Worried about no interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nejisan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know it's really early in the cycle, but I'm getting pretty worried I haven't heard back from any schools yet :(
I submitted everything in the first week (first day primary, all secondaries within a week, LORs all in by June 2). I applied to pretty much top 20 schools and UCs (got all my secondaries). Haven't heard anything from any of them after the secondary, except for a rejection from UW.

My stats are as follows: 3.6 gpa, 33 mcat, average ECs, average LORs, engineering/math double major, and white male CA resident. I'm having massive doubts about my school choices. Being the average applicant I am, optimistically, when I should be hearing back from these top tier schools (I assume they give IIs to top applicants first)...? Is it realistic to think I will even be getting IIs?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to pretty much top 20 schools and UCs

3.6 gpa, 33 mcat, average ECs, average LORs, engineering/math double major, and white male CA resident.

Your problem exists at the intersection of these two quotes.

There's still time to add schools to your app and fill out secondaries for more realistic schools.

Reactions: 10 users
Your problem exists at the intersection of these two quotes.
Haha thanks. Unfortunately, realized a little late.
However, according to MSAR, even for many of the top schools, my stats fall into the mean range of accepted applicants. I'm guessing the accepted applicants have amazing ECs and LORs though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha thanks. Unfortunately, realized a little late.
However, according to MSAR, even for many of the top schools, my stats fall into the mean range of accepted applicants. I'm guessing the accepted applicants have amazing ECs and LORs though...
What about the 2 questions at the bottom of my post?

In the accepted range, but nearing or at the 10th percentile for most of these schools. Keep in mind the median GPA and MCAT at most of these schools are 3.85/36-37. You have 3.6/33. There is no dearth of 3.85/36+ applicants to go around, and so, if you are to be taken at your word, with average ECs and LORs, what do you have that will make you stand out in a crowd of people with much better numbers, ECs, and LORs?

You do not have a fantastic shot at interviews at any top 20 school. You may end up with one or two, but acceptance rates post interview at these schools are generally 20-35% when many state schools are 60%+, so even a couple interviews means you still aren't likely to get in.

Interviews can be handed out at any time, you will come to understand that it is impossible to predict when it will happen. I once received an interview invitation at 12:30am as I was languishing away studying for a biochemistry exam, the same day I had been rejected post-interview from a school I really liked. In all honesty things will happen when you least expect it. Remember, good things come to those who wait.

And I hate to be a downer, but speaking realistically the most likely outcome of when you will hear from most of those top-20 schools is in February or March in the form of a polite rejection email. It's just the statistics of this process and it's true for even some of the best applicants.

I'm getting tired of writing this:

Patience is a virtue; the need for instant gratification is not.

Med schools get 7000-14000 apps. Do you really think yours is at the top of the pile?

Reactions: 6 users

Med schools get 7000-14000 apps. Do you really think yours is at the top of the pile?

I think, in this particular instance, OP is right to be worried (as opposed to most of the other threads about this we've seen) based on their stats and application strategy.

Posting this thread has allowed OP to realize that they applied to an unrealistic list of schools and now has the opportunity to correct their mistake before it's too late, and still hopefully have a good chance at a successful cycle. Had they not posted, they might have continued on and likely ended up with nothing come cycle's end. At least now they have a fighting shot.

I came in here fully expecting to post "Chill" and then leaving, but after reading the post, I realized that OP's trajectory was actually in dire need of correcting.

Reactions: 3 users
Ahh, my mistake and apologies OP, and kudos to the "dawg for catching that.

OP, look up Wedgedawg's rubric for picking schools based upon your stats. Alternatively, invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Start with Hofstra, Rush, MCW, the Philly Triplets, SLU, Loyola, Tulane etc.
If you want to stay in or close to CA, think about Touro-CA, both Westerns, TUNCOM and both AZ DO schools.

Reactions: 3 users
I think, in this particular instance, OP is right to be worried (as opposed to most of the other threads about this we've seen) based on their stats and application strategy.

Posting this thread has allowed OP to realize that they applied to an unrealistic list of schools and now has the opportunity to correct their mistake before it's too late, and still hopefully have a good chance at a successful cycle. Had they not posted, they might have continued on and likely ended up with nothing come cycle's end. At least now they have a fighting shot.

I came in here fully expecting to post "Chill" and then leaving, but after reading the post, I realized that OP's trajectory was actually in dire need of correcting.

