Worried About my Chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eatsleepstudy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that you have seen hundreds of these threads around but here is another one. I am currently a Junior at a four year college, I am studying biomedical engineering. I was thinking about taking a year off before med school but still have not decided if I want to apply now or not.

Grades: I have a cumulative GPA of a 3.94 and a science GPA of about a 3.80.
MCAT: I will be taking the MCAT soon
Shadowing: I shadowed a doctor in a HIV/ARV clinic in South Africa for about 50 hours. I have shadowed a few other random doctors for a cumulative of about 15 hours.
Clinical Hours: I have been volunteering in a clinic for about 50 hours, making calls to patients and hospitals but I will be soon dealing more with patients.
Research: 280 hours of new methods in cancer treatment
Clubs: I am a member of various clubs at my school including Pre-health club, Pre-med club, biomedical engineering club, engineering world health Through these clubs I do a lot of miscellaneous volunteer work and community service and also tutoring.
Leadership: Created a mentor program that brings BME upperclassmen together to mentor the underclassmen. Was a coordinator for a tutoring program for a club for one semester. Plan on playing a bigger role in a club this upcoming year
EC's: Play intramural sports
Honor Programs: A member of University Scholars, the pre medical honor society and the biomedical engineering honor society

Any feedback would be great, and any advice on what I need to improve on. Also, will be a different/unique major help me at all, as most of the students applying are biology, biochemistry etc...?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I will be going to Guatemala this spring break for a week to volunteer in an orphanage and clinic.

You'll probably want to get some more shadowing done in the US health system. Aim for 50 hrs. total among 2-3 specialities (1: primary care). Keep the clinical volunteering and research going. GPA looks good. I don't think you have much to worry about. Depending on your state of residence, you may not have to dump a whole lot of change on applications for a decent chance of acceptance.