Worried about step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gerido

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have step 3 in two days and I briefly glanced over the Crush book. I tried the three blocks multiple choice questions by FSMB/USMLE and i'm getting 60% on the first two blocks and 70% on the 3rd. The 2nd and 3rd blocks only has 24 questions...

Can someone tell me if this is likely enough to pass? I don't have any time to study, but I don't want to fail it either. Should I cancel the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I have step 3 in two days and I briefly glanced over the Crush book. I tried the three blocks multiple choice questions by FSMB/USMLE and i'm getting 60% on the first two blocks and 70% on the 3rd. The 2nd and 3rd blocks only has 24 questions...

Can someone tell me if this is likely enough to pass? I don't have any time to study, but I don't want to fail it either. Should I cancel the exam?

depends - what residency are you doing? what year? did you do any UW questions? how much studying HAVE you done outside of glancing over crush.

depends - what residency are you doing? what year? did you do any UW questions? how much studying HAVE you done outside of glancing over crush.

I'm a urology resident. I have mostly general surgery this year. No studying beside glancing crush, will do one day's worth of UW questions.. probably 300 or so.

300 questions probably won't help you learn a ton of information - the test is mostly medicine (and outpatient medicine at that). What is probably the most useful is probably to practice the CSS cases because they are for the most part easy and you'll get the most points from it. Some of the stuff will end up being recall from your 3rd+4th year clinical years along with educational guesses after coming down to 2 choices. You'll likely be fine IF you practice the cases and aren't getting mid to low 40's on UW blocks

the above is obviously just my opinion while others are free to chime in and give their take