What schools would be more realistic? Obviously the following are wonderful schools, but they're on the "lower" end of schools I've applied to: Tufts, Boston, Tulane, Wake Forest. Should I be considering Drexel, etc.? **** this was so stupid on my part.

Last edited:
What schools would be more realistic? Obviously the following are wonderful schools, but they're on my "lower" end: Tufts, Boston, Tulane, Wake Forest. Should I be considering Drexel, etc.? **** this was so stupid on my part.

Target schools with a median MCAT of 31-33 and median GPA of no higher than 3.8. @Goro gave you some really good schools to start with and the ones you've listed are solid as well (though I would skip Boston due to their fairly high stats and high volume of applicants). And don't beat yourself up - you made an error and are taking steps to correct it. Provided you get these new secondaries in on time, you should be in good shape. And who knows - maybe you'll get some bites at a top school or two. There are very few applicants in this process who have the luxury of being choosy.

Reactions: 2 users
Target schools with a median MCAT of 31-33 and median GPA of no higher than 3.8. @Goro gave you some really good schools to start with and the ones you've listed are solid as well (though I would skip Boston due to their fairly high stats and high volume of applicants). And don't beat yourself up - you made an error and are taking steps to correct it. Provided you get these new secondaries in on time, you should be in good shape. And who knows - maybe you'll get some bites at a top school or two. There are very few applicants in this process who have the luxury of being choosy.

Thanks for your help! Last question: does a double in EE/math give me any leeway to work with?

Thanks for your help! Last question: does a double in EE/math give me any leeway to work with?

Not by itself. If you, for instance, took extremely taxing course loads and distinguished yourself in other areas (MCAT, research, leadership), then your GPA may not have any negative effect, but just having a certain major doesn't give you any leeway for your GPA and certainly not for your MCAT.

I doubt that you have any chance at all at top 20 or UC schools. I would be surprised if you get interviews at the next 10 or 20 schools down from there.

I think a 3.6 GPA and MCAT of 33 would make it likely, but by no means guaranteed, that you get accepted somewhere, but only if you apply widely and if you apply to all of the lower ranked private MD schools. It's probably not too late to add the lower ranked schools to your list for this cycle. I agree with the suggestion that you apply to DO schools as well.
I'm guessing the accepted applicants have amazing ECs and LORs though...

Mostly, ones with 3.6 GPAs had 40 MCATS and / or 4.0 in their special masters program.

The ones with 30 MCATs had 4.0 GPAs and PhDs.

The one's with 3.6 and 33 MCAT have buildings named after their grandfather or are the dean's nephew, were navy SEALs , or have Olympic medals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, no disrespect but when I read top 20 schools and UCs, I wasn't sure if the post was legitimate. It's not that you are a terrible applicant (not the case at all), with the exception of a handful of states (unfortunately California is one) you would almost certainly be accepted to a state school. But applicants who get accepted to top schools usually get rejected by half of them, at least. And those applicants are 3.8/36 types, with lots of leadership and sometimes meaningful research. It is absolutely not too late to add some schools and do some secondaries. Add all the schools @Goro suggested, seems like I have read that the SUNYs like CA applicants (but maybe the high stats ones), and any private school with low stats and hope for the best. I wasn't complete until September because of a late LOR and I still got my application considered. So don't worry about being late. And I hope we're all wrong and you can get some bites from top schools, but do the extra work now and don't become a re-applicant if they don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Ouch. ok. That was brutal. But I will definitely consider applying elsewhere. Honestly though, what's the big difference between a 3.6/33 and a 3.8/36... this is such a numbers-heavy game.

Ouch. ok. That was brutal. But I will definitely consider applying elsewhere. Honestly though, what's the big difference between a 3.6/33 and a 3.8/36... this is such a numbers-heavy game.

Unfortunately for many people, the difference is that the fact that so many of the latter exist. It's a buyer's market for medical schools.

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah if they could interview every applicant then it would be less so. But with just a few hundred interview slots, how will they justify interviewing someone with below median stats on both gpa and mcat? It would have to be a URM situation (not the case), or an outstanding EC or LOR thing (you said they were average). I think the important thing to remember is that when you get an interview, someone else doesn't. So if they're going to reject someone with 3.8/36 to interview you, they need to be able to justify it. I really didn't mean to sound harsh. It's just that people see 10th percentile stats and see that they fall in. That's why I think LizzyM scores are so valuable. You're a 69, trying to get interviews at, say Columbia, a 75 school. The people with 3.6 gpas have 39 mcats, and 33 mcats have 4.0 gpas and still get lucky. And a white male in California just sucks. Just bad luck, there.

