Worried about a little/stupid mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missentity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be thinking too much about this but there is so much pressure to be perfect in applying to clinical psych programs that I just wanted to run something by you all, especially those who have experience in evaluating applications:

I sent an email to a professor at University of Maryland- Baltimore County and stated in the subject line and in the email that I was interested in his work at University of Maryland-Baltimore. He hasn't responded and now that I realize my mistake, I'm wondering if this is a reason why he wouldn't have responded (I know there's a bunch of other reasons why he wouldn't though). If I did apply, even if my application was strong, will this email come to haunt me later?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I may be thinking too much about this but there is so much pressure to be perfect in applying to clinical psych programs that I just wanted to run something by you all, especially those who have experience in evaluating applications:

I sent an email to a professor at University of Maryland- Baltimore County and stated in the subject line and in the email that I was interested in his work at University of Maryland-Baltimore. He hasn't responded and now that I realize my mistake, I'm wondering if this is a reason why he wouldn't have responded (I know there's a bunch of other reasons why he wouldn't though). If I did apply, even if my application was strong, will this email come to haunt me later?

Thanks!

So the only issue is that you left off "County" in the subject line and email? If so, while I don't have any personal experience with that school, I don't see that causing any sort of reaction at all. Odds are the person is busy, as POIs can be notoriously bad about replying to emails from prospective students.

Not a big deal at all ... I've heard people from that school (grad students and faculty) refer to it as UMB, UMBC, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the only issue is that you left off "County" in the subject line and email? If so, while I don't have any personal experience with that school, I don't see that causing any sort of reaction at all. Odds are the person is busy, as POIs can be notoriously bad about replying to emails from prospective students.

Not a big deal at all ... I've heard people from that school (grad students and faculty) refer to it as UMB, UMBC, etc.

Okay thanks, I kind of catastrophize sometimes :rolleyes:. I had initially not known they were two different schools with two different programs! It looks like they're still under the same University of Maryland system though so hopefully not a big deal as you say!

Not an issue. You're definitely worried about nothing. Even if it's noticed, it will be forgotten by the time they start reading your email.

It's not like some PI and/or committee will be like, "Oh, well, this person left off the word 'county' in the subject line of their email. We can't have anybody like that in our program."

Even if they did (which they won't), if someone would be that much of a hard-ass, you don't want to be spending the next 5+ years of your life with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Okay thanks, I kind of catastrophize sometimes :rolleyes:. I had initially not known they were two different schools with two different programs! It looks like they're still under the same University of Maryland system though so hopefully not a big deal as you say!

hm, I think you may be confusing the two University of Maryland campuses. One is Baltimore and the other is College Park. They have two separate programs with completely different faculty. If you mixed those two up, it would raise a little more of an eyebrow.

No, there is a University of Maryland, Baltimore campus, where the professional schools for the University of Maryland system are located (e.g. dentistry, medicine, nursing, etc.). UMBC and UMCP have clinical psych programs, although people who are less familiar with UMBC often confuse UMBC with UMB. I don't think it is a huge issue, and if you haven't heard back from this faculty member yet I wouldn't sweat it too much, as he or she may be very busy. I think phone calls show initiative and can be well received.

I would have to respectfully disagree regarding cold-calling a POI, especially if he/she has not responded to an email.

No, there is a University of Maryland, Baltimore campus, where the professional schools for the University of Maryland system are located (e.g. dentistry, medicine, nursing, etc.). UMBC and UMCP have clinical psych programs, although people who are less familiar with UMBC often confuse UMBC with UMB.

Apparently the University of Maryland, Baltimore (not UMBC) has a clinical psych program as well, which I'm sure causes even more confusion: http://www.bsos.umd.edu/psyc/clinicalpsyc/index.htm

However, the Human Services Psychology Department's clinical and behavioral medicine program at UMBC is a much better match for my interests!

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, I know I was being a bit ridiculous! But hey, my obsessive attention to detail serves me well in terms of research and writing, so at least that's good for clinical psych :p

Last edited:
Apparently the University of Maryland, Baltimore (not UMBC) has a clinical psych program as well, which I'm sure causes even more confusion: http://www.bsos.umd.edu/psyc/clinicalpsyc/index.htm

However, the Human Services Psychology Department's clinical and behavioral medicine program at UMBC is a much better match for my interests!

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, I know I was being a bit ridiculous! But hey, my obsessive attention to detail serves me well in terms of research and writing, so at least that's good for clinical psych :p

I think you are still confused. The link you provided is to the University of Maryland, College Park's clinical program- not Baltimore. There are 2 clinical PhD programs in the Maryland system- College Park and Baltimore. They are separate.

To clarify, the University of Maryland, College Park program is not in Baltimore City or Baltimore County. It is in Prince George's County and is completely separate from the UMBC clinical program.

I think you are still confused. The link you provided is to the University of Maryland, College Park's clinical program- not Baltimore. There are 2 clinical PhD programs in the Maryland system- College Park and Baltimore. They are separate.

To clarify, the University of Maryland, College Park program is not in Baltimore City or Baltimore County. It is in Prince George's County and is completely separate from the UMBC clinical program.

Yea, I've heard of college park and know both have clinical programs. I guess I had switched around my links somehow in my research. My mistake. Now I feel even dumber :-\

Ugh, lack of sleep is starting to catch up with me.

