"Working Vacation" Locums gigs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
- Hey all,

So, after the recent trip to New Mexico - I got to thinking: "Hey, what if I wanted to pull some locums shifts out here (there seem to be plenty), and parlay that into a "working vacation" of sorts.

Anyone have success/failure/whatever with trying to do this ?

Members don't see this ad.

I knew a guy who worked for Weatherby full time and would do this... of sorts. He did a 6 mo gig in Alaska and turned it into a giant work vacation. It probably works best if you're single. I worked part time Weatherby for 2 years and I know those Caribbean gigs would always get snapped up fast. I'd have my agent leave me a message... I'd call back 30 minutes later and it would be taken. I don't see any reason you couldn't do locums through someone like that and turn it into a vacation though you probably would have less time to "vacation" while you're working.

Members don't see this ad :)
www.weatherbyhealthcare.com

Unlike Teamhealth, Apollo, Schumachergroup, etc.. they tend to specialize in pure temporary locums work and do not run ED contracts that I'm aware of... I had a pretty good experience with them but they definitely earn a severe profit margin off what you make. I have no financial relationship to them whatsoever.

I'm wondering how the logistics of locums works from a living perspective. I understand if you picked up a locums gig in Alaska or wherever for x number of months then lived there during that time. However, could one live in say San Diego and contract through one of these companies travelling to different sites for shorter periods of time?

- Hey all,

So, after the recent trip to New Mexico - I got to thinking: "Hey, what if I wanted to pull some locums shifts out here (there seem to be plenty), and parlay that into a "working vacation" of sorts.

Anyone have success/failure/whatever with trying to do this ?
I've done this in Texas and it works out pretty well.