Worried about my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labrat21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.51
MCAT: 32Q (11VR/9PS/12BS)

Lots of research experience with 2 papers published (one first author) and possibly a third on the way. About 100 hrs total volunteer experience in a Cancer Center and ED. Some shadowing. Good references, 2 professors and and MD-PhD who I did research for. I would like to go to school in the Northeast, ideally in the NY or Boston area. Also, I graduated 2012 and have been working in a lab since then.

Do I have a chance for 2014? What schools should I be looking at for MD?

Apply broadly, don't apply too top heavy, and you will get interviews. Getting in from there is a matter of your personality.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

I'd suggest applying to research-focused schools. At those schools will your research background will compensate quite a bit for your GPA. Otherwise apply broadly as has already been said.

I'd suggest applying to research-focused schools. At those schools will your research background will compensate quite a bit for your GPA. Otherwise apply broadly as has already been said.

Good point. SBU, UB, Einstein, Penn State, UConn, UVM all come to mind. Also, it's quite a reach, but Yale gives definite preference to those who have significant research. I would also consider Cornel these two make great reach schools for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Last edited: