Worried about really low GPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferocity

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Basically I'm just wondering what my chances are. I retook many classes to try and get my GPA up. My situation is with grade averaging, my cGPA is only 2.7 and science GPA is 2.5. But with grade replacement, such as for DO, my cGPA is 3.08 and my science GPA is 3.1.

The problem was in my first 2 years of school, I was a bad student and on top of that I was going through rough times.

I winged the MCAT last year and got a 23N, and I'm certain that I will get at least a 26 on this try.

I have 350 hours volunteering in the E.R, 60 hours shadowing a DO, and 30 hours shadowing a DPM.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Your initial GPAs are a little low, but with the grade replacement they aren't bad. Schools do like upward trends in GPA, so that's a big plus!

The 23N you got on your MCAT isn't awful. Getting the 26 would help open up scholarships and would help balance the lower GPA.

I think that with the improved GPA, getting the 26 on the MCAT, and applying early you should get accepted. If/When you get an interview be prepared to talk about those first two years of college though. Chances are they are going to want to know why you weren't doing all that well.

I hope this helps and good luck to you!

Your initial GPAs are a little low, but with the grade replacement they aren't bad. Schools do like upward trends in GPA, so that's a big plus!

The 23N you got on your MCAT isn't awful. Getting the 26 would help open up scholarships and would help balance the lower GPA.

I think that with the improved GPA, getting the 26 on the MCAT, and applying early you should get accepted. If/When you get an interview be prepared to talk about those first two years of college though. Chances are they are going to want to know why you weren't doing all that well.

I hope this helps and good luck to you!

What I'm worried about with my 2.6 cGPA and 2.5sGPA is getting instantly rejected from schools. For example NYCPM says that their minimum is 2.75

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly can't tell you. You would have to call/email admissions at NYCPM and explain to them your situation. They should be able to help you and provide you with reliable information.

I do have a question for you, though. Are you using DPM as a back up for DO? From your post history you seem to be. I know you say you have shadowed a podiatrist, but make sure it's really what you want to do before you commit. You don't want to make a rushed/wrong decision that makes you miserable.

I honestly can't tell you. You would have to call/email admissions at NYCPM and explain to them your situation. They should be able to help you and provide you with reliable information.

I do have a question for you, though. Are you using DPM as a back up for DO? From your post history you seem to be. I know you say you have shadowed a podiatrist, but make sure it's really what you want to do before you commit. You don't want to make a rushed/wrong decision that makes you miserable.

No, in fact I find podiatry to be more appealing because I have a higher probability of doing surgery. I am interested in sports medicine.

If this is really what you want to do then I believe you'll make it. If there is a will there is a way!

Pod school does not have grade replacement to my knowledge and your GPA is too low to get in rigt now. (<10% chance as 2.7 science is the low end of the acceptable range) If you really want this, do a 1 yr medical masters. That + the 26 may get you in someplace as long as you do well in the medical masters program. Good luck.

Pod school does not have grade replacement to my knowledge and your GPA is too low to get in rigt now. (<10% chance as 2.7 science is the low end of the acceptable range) If you really want this, do a 1 yr medical masters. That + the 26 may get you in someplace as long as you do well in the medical masters program. Good luck.

So you think I only have a 10% chance of getting in with a 26? That's rough...

Is it possible for me to have a slightly better chance of getting in with a slightly higher MCAT score, say about 29?

Is it possible for me to have a slightly better chance of getting in with a slightly higher MCAT score, say about 29?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=803612&highlight=rejected

Take a look at this thread.

He applied this year and was rejected from all of the schools.

He had similar gpa (2.4/2.5) and a 33Q MCAT.

If I were you I would do a 1 year masters program in a related field and apply for the following year.

For whatever reason the schools seem to be more likely to take a risk on students with a high GPA/low MCAT than those with a low GPA/high MCAT.

i had a very low gpa and reasonably high mcat. i received interview offers from 8 of the 9 schools. i accepted 5 offers and was admitted to 4 programs and waitlisted at 1 (although i'm pretty sure a huge reason why i was waitlisted was because i did a horrible interview that day, not my grades). i attended a top-25 undergrad, so maybe the adcoms took that into consideration.

PM me if you want my actual stats that were calculated by AACPMAS.

29 on MCAT will certainly get you accepted everywhere IF coupled with a decent gpa, like 2.8+. The problem is your gpa. The gpa not only reflects your mastery of a discipline but also shows what kind of a student you are (b/c you know, no matter how smart you are, if you don't put in the effort then you will fail). Your gpa clearly shows that you were a "bad" student. Don't count on grade replacement. Pod schools avg everything.

