worried about carreer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJmunster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone in T-COM tell me the qualities of education they are receiving at the college.I very wanted to be MDbut only got DO admission. I want to move back to los angeles and every nurses tells me DO have to take order from MD in all fifty states and this is very much true in california hospital. I was hapy when accepted but now very depressed and wholeheartedly thinking of quitting. Honest noflame replies apprecciated + requested. FYI my statistics were 25O MCAT; 3.40 GPA

Members don't see this ad.

as he said in tennis..."you cannot be serious"

If you believe all of the BS that a nurse from CA told you, then go to an MD school and pull out your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you believe all of the BS that a nurse from CA told you, then go to an MD school and pull out your application.

:laugh: Is the op for real for real.....wow.

can anyone in T-COM tell me the qualities of education they are receiving at the college.I very wanted to be MDbut only got DO admission. I want to move back to los angeles and every nurses tells me DO have to take order from MD in all fifty states and this is very much true in california hospital. I was hapy when accepted but now very depressed and wholeheartedly thinking of quitting. Honest noflame replies apprecciated + requested. FYI my statistics were 25O MCAT; 3.40 GPA

That's the best you could come up with?!? You suck as a troll.

You see, you have to disguise the post a bit better. For example, don't make it too obvious. It's silly to say that you got into a DO school and are now worried. Anyone that attends interviews at DO schools would realize the schools are the same as MD schools.

You have to write something to the effect of "I was thinking about going DO..." Don't forget to sound innocent and interested so people don't flame you too much.

Also, get the schools right. What's T-COM? You mean TU-COM? Obviously you didn't interview there since you can't even get it right.

Here's an example of a decent trolling post:

"I'm a pre-med who's very interested in primary care. My primary care physician is a DO and I think he's great. However, after reading posts in this forum, I'm concerned that my career options might be limited after all those years of training. As a DO, could I do more than just family medicine?"

See? Simple, somewhat convincing, troll-worthy message.

Now, try again.

:laugh:

You see, you have to disguise the post a bit better. For example, don't make it too obvious. It's silly to say that you got into a DO school and are now worried. Anyone that attends interviews at DO schools would realize the schools are the same as MD schools.

You have to write something to the effect of "I was thinking about going DO..." Don't forget to sound innocent and interested so people don't flame you too much.

Also, get the schools right. What's T-COM? You mean TU-COM? Obviously you didn't interview there since you can't even get it right.

"I'm a pre-med who's very interested in primary care. My primary care physician is a DO and I think he's great. However, after reading posts in this forum, I'm concerned that my career options might be limited after all those years of training. As a DO, could I do more than just family medicine?"

Now, try again.

This gotta be one of the best responses i read this week.

Anyway, now I kinda see why most schools wanted mandatory shadowing experience before applying.

It's a little ironic though. In a hospital where I shadowed, MDs take order from a DO.
He was a director of sugery department. :D

Now, try again.

:laugh: :laugh:

Misspelling happy and not capitalizing was a nice touch as well.....it effectively conveyed desperation. :thumbup:

Now, try again.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Was the nurse hot? If so, you should believe her.

Noone has come around yet and said the lame old " c'mon guys, sounds like this guy has a legitimate question, hes just misinformed. Give him a break." garbage?

Noone has come around yet and said the lame old " c'mon guys, sounds like this guy has a legitimate question, hes just misinformed. Give him a break." garbage?

the reasons I don't know of DO education is becuase it was a last hour decision to apply. I was extremelly looking forward to attending T-COM but after talking with nurse + CNA am not. Having a slight disability I type badly. I apologize for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
the reasons I don't know of DO education is becuase it was a last hour decision to apply. I was extremelly looking forward to attending T-COM but after talking with nurse + CNA am not. Having a slight disability I type badly. I apologize for that.

Seriously, you should talk to a doctor, preferably a DO. You might want to do some shadowing as well.

As far as I am concern, nurses are as clueless about the DO degree as a typical premeds.
Even my volunteer director doesn't clearly know what a DO is. She thinks it is "less invasive, non-surgical massage therapist".
Yet, the director of the surgical department is a DO.

As doctors work in teams, you will have a better doctor giving orders time to time. The other doctor might just happened to be a DO. It could have been a MD. It doesn't have to do with the degree, but the person him/herself.

If you are not 100% sure about being a DO, don't go to a DO school. Your life will be miserable. Only when you know what you are getting into, and ready to answer the ultimate question "what is a DO?" proudly, you should go to a DO school. Otherwise, just retake the MCAT and go allopathic.

As for me, a DO is as good, if not better than MD.

Let me give you hand here. You did the equivalent of walking into meeting of the NAACP and said, "Excuse me!....where can I get some chitterlings!"

DO's are a minority group of full-fledged physicians. You probably have seen some and didn't know it. We see the white coat and think doctor. The same nurse and cna who didn't have a clue probably took some orders from some DO's and didn't know it. The added obscurity of DO's in california is due to a historical amalgamation of DO's by the governing MD organizations in the 70's I believe. Thus you have certainly encountered some MD's who were educated at a DO school.

