PhD/PsyD Working while in grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychguynow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in getting some feedback on a question regarding picking up some extra work while in grad school. I am currently in a fully funded Phd program but my program does not have summer funding. In addition, during the school year, I am finding that I have some extra time and would like to earn a little extra money during my breaks or slow weeks. My understanding is that some semesters will be harder than others and so working will not always be feasible. I have heard of some students in various programs doing different kinds of freelance work (both psych related and non psych related). Thus, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with taking on work during the school year/summer and what your experience as like?

Members don't see this ad.

I did freelance work with computer networks for a couple of businesses. I also worked as a TA and did some paid practicums. One colleague was trying to work a regular job and that was a nightmare for them even though it was part time. Flexibility is key because the academic workload varies so much from week to week or as you mentioned from semester to semester. Also, some practicums will be tougher than others.

Agreed that a job requiring a set schedule would likely be pretty tough to pull off.

You'll want to run all of this by your program/DCT first, to be sure they're actually ok with it. I didn't work entirely outside my program while in grad school, but some professors did have private practices where work was available, and hourly clinic work was available during the summer for those without a year-round practicum placement.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't recommend it during the early years, but for more advanced graduate students it can be done. I did some freelance scientific writing during my later years in graduate school and it doubled my personal income. It was also a nice change of pace and exposed me to other fields of study. I've known other people who did psychometrist-type work or contract data management/analysis work for extra pay during grad school. If you only want to work during summer, you might look for teaching opportunities at your institution or others nearby. Those are a few reasonable options. I'd recommend sticking with work that makes use of your advanced knowledge and skills. You should be open with your DCT about your other commitments and make sure you're within your program's policies for outside employment.

My program didn't care as long as you got all of your program stuff done in a timely manner. In my last three years, I did testing for a federal Alzheimer's grant that paid fairly well as well as working as an blind evaluator for a project going in in our program. Takeaway point, it can be done, but only if you can realistically spare the time. I would not have been able to make it work in years 1-2, but was doable in years 3+.

Be sure to get approval if you are going to work during the year. For the summer, you might be able to find some temporary work if you just want to make some money. Ideally you could do something like AA and Wis suggested though and have it be relevant to what you are doing the rest of the time.

Great, thank you all so much for the suggestions. I will be certain to check with the DCT first and also to keep in mind the need for something flexible. Thanks again!