You're no longer that "bad" student, I hope. Put the past behind and focus on what you can work with right now. Two things must be done to get accepted somewhere.

First, MCAT. Do well. If you're going to wing it like the last time then don't even bother. You probably winged it b/c you didn't study hard and prepared enough. If you can't do this then you just don't have the balls. MCAT is no joke. Getting that 29 won't be easy especially b/c you're starting from 23.

Second (only after accomplishing the first), IF you do well on the MCAT, you will be invited for an interview at couple of schools. Do not let it slip. You must seize it and have at it with all you've got. As far as your gpa is concerned you will explain what happened. Do not give excuses. Think carefully about what went wrong with you, not the crap around you, and man up about it. Then explain how and what you have done to fix it. Yes, your gpa is subpar but we all know that there's more than what meets the eye.

After all, as RATM2010 noted, you do have a slim chance. I would call the admissions at various schools and find out what more can be done.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Basically I'm just wondering what my chances are. I retook many classes to try and get my GPA up. My situation is with grade averaging, my cGPA is only 2.7 and science GPA is 2.5. But with grade replacement, such as for DO, my cGPA is 3.08 and my science GPA is 3.1.

The problem was in my first 2 years of school, I was a bad student and on top of that I was going through rough times.

I winged the MCAT last year and got a 23N, and I'm certain that I will get at least a 26 on this try.

I have 350 hours volunteering in the E.R, 60 hours shadowing a DO, and 30 hours shadowing a DPM.

Thoughts?

Trust me.... I was in a very similar boat as I am sure a lot of podiatry students are... I sent you a private message, we can discuss my stats and the necessary steps I used to secure my spot at a podiatry school. I think you will be just fine. Always remember that the key is applying early. DO NOT LOSE HOPE! What is meant to be will be! :)

Thanks to a few of you that have given me some hope! :thumbup:

I'm sorry to not give hope but we are trying to give you info based on possible outcomes. The possible 29 (Not happening) Even Kaplan says the most likely increase is 3 points. If your GPA is at least 2.7, you should be fine even with the 23. If the GPA is <2.7, good luck. Just make sure you sell your strengths in the interviews.Although mcat and GPA are key,they do look at the whole applicant. Good luck and apply early.

I'm sorry to not give hope but we are trying to give you info based on possible outcomes. The possible 29 (Not happening) Even Kaplan says the most likely increase is 3 points. If your GPA is at least 2.7, you should be fine even with the 23. If the GPA is <2.7, good luck. Just make sure you sell your strengths in the interviews.Although mcat and GPA are key,they do look at the whole applicant. Good luck and apply early.

Anyone can increase there scores if they study. First time I took the test (online practice test) I scored a 23 (just like the OP without prior studying). After studying for a couple of months, scored a 34Q on the real exam. Do not make assumptions on possible scores based on Kaplan.

I sent my transcripts to an admissions counselor and we discussed my chances. In the last year and a half before I graduated from U of MD, I maintained a 3.1 semester gpa while taking a full course load and holding a job. This upward trend looks much better than constantly sitting at a 2.5gpa per semester up until graduation. The counselor told me that I don't need to do a post-bac and that I DO have a chance of getting in, especially after I bump up my MCAT by at least a few points.

Also this advice came from one of the schools that has a GPA cutoff which is above my cGPA.

I will update this thread after I clear each obstacle ahead of me. :)

Last edited:
Anyone can increase there scores if they study. First time I took the test (online practice test) I scored a 23 (just like the OP without prior studying). After studying for a couple of months, scored a 34Q on the real exam. Do not make assumptions on possible scores based on Kaplan.

Who takes a real mcat without studying.That is a 200 dollar test. My assumption was based on his last real score. The first time I took a practice test without studying, I scored in the teens. After studying, my score went up +10 points. I can not increase my score another 10 points now and this is no assumption. You are lucky to increase +3 from the last real score and are more likely to decrease your score drmushroomfeet. Don't fill this person with false hope. He/she needs realistic advice. Maybe I should tell the op he can raise the 23 to a 40. Not happening.

Last edited:
I sent my transcripts to an admissions counselor and we discussed my chances. In the last year and a half before I graduated from U of MD, I maintained a 3.1 semester gpa while taking a full course load and holding a job. This upward trend looks much better than constantly sitting at a 2.5gpa per semester up until graduation. The counselor told me that I don't need to do a post-bac and that I DO have a chance of getting in, especially after I bump up my MCAT by at least a few points.

Also this advice came from one of the schools that has a GPA cutoff which is above my cGPA.

