Worried about obtaining LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazy4psych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds silly, but I'm extremely worried that my LORs will prevent me from entering graduate school. I'm involved with research, and am currently conducting a study with a professor, but I don't say much because I'm second author and the professor doesn't really get to know anyone on a personal level. However, I have put a lot of effort into this project, and she is my honor's thesis adviser... Should I ask her for a letter and just hand her a list of things I have done? I'm worried the letter will show she does not know me that well personally... Also, I don't know where my other two letters will come from, but the only professor who got to know me was an adjunct who wouldn't do research and stopped teaching when she got a job. However, she is a clinical psychologist and she was impressed by my extra work I did in her class. Someone told me that receiving an A from a professor does not make for a good letter, however, should I ask her for one? She is the only professor at my school is who personable. Basically, my question is, should I ask the professors I have done research with for a LOR even if I didn't talk to them on a personal level? Furthermore, I was also wondering how the LOR process works. For instance, I'm applying to a few PhD programs this year that are in my reach, but if I don't get accepted, I will be attending my school for a master's. Would I have to ask them each time I apply to graduate school, or do I get to hold onto them and make copies? I plan on applying to 5-10 programs this year, and about 20-30 after my master's, and no I don't want to apply to all the programs I'm interested in this year because I'm not a good match yet.

Members don't see this ad.

One more questions: I'm taking a few graduate courses in the fall. If I do well in the classes and get to know the professor, would that make for a good letter? They aren't involved in research, but I need a letter from someone...

I'd say you'll want to get a letter from at least one professor affiliated with the research lab you're working in, yes. If she doesn't tend to get to know undergrads on a very personal level, then she's probably used to receiving or asking for a CV/list of activities and achievements; providing this to her along with the LOR request should be fine.

The adjunct faculty member sounds like she could be a good letter source if you feel that she got to know you well enough in the class you took with her. The problem is, of course, that when speaking to how she knows you, she'll essentially only be able to say, "XX took my class." However, particularly if that's your only option, it's definitely better that than nothing. I had to get a last-minute additional letter from someone after my original writer ran into some health problems, and the person I chose was someone with whom I'd only taken two or three classes (and who wasn't in psychology). It probably didn't strengthen my application much, but I did ultimately get in somewhere way back when.

No, you won't be able to hang on to letters to make copies later, as there's a good chance you'll never see the letters directly at all. I would just let the profs know ahead of time that if you don't get in this year, you'll be re-applying after completing your masters in 2016 (?), and see if they'd be ok with again writing you letters at that time. Also, you're going to get at least one or two people in said masters program who'll be letter writers, so you may only need one or two (if that) from your undergrad profs.

As I mentioned above, if you do well in the classes, and if the prof feels comfortable writing you a letter, then yes, that could make for an acceptable (although perhaps not ideal) option. Then again, if you spend a significant amount of time and energy getting to know the faculty member(s), they might actually be able to write a surprisingly strong letter.

I also agree you would want to get a letter from the person you are involved with for research. Having been on the side of receiving requests from undergrads asking me for LORs (both because I led projects they worked on or had them in class), here's what I would recommend. Get a list of tasks you worked on in the lab. Could include how tasks were indicative of positive characteristics, e.g. "Showed dedication by working extra hours when the study necessitated it." I would provide the list when making the request, ask if they could provide you with a strong letter, and ask if meeting with the prof in person would help them get to know you and your career aspirations better. I would follow up with your CV and maybe your personal statement, that way the prof has multiple sources of information to draw from if they so choose.

Reactions: 1 user