Working vs. PA school...Is it possible or don't even think about it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalcami

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious to know If it is possible to juggle a job while in PA school, since most students previously worked in the medical field, do they just lighten their work load or do they only work during the summer?
Also is there a way you can work as a PA student while in school (If this sounds stupid sorry I still want to know :confused: )

I'm asking because I notice some people post that they have famlies and I know everybody is not living rent free...Are you living off of school loans, have a generous family, WHAT?. I want the real picture here!

-THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Members don't see this ad.

working while in pa school, well anything is possible. pa school is intense, do you think you could work while in med school? it's only two years remember, you'll be working before you know it.
everyone at my school lived off loans, i lived like a king (buddy of mine bought a car on his student loans) and the most debt i heard anyone having was less than 55k at the end. that's peanuts with today's low interest rates and the wage you'll make as a pa.

I worked a few medic shifts/week during didactics, maybe 24 hrs/week-mostly nights and weekends(none during clinicals) but was able to study between calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the people in my class don't work. But few have on-campus jobs, like as fitness center/pool supervisors, which doesn't require much actual work, they actually study while getting paid! I kept my job 7 months into PA school, as a medical technologist, and quit last December - only working once or twice a month. It helped a little, but focusing on school is more important!! So now I depend solely on loans and very generous parents!!

I worked as an RN about 2 weekend shifts per month all through PA school. I was one of about three out of thirty who did it. I would not recommend working if you can afford not to. My program basically said "don't work" I had to be kind of quiet about it.
I guess you cannot really call it work, as I was in a nursing home, studying half the shift unless someone fell or something.
Pat

...I only know of a couple of people who had work-study jobs during our didactic year..working about 10 hrs a week. Personally, there is NO way I could have worked during the didactic year, & it seems impossible to work during clinicals.
If you are fortunate enough to get accepted, please don't worry about the money. There are plenty of loans, grants, & scholarships available to you. You should be frugal & budget your 'borrowed' money, but it has not been a problem at all living on loans.

M :)

Thanks Pat and Monika, that's good to know.

Monika said:
...I only know of a couple of people who had work-study jobs during our didactic year..working about 10 hrs a week. Personally, there is NO way I could have worked during the didactic year, & it seems impossible to work during clinicals.
If you are fortunate enough to get accepted, please don't worry about the money. There are plenty of loans, grants, & scholarships available to you. You should be frugal & budget your 'borrowed' money, but it has not been a problem at all living on loans.

M :)