I will update this thread after I clear each obstacle ahead of me. :)

Okay there ferocity.I hope your UMD, which last time I checked did not have a pod school, knows about pod school admission definates. Maybe your counslor should have told you that your 23 wasalready good enough to get you in any school and raising that will not magically make them forget that your science GPA in a degree of science classes is less than 2.7, a min found on all if not most POD school FAQ pages. I hope your counselor is right there Ferocity.

Who takes a real mcat without studying.That is a 200 dollar test. My assumption was based on his last real score. The first time I took a practice test without studying, I scored in the teens. After studying, my score went up +10 points. I can not increase my score another 10 points now and this is no assumption. You are lucky to increase +3 from the last real score and are more likely to decrease your score drmushroomfeet. Don't fill this person with false hope. He/she needs realistic advice. Maybe I should tell the op he can raise the 23 to a 40. Not happening.

I agree that IF he had tried his best, increasing his score drastically would be very difficult. However, I have no reason to doubt what the OP stated in his first post. If you read back to his post, he states he "winged" the exam, to me that means he didnot study for his MCAT. I know of a handful of people who have taken the exam fresh out of college without studying to get a baseline score. Note, a 200 dollar price tag does not mean the same to everyone, there are plenty of people out there who consider that pocket change.

Now, if you and I can both increase our scores 10+ from our initial test, it is not "false hope" to tell the OP he can increase his score by more than 3 points AFTER studying for the exam.

A 23 is actually really good for just winging the MCAT. Many of my friends got a 20 on their first ever practice/diagnostic MCAT exam. By the end of their studies, they all achieved 28-31 It can be done. Anyone can do it... and I mean, ANYONE. It all depends on how much you want it and how hard you work for it. It may take longer for some people because their science background is lacking or or they just BS'd their way in undergrad.

A 23 is actually really good for just winging the MCAT. Many of my friends got a 20 on their first ever practice/diagnostic MCAT exam. By the end of their studies, they all achieved 28-31 It can be done. Anyone can do it... and I mean, ANYONE. It all depends on how much you want it and how hard you work for it. It may take longer for some people because their science background is lacking or or they just BS'd their way in undergrad.

:thumbup:

Okay there ferocity.I hope your UMD, which last time I checked did not have a pod school, knows about pod school admission definates. Maybe your counslor should have told you that your 23 wasalready good enough to get you in any school and raising that will not magically make them forget that your science GPA in a degree of science classes is less than 2.7, a min found on all if not most POD school FAQ pages. I hope your counselor is right there Ferocity.

Get lost with your annoying and condescending tone.

Why the heck would I speak with an admissions counselor from U of MD? Obviously I spoke with an admissions counselor at a podiatry school. This should have been pretty obvious given the other comments I made in my post. Reading comprehension clearly is not your strong point.

I'm already scoring significantly higher on the AAMC practice exam.

In summary, get lost.

Get lost with your annoying and condescending tone.

Why the heck would I speak with an admissions counselor from U of MD? Obviously I spoke with an admissions counselor at a podiatry school. This should have been pretty obvious given the other comments I made in my post. Reading comprehension clearly is not your strong point.

I'm already scoring significantly higher on the AAMC practice exam.

In summary, get lost.

I will stay lost for 1 year. I will be the first to bring this old post back up and point out that ferocity FAILED to get into any school due to his/her 2.5 science GPA. See you in a year Ferocity.

As the sayin goes, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. These "I told you so" posts are unneeded. If he truly has a desire to get in, he eventually will down the road.

As the sayin goes, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. These "I told you so" posts are unneeded. If he truly has a desire to get in, he eventually will down the road.

:thumbup:

Increased my MCAT score.

Received an interview invite from TUSPM.

:)

Congrats to the OP

~Keep us updated

Congrats!!

Much luck on your interview.

Thank you to all - especially the ones that helped me over PM.

Also received an invitation from Western today. :D

Invited for interview at NYCPM :thumbup:

Hey man congrats sounds like you're tearing it up. What were your final stats?

:thumbup: Nice work. Like others have said, if you are determined, you will get in. I had terrible grades during my freshman and sophmore years of undergrad, turned things around a little during my last 2 years and had stats not much more impressive than yours. My science GPA was especially low, but I think that was because my undergrad school was brutal with science. I got to TUSPM and found that I felt very prepared compared to the rest of my class and did very well. Basically, even with a 2.0 sGPA you've learned enough that if you apply yourself, you can get through school. I was seriously worried, but have done just fine.

Get ready for interviews. Be yourself and try to have a good time. Remember that the school needs you as much as you need the school. :) You'll be fine.

Now, if I can just dig deep enough to really start studying for that trauma test.