Worried... 28R lopsided, 3.62 GPA, Chances?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthewsrr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So like I figured, my MCAT score wasn't as high as I was hoping. I really am not concerned too much with specific medical schools. I would like to go to Indiana University since I live in Indianapolis, but otherwise I'd go wherever. I'm pretty concerned with getting in anywhere because my score is so lopsided! I'd prefer to go MD rather than DO but I have no idea at this point. I also went to a small private school which probably doesn't help. Here are my stats. What are my chances?!

MCAT
Verbal: 12
Physical: 9
Biological: 7
Total: 28R

GPA: 3.62

Majors: Biology, Chemistry Minor: Psychology

I don't know my sGPA but I'm guessing around the same.

Experiences:
2 years working in a Level I Trauma Center, 70 hours physician shadowing, 70 hours hospital volunteer, 2 years teaching assistant, EMT-B Training, Patient Sitter for 1 year, 4 years coaching soccer, Science Honors Society member, Phi Delta Theta Brotherhood Chairman 1 year, Big Brother Big Sister Volunteer

LORs from a few MDs, and multiple professors.

Any suggestions, comments, advice, etc. is appreciated. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you prefer MD, you need to retake. A 7bs is very unlikely to be taken. I would say a "9" would have kept you in the game. Even an 8 might encourage some to give you the benefit of the doubt due to the high verbal score. Nevertheless, applying to your home school (I'm assuming Indiana) should be something you still try just in case.

For Osteopathic programs, I don't think you'll have a problem.

yeah I read a book by this former adcom at Mt Sinai (med edits guide to med school admission) or something like that, where she said that bs and ps are the more important scores, a low verbal *might* be forgivable, but not a low BS. definitely need to retake if you want MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you prefer MD, you need to retake. A 7bs is very unlikely to be taken. I would say a "9" would have kept you in the game. Even an 8 might encourage some to give you the benefit of the doubt due to the high verbal score. Nevertheless, applying to your home school (I'm assuming Indiana) should be something you still try just in case.

For Osteopathic programs, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Yeah that's what I figure...

Well does anyone have a suggestion on what date I should take the next test? I definitely think I can be ready by August but would obviously like as much time as possible without it being too late. I'm think Aug. 4 or 10 possible...? Thanks again!

I think you are going to have to retake. I saw a powerpoint distributed by some Texas adcoms and they ranked section scores by order of importance: BS>Verb>PS. I think most schools consider BS to be the most important section.