Worried about not getting into pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ailiniel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am majoring in pharmaceutical science and I am just beginning my junior year. I have a 3.5 cumulative gpa and 3.1 math/science gpa. However my course loads are light and I have no experience besides shadowing for a day in retail and clinical pharmacy. But that's it. I have no life because I study all day until night.

I've had a few bad quarters with 3 C grades. You can look at my upload here showing all my courses and grades. I always take science courses with easy courses and I'm worried that pharmacy schools will look down on that.

I am really worried. I have had no luck getting volunteering position at a hospital and I am trying again. It's been hard for me to get a job since I have no work experience and I have social anxiety.

I really want to get into Ohio State, but do you think I have any chance? I have only two years left. I don't know what I'll do if I don't get into pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Relax and don't freak out, it's waaaay too early for you to be depressed. Continue to work on your grades, take more science courses now to compensate for your lighter load before. Work experience is great but if it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen. It's definitely not a deal breaker of any means! Commit to something else that you enjoy doing, whether it be a cultural club, political club, community service etc. Try doing some research at school if possible. & then when it's time for you to take the PCAT, make sure you study and brush up on your sciences and take some practice exams. One step at a time :)

I am majoring in pharmaceutical science and I am just beginning my junior year. I have a 3.5 cumulative gpa and 3.1 math/science gpa. However my course loads are light and I have no experience besides shadowing for a day in retail and clinical pharmacy. But that's it. I have no life because I study all day until night.

I've had a few bad quarters with 3 C grades. You can look at my upload here showing all my courses and grades. I always take science courses with easy courses and I'm worried that pharmacy schools will look down on that.

I am really worried. I have had no luck getting volunteering position at a hospital and I am trying again. It's been hard for me to get a job since I have no work experience and I have social anxiety.

I really want to get into Ohio State, but do you think I have any chance? I have only two years left. I don't know what I'll do if I don't get into pharmacy school.

LOL. I am not laughing at you. I am laughing with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I... wanna rock & roll all niiighhtt... and study every day! ;)

I'm just going to point this out:
Autumn 2010 - Chem 251 (O Chem) C-
Winter 2011 - Chem 251 (O Chem) A-
Spring 2011 - Chem 245 (O Chem Lab) C+
Spring 2011 - Chem 252 (O Chem) B+
Summer 2011 - Chem 253 (O Chem) B

Congrats on pulling that C- up. O Chem is a bit of a different beast - a lot of people struggle when they hit it. Your change in grades tells me you buckled down after the first part of Chem 251 & figured out some sort of study system that worked for you. And that's the trick to playing the higher education game.

I'll let you in on a secret - if I had been on a quarter instead of semester series, my scores would have been something like C/A/D/A+. I had a pretty steep curve on learning what sorts of details to study in each class (O Chem I & II are differently structured where I took it). I only saved O Chem II by getting a ridiculous grade on the comprehensive final. :rolleyes:

Perhaps this will give you some wisdom:

One hot summer’s day a fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of grapes ripening on a vine over a lofty branch. “Just the things to quench my thirst,” quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: “I am sure they are sour.”

I have a little social anxiety too! You're not alone. If you don't get into pharmacy school, you can still get a job doing something else. It's not the end of the world.

I have social anxiety too and I think it has ruined my quality of life. Last cycle I applied to just one school (big mistake) due to my lack of volunteering/community service. I was denied admission apparently due to my lack of social skills (determined by little community service). I am currently in group therapy but it's not really helping much. I worry everyday about getting into pharmacy school and working as a pharmacist. My stats are good though (3.8 GPA and 90 PCAT).

Find a volunteer position then after you get a good amount of hours go find a job. Also, join organizations like maybe 2 or 3 and then after a year of membership run for a leadership position, start small and run for historian first.
Do these things and you can lessen your social anxiety. Trust me I had social anxiety for 18 years and doing the stuff I just said really helps and it would also look amazing on your application.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
I know that sometimes social anxiety can be caused be something that affected you in the past (been there), so if you need anyone to talk to you can pm me.

Last edited:
Don't give up! You can do this, just push yourself to find a volunteering or tech work and stick with it. Most applicants have weak spots- organic chemistry is one of the more common ones. Since you've managed to pull it up it will be okay. And I know social anxiety is tough to deal with, I have the same issue; repeated exposure is key. Try finding a pharmacy tech job, it's done wonders for me... I couldn't even answer phone calls before without my heart pounding. Now since I answer so many calls a day, it's become second nature.

Following the above advise "One step at a time :) ". Take a break... I'm now in pharmacy school and I recognized that nobody should die just because not get in Rx school. Try with all your best!

I'm not sure why you study all day until night and don't have a life at this point. Undergrad classes aren't too difficult for you not to have a life. What are you going to do when you get in pharmacy school then? For me, I take classes, tutor organic chemistry, volunteer at a pharmacy, and part time job with my dad and still find time to study and have fun with my friends.

Maybe you need to organize your time better so that you can look at things beside just your school work. And if you feel like you have social problems, maybe you can seek a psychiatrist, there is no issues with that at all.

As far as your transcript go, I see a lot of A's and A-'s there so I don't know why would you be worried even if you got some C's.

Just a note: I did up a flowchart of which classes a friend needed to take to get into pharma school the other day. Then I did a mock schedule to finish prereqs in 2 years, only targeting one school. (No bonus points for guessing which one. :rolleyes:)

I'm not sure I could have handled the schedule I would have needed to finish in 2 years, especially without summer semesters. I would have been starved for time. If that's what the OP is doing, no wonder s/he has no life besides studying. Now, if you're spreading out the prereqs over 4 years for a bachelors degree, I'm not sure why the schedule would have to be that intensive. But to each their own, yeah?

