Working with SE-ED/SE-AN patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceke2002

Purveyor of Strange
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After perusing a number of articles discussing research such as Dr. Stephen Touyz's studies comparing the effectivenesss of CBT with SSCM in the treatment of SE-ED/SE-AN (severe and/or enduring eating disorder/severe and/or enduring anorexia nervosa, for anyone reading along), and also reviewing RANZCP's latest guidelines on the clinical management of Eating Disorders, I am just curious to know if anyone on here works with this particular patient population? And if so what do you think of the comparative effectiveness of CBT vs SSCM; are there other treatments you would consider to be more, or less effective in the treatment of SE-ED/SE-AN patients compared to what might be thought of as 'standard treatment protocol' (is there even a standard treatment protocol for SE-ED/SE-AN?); where do you see the study and/or treatment of SE-ED/SE-AN heading in the future; and lastly most articles and clinical guidelines mention a high risk of countertransference when treating SE-ED/SE-AN patients, so how does that countertransference tend to manifest and what sorts of things do you need to be aware of as a therapist/treating physician?

(Obligatory discussion note: I'm not asking anyone to comment on my diagnosis or treatment. I'm just curious about the view from the opposite side of the table, so to speak -- especially because this is a patient population I can envision wanting to work with myself one day, whether in a research or treatment capacity.)

:bookworm:

Members don't see this ad.