But I apologize if that seemed harsh. I honestly didn't mean for it to. You've worked hard and put together a solid app, you just have to send it somewhere that can afford to read it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

If you think of the bell curve... each incremental increase in GPA becomes harder to achieve the higher you go. 3.6 vs 3.8 is a huge difference spread over an entire undergraduate career. It's because of this phenomenon that you see what Wedgedawg talks about.... there's just more people with 3.6s vs 3.8s. This logic applies in even more extremes in the 3.9s.

A 33 MCAT vs a 36 MCAT follows this same logic. Every point counts especially since the range of scores is lower for the old MCAT.

Don't underestimate the differences near the top of the curve.... otherwise you'll just become a "statistic."

You need a solid foundation of realistic schools. You can still salvage your situation and add more schools now. 3.6/33 are good stats, but if you don't apply strategically you will be in a bad position.

You've applied to a bunch of top schools, that's fine, but you need a more realistic base to rely on otherwise there is a strong chance you will be shutout.

Furthermore, this is very early in the cycle for interviews. There is plenty of time left.

No, don't just consider it, you MUST apply elsewhere. With your stats and background, it's pretty risky just applying to the top schools. Heck, I know someone who had a 3.9 at an Ivy League and 38 and only applied to top tier schools. Didn't end up getting in anywhere and had to re-apply. Don't be that person!

Reactions: 4 users

But Goro, I am a millennial. I grew up in the internet age where everything is available within seconds. It is not fair that I have to wait. I deserve it.

Also, I think minimum wage should be 30$, because I need to buy a frame for my liberal arts degree I worked so hard for and then complain about how I can't find a job related to my major.

Now excuse me, I have to complain about the ridiculous amount of student loans I took out going to my small private school majoring in Gender Feministic Studies of Polka History with a minor in Beyonce studies. That will show my parents. Major in engineering they say, HA. Get a respectable degree they said, HA. Go to a community college first they said, HAAA.

/end rant.

You almost made me spit my tea out all over my keyboard in laughter!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

But Goro, I am a millennial. I grew up in the internet age where everything is available within seconds. It is not fair that I have to wait. I deserve it.

Also, I think minimum wage should be 30$, because I need to buy a frame for my liberal arts degree I worked so hard for and then complain about how I can't find a job related to my major.

Now excuse me, I have to complain about the ridiculous amount of student loans I took out going to my small private school majoring in Gender Feministic Studies of Polka History with a minor in Beyonce studies. That will show my parents. Major in engineering they say, HA. Get a respectable degree they said, HA. Go to a community college first they said, HAAA.

/end rant.

Excellent catch @WedgeDawg :claps:

OP, you're a 'Very Good' applicant who has applied to an 'Elite' list of schools. Time for a quick course correction and another round of applications to some 'Good to Very Good' schools. Fortunately, because it's so early and your application has already been submitted, adding new schools will be easy and fast.

I do think you may get some GPA latitude for your EE/Math major -- more or less, depending on your UG school -- ex. Cal Tech or Cal State? But that will only kick in when/if your application reader digs deep enough to find it.

If one submits very early like OP, when IS a good time to get worried about not getting any interviews? November? December?

I'd say if you're applying to many top20 schools, that's fine, but the majority of schools you apply to should not be reach schools. My understanding is that you should aim as close to the median GPA and MCAT as possible (preferably above or below 2 points the MCAT median). Also, take the attributes your application highlights and try to couple it with schools that have similar visions.

If one submits very early like OP, when IS a good time to get worried about not getting any interviews? November? December?
You would rather have them than not have them, obviously. But mine were spread out throughout the season. Being worried really depends on if they're schools that you're "allowed" to be worried about. If it's your state school, and you have good numbers for their medians, and you know for a fact they've been giving out interviews in the earlier months, then worrying is kinda sorta justified (while still not at all productive) in December/January. But it depends on the school. Some schools interview very late into the spring the next year. Others, say NYU, generally doesn't interview into the next calendar year (they did interview the first two weeks of January last year).

But it's all over the place. I got a cluster of invites in October, a handful in November, one in December, and another cluster in January. I was also accepted to a school in each cluster, so if you're given an interview - you have a shot at acceptance. But I also got no interview at a lot of schools. All the worrying in the world wouldn't have changed that.

Keep in mind, I didn't submit super early. But I'm not sure I would have gotten invited any earlier.