Even if you didn't mean any harm, you should have a higher criteria for evidence than a nurse and cna's opinion on physician education. I mean I don't know a whole lot about running an ostrich farm. But I wouldn't offer advice to someone who wanted to get into the business. In addition to the normal BS meter sensitivity you must learn to adjust for a higher threshold for haterism so prevalent in the nursing field.

Seriously, you should talk to a doctor, preferably a DO. You might want to do some shadowing as well.

As far as I am concern, nurses are as clueless about the DO degree as a typical premeds.
Even my volunteer director doesn't clearly know what a DO is. She thinks it is "less invasive, non-surgical massage therapist".
Yet, the director of the surgical department is a DO.

As doctors work in teams, you will have a better doctor giving orders time to time. The other doctor might just happened to be a DO. It could have been a MD. It doesn't have to do with the degree, but the person him/herself.

If you are not 100% sure about being a DO, don't go to a DO school. Your life will be miserable. Only when you know what you are getting into, and ready to answer the ultimate question "what is a DO?" proudly, you should go to a DO school. Otherwise, just retake the MCAT and go allopathic.

As for me, a DO is as good, if not better than MD.

MCATT, I did not even want to reply to OPs post because he/she sounds like an ordinary troll...I dont think it worth to waste our time here explaining him things...this person will not get it...

Now, try again.

LMAO!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: post of the month!:D

Now, try again.

I feel like a big dumb fish. I bit the troll bait.:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Now, try again.

T-COM is the Texas Colllege Of Osteopathic Medicine. Ilook on this charts
http://www.aacom.org/colleges/unthsc.asp
http://www.aacom.org/data/cib/collegemap-big.gif

Yeah, I like to make my life choices based on what some nurse and nurses aide tell me about the medical profession also! Seriously, go to a real source like a MD or DO, all that I have talked to have said they are equal, in all 50 states!

I'm a first year student at an allopathic school and I don't think you have anything to worry about. MD=DO in all privileges in all states that I'm aware of. So, no, you're not going to have to take orders from MDs for the rest of your life if you become a DO. Heck, we have DO faculty at my med school. I understand if you're worried because of what this nurse told you, but your fears are without merit.

If you've been accepted to TCOM, then you must know about the Spring Fling/Preview Day this coming weekend (March 24). If in fact you are not a troll, then I suggest coming to it and really see for yourself what TCOM has to offer, then forming your own opinions.

I'm surprised you didn't figure what a DO was before you applied to a DO school. FYI, DOs are equal to MDs in regards to treating and diagnosing patients. You are either a troll or someone wholly misinformed about medical education. Actually, your post do seem trollish when you claim that DOs take orders from MDs in California hospitals ("very much true"), which a cursory investigation would have dispelled.

Umm, since when did CNA's have any authority regarding this matter?!!! :laugh:
DO's are doctors. Do what you got to do.

AOA sites is saying [[most]] insurance companys have no problem with DO physicians. How many insurance companys recognize the DO physcianship with no problems? Do patients much checkk with their insurance companys before seeing DO?

AOA sites is saying [[most]] insurance companys have no problem with DO physicians. How many insurance companys recognize the DO physcianship with no problems? Do patients much checkk with their insurance companys before seeing DO?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dude, lets try this again as you seem to be missing the point.

A PHYSICIAN IS A PHYSICIAN WHETHER THEY HAVE AN MD DEGREE OR A DO DEGREE

As long as you are licensed, nobody cares.

If, for some reason you are not a troll, for the love of god withdraw your acceptance from TCOM.

Dear OP:

Wees's here at SDN gunna' half to as-k that ya' spELL morE better.

Us SDNers be DONE tired ah reAding yr' $hit

later dAwg!

honestly, I've never seen someone stutter more in a chat room....go away DJ or whatever the heck your name is

Now, try again.

I really enjoy how you present your toll-ation in a subtle, innocent, yet misinformed way. I think that really gives it that little something extra that will make other students stop and say "Hmmm... He means well, but perhaps he is shining light on the bigger problem of DO exposure with the everyday patient" who will then in turn just become frustrated and begin a multi-level marketing program that promises to make them rich with their small investment of 15,000$. :clap:

For the OP: Maybe you should go to CNA school so that you too can be the authority on DO vs. MD.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dude, lets try this again as you seem to be missing the point.

A PHYSICIAN IS A PHYSICIAN WHETHER THEY HAVE AN MD DEGREE OR A DO DEGREE

As long as you are licensed, nobody cares.

If, for some reason you are not a troll, for the love of god withdraw your acceptance from TCOM.

do some insurance companys not take DO? If true how often does this happen?

Are you daft? What was your verbal score?

Say it outloud with me: p-h-y-s-i-c-i-a-n

If you are a licensed physician INSURANCE DOES NOT CARE what your degree is.

Are you daft? What was your verbal score?

