PhD/PsyD Worried about GPA for grad school admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as many of you know, all of my freshmen year and the first semester of my sophomore year I didn't really focus on my studies and now I'm paying for it with a very sub par gpa although I'm slowly getting it up with my last semester gpa which was a 3.1 for the semester. I'm planning to study very hard and to try to get around 3.6s the next 4 semesters I have left to make myself more competitive for PhD programs while also studying my bum of for the GREs this year so I could take it in the summer. So basically I just wanted to ask a few questions about graduate school admissions and my options regarding my gpa

Do graduate schools look only at the last four semesters of your gpa or do they look at it as a whole?

Do you all think it'd be best if I take a gap year or two to take some graduate courses or even do a MA to boost my Gpa and to show that I can handle graduate school education, even tho my goal is to immediately get into a PhD or PsyD school psych program?

I just really don't know what to go to get to the end goal of having my PhD and stating my career with my current sub par GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

How about a goal of 4.0 for the next 4 semesters? You've got some valuable time left in undergrad (that's two years right?)- make the most of it and then maybe reassess next steps when you get closer to graduating.

Reactions: 1 user