World Cup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We need a World Cup thread.

What a game.

Been waiting for this for 8 years ...

The view from my seat 8 years ago when Ghana beat us in Nuremberg:

usa-ghana45.jpg

That was agonizing.

Next up Portugal, minus Pepe and with a gimpy Ronaldo ... have to say I like our chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
John Brooks was a great find by Klinsmann. He's the sort of guy the US needs to target to finally get to the next level. Players who are challenged at the global level and not just playing in the MLS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Germany's my pick to win it all.

But ... beat Portugal and we're out of the group and the Germany game only matters for 2nd round seeding. Tie Portugal, and we're still probably out of the group on goal differential, unless Germany blows us out.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. We keep our heads straight against Portugal and we'll get a pass.

Netherlands is also looking pretty strong (again:eek:). They spanked Spain after they took the 2010 world cup in the finals. I'm sure that felt pretty good. Honestly though, I expected a little more from the 2010 WC champs.

Ahh... good times. Maybe I'll dig up my Copa Mundials out of the closet and dust them off a bit.

Awesome start to the WC for USA.

That firt goal was a slick: Juke followed by a lefty hitting the post. Ghana's banana shot was pretty amazing though.
Taking it at the 86th minute with a header is just money. Good stuff USA.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014/06/highlights-united-states-vs-ghana-june-16-2014

The big elephant in the room is Germany. Protugal got spanked. We'll see how we do.

Hopefully playing against Germany's second string (assuming they beat Ghana) will help the US in goal differential even if the US loses to the German backups.

http://www.your****isweak.net/wordsareweak/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Nascar-Boring.gif

You're right. I don't get it. It's like slow hockey. Take the goalie out of it and I might get interested.

Do you know what basketball would be if there was a guy standing on a stepladder in front of the goal and able to block nearly every shot? Boring.

Any match that takes 90+ minutes to determine an outcome of 1-0, 2-1, 0-2, etc. is not for me.

You're right. I don't get it. It's like slow hockey. Take the goalie out of it and I might get interested.

Do you know what basketball would be if there was a guy standing on a stepladder in front of the goal and able to block nearly every shot? Boring.

Any match that takes 90+ minutes to determine an outcome of 1-0, 2-1, 0-2, etc. is not for me.

Yep. You don't understand. Watch the vid and STFU.

Lower 90 shot. Nice. I like the upper 9o shots.

Looks easy doesnt' it?

Pele.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Lower 90 shot. Nice. I like the upper 9o shots.

Looks easy doesnt' it?

Pele.jpg

I was a teenager and saw Pele play when he came to the US to try to help prop up the old NASL back in the mid 70's. Amazing to watch his skills compared to anyone else at the time.

If you don't get it, you're not paying attention. ;)

Okay I'm American but my wife is brazilian. So I'm half brazilian and obviously half partial to brazil. I'm sorry, but that game vs Ghana yesterday was absolutely hideous. The US really played terribly. I'm glad we won but wow... There is no way in hell we will beat port.

And brasil is playing pretty ugly too. My pick at this point is Netherlands and Germany, both of which I really like. Looking forward to seeing NED kick ass tomorrow!

That's funny since hockey usually ends up with similar scores yet takes twice as long as soccer given intermission and commercials. I'll be the first to admit there's no comparison in the pace of the two sports, but your point is horribly flawed.

And I'm a newcomer to soccer. I didn't grow up playing, but now I wish I had. The physiological demands of this sport are crazy. It is very exciting to watch too. No , it's not the same as hockey. You ever heard of jogo bonito? Watch brasil play and see if it's not a beautiful way to play. Then watch some euro teams and see how tactful they are ( Germany) and you see how the styles vary. Watch that netherland x Spain game from a few days ago and see if that doesn't get you fired up! It makes me want to play really bad.. And i know I suck. I grew up with only upper body sports.

Germany's my pick to win it all.

But ... beat Portugal and we're out of the group and the Germany game only matters for 2nd round seeding. Tie Portugal, and we're still probably out of the group on goal differential, unless Germany blows us out.

Please school me on the basics of advancement in this thing. I enjoyed a couple games the other day on the tube--hoping the Frenchies would take gas--but don't know how the tournament works, brackets, etc. No single elimination thing obviously.

32 teams start in 8 groups of 4.

Group play: The 4 teams in each group play each other once, round robin. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss. After those three games, the two teams with the most points advance. If two teams have the same number of points, the first tiebreaker is goal differential (each team's total # of goals scored minus goals conceded). Every team plays at least these three games, even though it's possible to be mathematically eliminated after two.

Round of 16: One game, single elimination. Seeding - top finishers in each group play the runner-up from a different group, so there's an advantage to finishing first in your group. No ties, overtime then shootout.

Quarterfinals: Single elimination.
Semifinals: Single elimination.
3rd place game between semifinal losers
Final

Yep. You don't understand. Watch the vid and STFU.

For those of you who enjoy watching soccer, do you consider flopping to be an essential part of the game or something that detracts from the "beautiful game"? This has always been a barrier for me in terms of enjoyment for the sport (same with the NBA for that matter).

That's funny since hockey usually ends up with similar scores yet takes twice as long as soccer given intermission and commercials. I'll be the first to admit there's no comparison in the pace of the two sports, but your point is horribly flawed.

What are you talking about? I never said I really enjoyed ice hockey either and find it nearly as boring. The only thing hockey has going for it is that they're on ice so they go faster, it's a smaller arena, and they fight. Take away the goalie and it might be more interesting. Both sports. And let soccer players beat each other up. Then I'll watch.

For those of you who enjoy watching soccer, do you consider flopping to be an essential part of the game or something that detracts from the "beautiful game"? This has always been a barrier for me in terms of enjoyment for the sport (same with the NBA for that matter).

