This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainDog102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I'm currently a Junior doing pre-med and I'm starting to get a little worried about my EC's. I am taking a gap year though so, if anything I will be able to improve on my EC's during that year. But anyways, my current list of EC's are:
-Member of two clubs at my college
-Long term volunteer at medical surgical unit at NYP hospital
and my most distinguishable EC is that I'm currently a manager for my dad's business. Would this count as a good leadership experience? My duties are to: train the employees, give them daily goals, analyze at the end of the day how those goals have been completed/ what needs to be improved upon, take part in recruiting and training new employees, and occasionally (by this I mean once every 3 months), I have to completely take over the company when my dad goes away for business trips. I've been doing this for almost five years now and I know I can't get a letter of rec from my family members (nor am I seeking one from this job), but I was just wondering if this experience would be an example of a solid Leadership experience.

Later on this year, and during my college career, I definitely plan on joining more volunteer organizations, doing research as well as shadowing doctors.

Would all of this be enough for my EC's part going into med school assuming I have a high gpa and MCAT score? What EC's should I prioritize? Is research really that essential? Thanks guys

Yes I think that's a good EC for leadership. The important part is to explain how your responsibilities as manager demonstrate traits of leadership in your apps and interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could always lie and say that you were eboard for the orgs you're involved in..... most schools go through thousands of apps; the chances of them confirming any of that is slim to none.

But of course, leadership can be shown in many ways. Probably, working as a manager is way more experience than being eboard in any "clubs." Everyone knows that it's just the Prez who ends up doing most of the work anyway.

You guys don't think AdComs are going to look down on this job, because it's his dad's business?

Is research really that essential?

I would say yes, it is almost required to have some research experience based on the competitive pool these days. Most everyone applying has a good GPA, MCAT, research and clinical experiences.

What EC's should I prioritize?

I think right now you should prioritize clinical experiences - try looking for an internship through your school's career center or scribing at a hospital part-time.

Last edited:
So should I continue my long term volunteer assignment in the hospital I'm currently in or look for a more job oriented clinical experience (with pay)? I'll find a doctor or two to shadow next semester as well.

So should I continue my long term volunteer assignment in the hospital I'm currently in or look for a more job oriented clinical experience (with pay)? I'll find a doctor or two to shadow next semester as well.

What does your volunteering involve?

I would see your application as covering all the bases with the exceptions of: fun and service to community (non-clinical). The job is a great experience with opportunity to build teamwork and leadership skills, communication skills, and so forth.

What does your volunteering involve?

Patient care so I interact with patients by talking to them, changing them, checking up on them, feeding them, getting them anything they need along with some other duties like stocking up on supplies etc.

I would see your application as covering all the bases with the exceptions of: fun and service to community (non-clinical). The job is a great experience with opportunity to build teamwork and leadership skills, communication skills, and so forth.
I'm looking to become an active member within the Red Cross organization in my school, I'm aiming for a leadership position (recruiter most likely). Would this qualify as a solid community service experience?

I'm looking to become an active member within the Red Cross organization in my school, I'm aiming for a leadership position (recruiter most likely). Would this qualify as a solid community service experience?
Face time with the needy (people different than yourself) is a plus where I get the impression that being a recruiter for the Red Cross (for blood donors) might be more of interaction with people like yourself on behalf of people neither you nor the donors will ever see. Not knocking it, just not what some of the adcom members who harp on "service" are envisioning. Still, you don't have to be a cookie cutter applicant; make your own path.

Face time with the needy (people different than yourself) is a plus where I get the impression that being a recruiter for the Red Cross (for blood donors) might be more of interaction with people like yourself on behalf of people neither you nor the donors will ever see. Not knocking it, just not what some of the adcom members who harp on "service" are envisioning. Still, you don't have to be a cookie cutter applicant; make your own path.
Ah okay that makes sense, thank you so much for the advice!