I would have to respectfully disagree regarding cold-calling a POI, especially if he/she has not responded to an email.

Applying certainly is an anxious proposition but do not cold call professors. Can you imagine the deluge of phone calls they would receive if every applicant called them? This on top of teaching classes, departmental responsibilities, and conducting their own research would be enough to set them over the edge I imagine.

I agree with several others. It's a tiny mistake, you'll be ok, and don't call them!

I lovingly (not) remember the stress of application season and pouring over every little detail. I promise that this is actually a minuscule mistake and you won't even remember this in a few months! Multiple POIs didn't respond to my initial emails and I still received interviews from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with several others. It's a tiny mistake, you'll be ok, and don't call them!

I lovingly (not) remember the stress of application season and pouring over every little detail. I promise that this is actually a minuscule mistake and you won't even remember this in a few months! Multiple POIs didn't respond to my initial emails and I still received interviews from them.

That's good to know, thank you! I mean, if they don't respond and there's no indication on the website that they're not taking students, I can't be blamed for stating my desire to work with them when I apply! And yea, I need to work on not being too hard on myself for little mistakes!

On a sort-of related note, I wonder why more people don't apply to UMBC's clinical program (134 in 2011-12, 103 in 2010-2011, 78 in 2009-2010). It seems like a pretty flexible program with opportunities to study behavioral medicine, community psychology, and clinical psychology. And then they accept a pretty high number of applicants (20 in 2012, 23 in 2011, 17 in 2010). Should I take this as a red flag?

That's good to know, thank you! I mean, if they don't respond and there's no indication on the website that they're not taking students, I can't be blamed for stating my desire to work with them when I apply! And yea, I need to work on not being too hard on myself for little mistakes!

On a sort-of related note, I wonder why more people don't apply to UMBC's clinical program (134 in 2011-12, 103 in 2010-2011, 78 in 2009-2010). It seems like a pretty flexible program with opportunities to study behavioral medicine, community psychology, and clinical psychology. And then they accept a pretty high number of applicants (20 in 2012, 23 in 2011, 17 in 2010). Should I take this as a red flag?

Is this a more med school like program (i.e., you get admitted to the program, not a professor, and do rounds in medical centers) rather than a research/academic type program? If it is, many similar model programs I've looked at (like UAB-Birmigham, UTSWMC, UNTHSC) have admissions similar stats. I think that's just the nature of these sorts of programs. I think you be better served by looking at APA match rate and attrition for things like red flags.

You can also call the secretary of the psychology department and VERY POLITELY ask. They usually know what's going on. They deal with a lot of craziness during the app season though so make sure you are very, very nice and apologetic. I had a couple professors that didn't respond to my email. I called the secretary at each school and they let me know whether the professors were accepting students. One professor wasn't and it saved me some money!

Is this a more med school like program (i.e., you get admitted to the program, not a professor, and do rounds in medical centers) rather than a research/academic type program? If it is, many similar model programs I've looked at (like UAB-Birmigham, UTSWMC, UNTHSC) have admissions similar stats. I think that's just the nature of these sorts of programs. I think you be better served by looking at APA match rate and attrition for things like red flags.

The program seems to align itself with the mentorship model from what I've gathered on the website.

It's internship placement rate is okay it seems. 44 out of 55 getting APA accredited internships in since 2006 (80%), 48 out of 55 getting APPIC member internships (87%). I thought APPIC member internships were all APA accredited but maybe I'm still a little unfamiliar with that whole system. There is a 13% attrition rate, but 3 out of the 8 who dropped out in the past 6 years stayed at UMBC but decided to not to continue on the clinial track (i.e. continued with community psych only).

You can also call the secretary of the psychology department and VERY POLITELY ask. They usually know what's going on. They deal with a lot of craziness during the app season though so make sure you are very, very nice and apologetic. I had a couple professors that didn't respond to my email. I called the secretary at each school and they let me know whether the professors were accepting students. One professor wasn't and it saved me some money!

Thanks for the tip, I might try that if there's still no word. On the website, it says he's accepting students for 2011, which doesn't help much. Someone's a little behind on updating the website!

If they're accepting that many students from that pool, with such a high internship application rate, I would wonder about their funding. Potential students don't apply heavily to urban programs with less funding and it seems unlikely that a program could fund that many students with assistantships and waivers. Just my thoughts.

If they're accepting that many students from that pool, with such a high internship application rate, I would wonder about their funding. Potential students don't apply heavily to urban programs with less funding and it seems unlikely that a program could fund that many students with assistantships and waivers. Just my thoughts.

Yea, the website says that funding comes in the form of graduate teaching and research assistantships. There's no mention of tuition remission. The 2012 Insider's Guide states that 100% of incoming freshman receive tuition remission and assistantships but it's possible those stats are outdated.

I thought APPIC member internships were all APA accredited but maybe I'm still a little unfamiliar with that whole system.

You just had it backwards is all. All APA accredited sites are APPIC members, but not all APPIC member sites are APA accredited.

Does anyone have further information on the University of Maryland Baltimore County- Human Services Psychology program? I'll be applying this fall! Any tips would be helpful! It is my top choice.

Edit: Just saw that this a revived thread. Whoops.