Say it outloud with me: p-h-y-s-i-c-i-a-n

If you are a licensed physician INSURANCE DOES NOT CARE what your degree is.

verbal 10

from AOA'S own site, http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=faq_cons

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Insurance.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Does my insurance plan cover D.O.s?.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[[Most]] insurance plans cover D.O.s. To find out the specifics about your particular health plan, please contact your insurance provider.

verbal 10

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Does my insurance plan cover D.O.s?.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[[Most]] (emphasis added by DJmunster) insurance plans cover D.O.s. To find out the specifics about your particular health plan, please contact your insurance provider.

[Taking the troll-bait]

I think the better question to ask, in this case, is "Does a DO take my insurance?" as that is far more frequently the problem. Medicare/Medicaid will reimburse Osteopathic physicians, which almost makes it illegal for any private physician to not include them as a group.

Individual physicians (MD or DO) can be refused by an insurance company because they do not sign on up to take that insurance type, but the companies cannot (so far as I know) descriminate against DOs as a collective.

That said, however, many insurance companies will not reimburse (or not reimburse well) for OMT.

Do patients much checkk (sic) with their insurance companys (sic) before seeing DO?

Again, it is far more likely they would need to check with a DO to see if they will accept whatever crappy insurance the patient has. If not, and the patient is still adamant about seeing a DO, they could always pay out of pocket (yeah.... right).

[/Taking the troll-bait]

by responding, you're feeding this troll.
don't respond when you see forums like this.

Stupid question: does "trolling" mean posting fake threads?

(I'm not fully knowledgeable regarding the hip lingo that the cool SDN cats use yet:))

Thanks you to everybody so far whose responsed in this topic. Please keep in mind many of MD to DO folk have not been around DO enough to know their billings procedures et al. Therefore the ignorance. When AOA'S sites say [[most]] insurances take DO i twill worry folk like me who are still learning.

Me ruv u rong time!

herro! Spreak engrish!!

If you are going to troll, try doing it in at least decent english. Did you want to start over again? :thumbdown:

It's a little ironic though. In a hospital where I shadowed, MDs take order from a DO.
He was a director of sugery department. :D

same at where I shadowed 2 :D when I asked my DO what is the difference b/t DO and MD...he said "5K/year" with a big laugh

verbal 10

[[Most]] insurance plans cover D.O.s. To find out the specifics about your particular health plan, please contact your insurance provider.

I'm sure this would be the subject of an AOA lawsuit if it were true. DOs may not be a part of certain HMO plans.... likewise, many MDs are not as well. I think it's just a general statement that is not meant to say that NORMAL insurance doesn't cover seeing DOs. If DOs happen to not be in any given provider network, then yes, I suppose certain insurance agencies don't technically cover DOs in that situation. I'm sure there is nothing keeping DOs from joining HMOs.

At any rate, a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine is a licensed physician in all 50 states. The only difference in quality lies in the relative recognition two letters which reside on your white coat after your name.

[Taking the troll-bait]

Again, it is far more likely they would need to check with a DO to see if they will accept whatever crappy insurance the patient has.

[/Taking the troll-bait]

MD too have the same problem as this I would guuess?

Thanks you to everybody so far whose responsed in this topic. Please keep in mind many of MD to DO folk have not been around DO enough to know their billings procedures et al. Therefore the ignorance. When AOA'S sites say [[most]] insurances take DO i twill worry folk like me who are still learning.

Did you fail the Writing section of the MCAT?! This is just awful.

Do you meet the technical matriculation standards at TCOM with your disability? A physician MUST read and write coherently.

Do you meet the technical matriculation standards at TCOM with your disability? A physician MUST read and write coherently.

hoho!

The only issue I have ever heard of with DO that might be different from an MD is in the coverage of OMT. While shadowing I know some of that patients who had lower level insurance did not have coverage for the OMT, while others did, other than that like you have pointed out again and again and again. A doc is a doc, the insurance company could care less, infact I saw several letters to a DO I shadowed from insurance and drug companies addressed to John Doe, MD. He thought it was funny.

do DO use same 5 digits billing codes as MD?

If you're not going to be comfortable being a DO, by all means give up your spot for someone else. Retake the MCAT until you get a 30+ while whoever takes your spot will be seeing patients in a few years. You're not going to get much sympathy here, because out of thousands of applicants to each single osteopathic school, chances are that many many of them wanted it more than you do and actually whole heartedly want to be a DO and practice OMM. It is a priveilege to be a DO, not an alternative option or second chance at being a doctor. I dont think you'll find a satisfactory answer here because you'll hear stories from both sides, and in the end, only you can decide whether you want to put the rest of your life into being a DO.

do DO use same 5 digits billing codes as MD?

Do you even know what you're asking about? The CPT codes are not specific to anybody. The oral surgeon (DMD) that I used to work for used them for the medical procedures that he did, and physical therapists use them for their billing, as well as tons of other allied health professionals.

Seriously, you need to evaluate your reasons for asking these questions. Do you even want to practice medicine?? It seems like you are just interested in a job that has independence and makes good money, and there are alot of other jobs out there that fit that bill.