Workload at BS MD Programs

NorthwesternHPME

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I was wondering about on average how many hours of work you all in BS MD Guaranteed programs get each day on average. (Try to answer without a tremendous amount of SDN criticism). About how many hours did you get in undergrad and then in med school?

THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a normal undergrad and a normal med school unless you have a accelerated 7 year.

That is, a three to four hours a day as an undergrad, and based on my SMP, 8 hours as a medical student.

I just missed the cut off to continue in my BS/MD program and had to get a special masters and reapply 2 years later. Just got accepted to the MD school I would have gone had I scored .1 GPA higher and 1 MCAT pointer higher lol

Please please please don't make the same mistake I did and 'relax' in undergrad and assume you are guaranteed admission to medical school. I wish I had never done BSMD because I wasn't mature enough to take advantage of the program. Had I gone without I KNOW I would have kicked butt and been in med school 'on time'.

Ok, thanks, I hope u don't mind my asking, but what BS MD program did you go to? I heard that at places like HPME and PLME aren't too strict about ur GPA and grades. But 3-4 hrs a day doesn't sound like much at all! That would leave like a good 2 hrs to fool around. One of my friends is an undergrad at the University of Chicago and he scared me with his 9-10 hrs of work a day (stays up till 3 AM and is not a procastinator)... I felt bad wasting fifteen mins of his time

Members don't see this ad :)
The workload is as light or heavy as you want it to be, especially for a program like PLME where you can pick whatever classes you want. I think I do about 6 hours of work on weekdays. Other people can do only 3 hours a day, and then get Bs. It's about how hard you want/need to work as an undergrad.

Really? Just 3-6 hours at a competitive school's program? Just from AP courses (about 6 or 7), people at my school have about 7-10 hours of study/homework..

It's a normal undergrad and a normal med school unless you have a accelerated 7 year.

That is, a three to four hours a day as an undergrad, and based on my SMP, 8 hours as a medical student.

I just missed the cut off to continue in my BS/MD program and had to get a special masters and reapply 2 years later. Just got accepted to the MD school I would have gone had I scored .1 GPA higher and 1 MCAT pointer higher lol

Please please please don't make the same mistake I did and 'relax' in undergrad and assume you are guaranteed admission to medical school. I wish I had never done BSMD because I wasn't mature enough to take advantage of the program. Had I gone without I KNOW I would have kicked butt and been in med school 'on time'.

The last paragraph is spot on. Don't go in with a sense of entitlement.

But I heard that the more competitive and prestigious programs like HPME and PLME (or GPPA and Boston University's program) basically keep everyone and everyone matriculated to med school even if his or her GPA is slightly below the cutoff. Besides, it's not an actual guaranteed medical program if you have to take the MCATs and you're not granted admission into med school if you don't.

Btw...I think that having a guaranteed spot in med school is more important than going to a prestigious undergrad institution.