Worried about my Chances in EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterintuBater

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, I'm just another insecure MSIII seeking a little reassurance from you higher-ups....but just humor me.

I'm an MSIII D.O. student and I'd like to do a M.D. EM residency in the southeast. My board scores (USMLE and COMLEX) are 50th percentile, but I've got great LOR's and my attendings think I do great on rotations. What programs should I realistically be considering in the Southeast? What kind of obstacles are my board scores going to bring? Also, I'm thinking of staying out of the D.O. match. Anyone think this is too much of a gamble for me?Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure to kick butt on Step II -> PDs will overlook mediocre Step I in favor of a good Step II. Also do rotations at 'name' programs and get good letters from them (EM letters from 'known' PDs/programs mean much more than other letters).

If you can do that, you're probably in the bag. Even if you don't quite succeed, you can still get a good spot. Just make sure to apply to lots of programs (30+). If you're application isn't stellar, it's not wise to try to limit yourself geographically, unless you'd be happy in any old program that accepted you.

Don't let horror stories unnerve you. Most people who don't match in EM (IMHO) didn't try hard enough. If you're persistant, you will get a spot.

Originally posted by MasterintuBater
Also, I'm thinking of staying out of the D.O. match. Anyone think this is too much of a gamble for me?Thanks everyone.

First off, I think you are jumping the gun. You are already counting yourself out of a lot of programs. My suggestion, from a fellow DO who looked at programs in the southeast... is to apply to a LOT of programs, and see what "net" you can cast and how many interviews you can get from there. I applied to 40+ programs.

Also, do one rotation where you would like to ideally go. Programs will give an extra nod to those students who rotated there (assuming they liked you... and since you said you do well on rotations I"d have no reason to assume you wouldn't). Don't begin your residency search for the Match by limiting yourself to a certain # of programs!

Q, DO

What score equates with kicking-but on the Step 2?