.

Retail pharmacists in Australia make much less than here in the US. They start off around 65-70k if they're lucky, Australia is becoming saturated in some parts. If you own your pharmacy you're well off but the chains are taking over many independents. Pharmacists working for big pharma makes more money and you may not need to be licensed there since you will not be a practicing (dispensing) pharmacist. (Source: friend is in pharmacy school in Oz)

I think the hardest part of the process is finding a company to sponsor your work visa since being a pharmacist is not an "in demand" profession and getting someone to do the supervised practice.

I've looked into working in Oz because i'll likely move there after becoming an Aussie citizen through marriage.