My favorite moment in any game is if s player gets carded for flopping. I wish it happened more.

I was a teenager and saw Pele play when he came to the US to try to help prop up the old NASL back in the mid 70's. Amazing to watch his skills compared to anyone else at the time.

If you don't get it, you're not paying attention. ;)

Awesome. :thumbup:

I think I'm a bit younger than you JWK. I lived in South America in the 70's and 80's. Been a big Argentina fan my whole life. The 1986 WC was a great one. Maradona was so much fun to watch. They come up with some great players---> Messi for example.

I don't like flopping in any game. I also don't understand why it is necessary to come on this thread and bad mouth the game. I don't see any point in that.

It is annoying when they dive. I was disappointed to hear that they actually do that. Excruciating pain one second, then perfectly fine the next. Complete lack of integrity that has become the norm. They should have a doc their to examine their pain and call BS. But, a lot of dives go uncalled so hopefully it evens out. I do hate that part. It's still an exciting sport to watch. It is it's own culture

Been a big Argentina fan my whole life.
You, sir, are dead to me. At least for a little while.

OK, Messi seems like a good guy. I like to watch him play. The rest of 'em can flop their way out of this tournament early.

For those of you who enjoy watching soccer, do you consider flopping to be an essential part of the game or something that detracts from the "beautiful game"?
It's embarrassing and definitely detracts from the game. For years now FIFA has directed refs to give yellow cards for dives and pretending but for some reason the refs just seem reluctant to do it.

And let soccer players beat each other up. Then I'll watch.
a) Well, a US player did get his nose broken from a kick in the face, and so far we've had two other teams get players ejected for kicking and a headbutt.

b) That's ******ed. It's like watching NASCAR for the crashes or hockey for the fights. Just facepalm-worthy, what's-wrong-with-you kind of doofusness. You realize you can get your blood and chaos fix without having to watch sports?

b) That's ******ed. It's like watching NASCAR for the crashes or hockey for the fights. Just facepalm-worthy, what's-wrong-with-you kind of doofusness. You realize you can get your blood and chaos fix without having to watch sports?

a) I don't really watch either.

b) That's what MMA is for. Which satisfies my needs. ;)

Great day of matches. Australia player their hearts out against Netherlands and Chile managed to snatch it away from Spain. Most exciting group so far.

John Brooks was a great find by Klinsmann. He's the sort of guy the US needs to target to finally get to the next level. Players who are challenged at the global level and not just playing in the MLS.

He played awful in defence once he came on. The goal was lovely, but seriously?

You, sir, are dead to me. At least for a little while.

OK, Messi seems like a good guy. I like to watch him play. The rest of 'em can flop their way out of this tournament early.

:laugh::laugh: I knew that was coming...

Netherlands had a good come back. It was close there for a while.

Awesome. :thumbup:

I think I'm a bit younger than you JWK. I lived in South America in the 70's and 80's. Been a big Argentina fan my whole life. The 1986 WC was a great one. Maradona was so much fun to watch. They come up with some great players---> Messi for example.
Pele and Santos were the gold standard. Pele, and Beckenbauer and Chinaglia, were well past their prime when they came to the US, but ran circles around the US players of the day.

Maradona was great in his day as well - he's a shadow of his former self - well, maybe 4-5 shadows ;)

:laugh::laugh: I knew that was coming...
:)

I bet the USA loses to Argentina in the quarterfinals. I think we'll be #2 in group G after we send Portugal home crying, followed by a loss to Germany's second stringers, then we can beat whoever wins group H in the round of 16 (group H being arguably the worst in the tournament), then we'd likely play Argentina (winner of F1 then winner over E's runner up). You heard it here first.

pgg -

Thanks for starting the thread - nice to see there are some like minded anesthesiologists that follow soccer as well.

I was a "medium" soccer fan, until 2000, when I moved to Portugal - lived there for two years. It's been my favorite major sport ever since.

I never try to argue or talk someone "into" soccer - don't think it can be done. It's like trying to talk someone into liking a type of art.

I, of course, am a USA fan until the end. I want to like Portugal next, but Ronaldo is such a monster douche/Pepe's a Brazilian who wasn't good enough for them/they consistently suck, so I follow good soccer, with a deep skew toward Barcelona's players, as I follow them closer than any American sports team (besides the Pittsburgh Penguins, but that's a different thread).

Here's to the continuation of a great tournament!

Surprised to see England get kicked out. England and Spain both out, and Australia is still in. Wtf! Haha

Surprised to see England get kicked out. England and Spain both out, and Australia is still in. Wtf! Haha
Australia's out too.

That is why he's worth 350 million. :wideyed:
Mmmmm ... isn't there a there's a series clips like these from Pepsi, famous athletes doing ridiculous things post-edited things?

Australia's out too.

Mmmmm ... isn't there a there's a series clips like these from Pepsi, famous athletes doing ridiculous things post-edited things?

It does look a little too bad ass to be true. IDK.
You're prolly right.

I thought Australia was still in because chile beat Spain. Oh well.

Costs rica just beat Italy. Holy crap

I thought Australia was still in because chile beat Spain. Oh well.

Costs rica just beat Italy. Holy crap
Today has probably been the most exciting day yet. Costa Rica upset Italy, France beat Switzerland in a shootout and the Ecuador/Honduras game was a solid 2-1 win.

Also sets up the Uruguay/Italy and Group E finals to be very suspenseful.

How bout Ghana today ? That was pretty impressive. I thought Germany would crush them

Never heard of a water break...

Down by one but we're having a lot of shots on goal... Better than expected.

Dempsey with a six pack goal...! Damn. US look'n good.