Worried about starting new intern job during APPEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmStudent245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently just got my first pharmacy intern job at an independent in the Midwest area. I'm currently a P4 (I know in retrospect I should have started working wayyy earlier) and will be starting rotations in a couple weeks. Most rotations at our school run from about 9-5pm M-F. When I was interviewing for this new job, I told my new employer I'm free both Saturday's and Sunday any hours (as an older student I needed a job and wanted to let them know I have a lot of availability). For my first working weekend coming up soon, they scheduled me for two full days both Saturday and Sunday-about 18 hours. Of course without rotations or off months this isn't a problem at all and I'd be willing to work way more hours, but I'm worried what will happen once rotations start and I will be working 7 days a week, close to 60 hours. When I first told them I'm free weekends it seemed fine, but now that reality is setting in I'm worried. I was considering talking to my new employer before officially starting about working possibly every Saturday and two/three Sunday's a month once rotations start but I don't want to seem flaky/whiny before even starting and possibly make my boss rethink hiring me. As an older student, I was really lucky for them to even consider me. I keep telling myself to just suck it up and work as much as I can since I clearly lack the pharmacy experience many of my classmates have, but as a person with a lot of anxiety and little work experience I'm scared I won't be able to handle it. Any advice on what I should do? I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

You should suck it up and work a lot. Having a job is crucial for obtaining employment after graduation. I worked seven days a week for four months straight without a single day off and it wasn't super fun, but it also wasn't that bad. Schedule your time carefully, and you can do it. In fact, most people tend to be more productive when they're super busy because there's no time to procrastinate. Just make sure to make some time for yourself in the evenings now and then - veg out with a movie, go for a run, whatever you do to chill out. This situation is temporary, and the possibility that it could pay off will be worth it in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Stick with it. You need to make up for the lack of experience. Maybe after getting settled in you could request a modified schedule. It wasn't uncommon for me to work three weeks straight or more with some small evening shifts mid-week thrown in. During that time, I was also doing medical writing gigs for a publisher. It totally sucked, I won't lie about that. I value my free time so much more because of it. Like I said, it's temporary and professional development should be your focus this year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can't handle working weekends at an indi you're in trouble... many people work 30 hour weeks all 4 years at CVSweatshop.

You should suck it up and work a lot. Having a job is crucial for obtaining employment after graduation. I worked seven days a week for four months straight without a single day off and it wasn't super fun, but it also wasn't that bad. Schedule your time carefully, and you can do it. In fact, most people tend to be more productive when they're super busy because there's no time to procrastinate. Just make sure to make some time for yourself in the evenings now and then - veg out with a movie, go for a run, whatever you do to chill out. This situation is temporary, and the possibility that it could pay off will be worth it in the end.

Granted I haven't done 4 months straight yet (on my 2nd month in a row now), but listen to this guy OP. If you really wanted that job offer, which you should be absolutely gunning for right now, then you should do whatever it takes to get it. Make the big sacrifices now so that you don't have to make them later on.

Reactions: 1 user