You have pretty decent gpa. No worries there. Keep looking for shadowing experience or tech job.

Four years ago, I wanted to work in a labortory setting, so I applied to every lab position on campus and off campus. I think I applied probably 40+ positions in a period of 4 months, and I only got one interview, which is the job I got. Do not give up and be persistent. Go back to hospital and retail pharmacy more than once if you had to. Someone will noticed your love for pharmacy, and you will be shadowing pharmacist in no time.

Also you mention about anxiety issue. I think work or volunteering experiences will help you resolve your anxiety issue in the long run. I use to worry a lot too. That changed when I saw patients suffering while waiting in line at a homeless shelter. I realized that my personal problem is so insignificant compared to their problems.

Don't stress out too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
with as many schools as there are opening up i'm sure you'll have no problem getting into pharmacy school. now- finding a job- hahahahahaa---> you'll be screwed

You have a good shot for schools like Touro. They'll take pretty much anybody with a pulse.

he should be at ease. getting in will be easy

The hardest part of getting in is dealing with the variation of pre-reqs from one school to another. I found that the biggest obstacle in applying.

I'm a worrier, too, but you have to tell yourself not to worry. As someone who is a career-changer and a little older than you (most likely), I would tell you from experience that the best thing to do is stay positive, always work on improving yourself, and don't let the stress get to you.

Basically, you might get in and you might not, and just hatch out a plan for both of those scenarios. Maybe you might even want to wait, get an MPH, get a job working in drug marketing or maybe even at a medical office.

Don't drown in your fears. Also, I wouldn't look for emotional support on SDN. Too many trolls on here that sociopathically get off on making anonymous folks feel bad.

The best thing you can do is practice keeping your chin up, learning how to manage your stress and anxiety, and just try your best. You're young; there will be a lot of chances to apply to pharmacy schools. Seriously, the best thing you can learn to do is manage your stress and anxiety about your life, create some exciting or at least reasonable backup options (no "my life is over if I don't get into Ohio State's pharmacy school" doom-talk), and just live a healthy life. Don't panic and go into a doom spiral. There are options, and you should talk to your advisors and career office about them.

Also, make your happiness your priority. People who are happy, have equal time for play and for studying are happier. Also, do what you can to manage your social anxiety, be it seeing a psychiatrist or a therapist, or whatever else that helps. Be sure to spend time with your friends, off and away from the internet, and know that having fun can really help you study harder and focus more.

Last edited:
I am in group therapy now and I don't feel much better about my skills or future. On the contrary, the therapist said that I am one the most intelligent client he met and praised my abilities (that doesn't seem to matter and it's hard to believe). Is pharmacy do able with social anxiety ? Is any career good for social anxiety ? I am tempted to go into computer science but maybe it's my anxiety that's making me do that as if computer science job doesn't require any social interaction. I am all set to apply to pharmacy schools (3.9 GPA and 90 PCAT) but not confident about future.

I am in group therapy now and I don't feel much better about my skills or future. On the contrary, the therapist said that I am one the most intelligent client he met and praised my abilities (that doesn't seem to matter and it's hard to believe). Is pharmacy do able with social anxiety ? Is any career good for social anxiety ? I am tempted to go into computer science but maybe it's my anxiety that's making me do that as if computer science job doesn't require any social interaction. I am all set to apply to pharmacy schools (3.9 GPA and 90 PCAT) but not confident about future.

There aren't many jobs in pharmacy (or jobs in any field, for that matter) that don't involve some sort of social interaction. There's the rare work from home job here and there, but those are the exception. If you don't have any pharmacy experience yet, I highly recommend getting some (shadowing, volunteering, tech job, etc.) before you commit to pharmacy. Hopefully, that would give you a better idea of whether or not you can handle the social aspects of the job.

I think your grades are pretty good. A few Cs will not kill your chances of getting into a pretty good school. Don't freak out so much about it. A 3.5 cGPA is pretty competitive at virtually all pharmacy schools. My only advice would be to try harder to get paid experience. Maybe try becoming a tech. It would also be good to have some ECs. Pharm schools want well rounded candidates and not just book worms. Also, do some community volunteering.

There aren't many jobs in pharmacy (or jobs in any field, for that matter) that don't involve some sort of social interaction. There's the rare work from home job here and there, but those are the exception. If you don't have any pharmacy experience yet, I highly recommend getting some (shadowing, volunteering, tech job, etc.) before you commit to pharmacy. Hopefully, that would give you a better idea of whether or not you can handle the social aspects of the job.

If that’s the case, then I have to deal with social anxiety or I am ruined. Don’t want to give up on pharmacy as my anxiety is making me believe that other professions are easier to handle (computer science assumption). Too little time left though, applied to pharmacy schools and hopefully will get in. This is worrisome.

If that’s the case, then I have to deal with social anxiety or I am ruined. Don’t want to give up on pharmacy as my anxiety is making me believe that other professions are easier to handle (computer science assumption). Too little time left though, applied to pharmacy schools and hopefully will get in. This is worrisome.

Regarding your anxiety, my biggest concern for you is patient counseling. I'm assuming you may already think that community pharmacy might not be your best tract, but thats not the only patient-direct communication you will have, it exists everywhere and you'll perform mock patient-counseling beginning your p1 year. I dont want to stress you out, but this is what the profession entails, and I dont think you should be 100k in the hole and 4 yrs of your life gone for something you dont love.

Actually, there are hospital positions, compounding pharmacies, long term care, and mail order pharmacy positions which do not involve much social interaction. They are boring, but do not really have to deal with people all that much.