Worried about Uworld first pass averages.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MillaMi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am preparing for USLME. I am 2 months away from the exam. I have done uworld questions timed, random lately. about 1000 questions deep. I keep averaging 30s to 40s and sometime in the 50s. I am really worried, is 2 months enough to improve? I am using it as a learning tool but basically still getting the same averages. First pass. I am not so much worried about the average as much as much as the fact I have done so many questions. Is this normal? Abnormal. Please I would like advice from anyone had experienced the USLME exam and can give me any idea of when or if I already should worry. I keep hearing people average in their 50s.

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you learn the bulk of your material from: lectures, First Aid, or uworld questions?

Where did you learn the bulk of your material from: lectures, First Aid, or uworld questions?

I am doing uworld, then just looking up what I got wrong, basically uworld, and now in April, which test is in June, I am reading along pages here and there. I am trying to build a better foundation, I just want to know how much I can improve in 2 months and, if the last 1400 get better lol. I need few input on what are common trends, and I can't tell how much I should be concerned, or if this isn't an uncommon thing.

I am doing uworld, then just looking up what I got wrong, basically uworld, and now in April, which test is in June, I am reading along pages here and there. I am trying to build a better foundation, I just want to know how much I can improve in 2 months and, if the last 1400 get better lol. I need few input on what are common trends, and I can't tell how much I should be concerned, or if this isn't an uncommon thing.

I just want to add, also I am doing RX videos, and just started pathoma (but I have seen this material before back in December). I guess I need another sweep through, but primarily I was using Uworld as a learning tool

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask how your grades were during the first two years? There might be some foundation gaps so if you can catch those then yeah I think you can improve in 2 months.

I would agree, it sounds like foundation gaps are the problem. Hopefully someone else would provide their opinion but I would suggest easing off uworld and hit First Aid and Pathoma with a vengeance. Then return to uworld.

Reactions: 1 user
I am an average student, but significantly improved 2nd year. I get As, Bs, sometimes C in tests. 2nd year I was usually above average on exams. To be honest, I understand material more in clinical settings situations than test taking. I keep hearing people saying this is okay to do as first pass, and some people saying 2nd pass will signicantly improve. I wanted to stop the questions and have more time doing a good foundation but someone suggest DONT STOP THE QUESTIONS.......

So is it n
May I ask how your grades were during the first two years? There might be some foundation gaps so if you can catch those then yeah I think you can improve in 2 months.

spoiler alert: you will get a 215, you will not match, you will scramble to family medicine or IM somewhere far far away

spoiler alert: you will get a 215, you will not match, you will scramble to family medicine or IM somewhere far far away

You sound very young. Let me explain something to you my dear friend. I come here for advice, and guidance. I am not a kid, I am an adult. I know how the real world works, and I will get whatever medicine I want. I also am interested in internal medicine. I am in school because I love medicine, I love to care for people, and if you think that being somewhere far far away like family medicine and internal medicine is associated with a bad thing, I feel so bad for you in life. You sound spoiled, and inexperienced, and inconsiderate and I don't care how big your score is, your persona defines you. I hope you are not my age, and that you are just 22 years old. You have wasted my notification, and I came here for advice, not for ****s and giggles.

Family medicine on Mars

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can I ask you something, do you have any real advice to give me besides trying to make fun of people who are stressed. If you have gone through this, why are you inconsiderate? Just wondering do you enjoy being that dingus on the internet? Or is life just a joke to you. People study in 6 weeks and improve. You guys out of anyone else should know how it feels to be worried. What is the point of this useless remarks?

you should be studying instead of playing on SDN, your score just dropped to a 210
I am studying. I would like guidance on what I should do since everyone thinks this is about hating each other and being better than everyone else. I just want to know if I should lay off the questions, and start reading material, or just keep using the questions to learn. People tell me so many different things, like oh don't worry about first pass scores, just go through 2nd pass. But you seem very disappointed in me, and since you seem like you know all there is to know and you are this amazing God of a person, maybe you can use your magical brain for good and tell me what is the best thing I can do? hm? Want to try that?

you should be studying instead of playing on SDN, your score just dropped to a 210

I mean I know someone personally who got the same scores like me and in the end got a 250 something score. He told me there is much to improve in 2 months, but that might be just him and I don't want to rely only on his method. You have any tips you want to give me that would be very nice of you man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I know someone personally who got the same scores like me and in the end got a 250 something score. He told me there is much to improve in 2 months, but that might be just him and I don't want to rely only on his method. You have any tips you want to give me that would be very nice of you man.

What was his method and why don't you want to only rely on his method?

Can I ask you something, do you have any real advice to give me besides trying to make fun of people who are stressed. If you have gone through this, why are you inconsiderate? Just wondering do you enjoy being that dingus on the internet? Or is life just a joke to you. People study in 6 weeks and improve. You guys out of anyone else should know how it feels to be worried. What is the point of this useless remarks?

No need to get fussy. It's good to have a little fun once in a while.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Hey, I'm sorry to see that you have to deal these d!cks. Put them on ignore if you need to.

Did you take an NBME for a baseline? If not, take an early one like 12 or 13 -- 12 is retired, but you can find an offline copy if you want to start with that. Caveat is the early NBME doesn't represent the current USMLE, but you still have an idea where you stand. About Uworld percentage, yes it is normal especially if your school never taught you the materials. Are you currently doing it on tutor or untimed mode? If neither, I suggest of doing them then refer back to FA AFTER you finish the block. Repetition is the key here. Moreover, you really should ignore UWorld percentage b/c you don't know the materials plus the questions are tricky. It is designed that way for you to learn.

What was his method and why don't you want to only rely on his method?
Well because I am afraid since I don't see any improvement really in the amount of questions I am doing, I feel like its taking a lot of time for me to also go through the book. I can't tell if I should just stop the questions to get more time for foundations but I keep hearing thats a very bad idea because it puts me further away from doing a 2nd sweep.

Hey, I'm sorry to see that you have to deal these d!cks. Put them on ignore if you need to.

Did you take an NBME for a baseline? If not, take an early one like 12 or 13 -- 12 is retired, but you can find an offline copy if you want to start with that. Caveat is the early NBME doesn't represent the current USMLE, but you still have an idea where you stand. About Uworld percentage, yes it is normal especially if your school never taught you the materials. Are you currently doing it on tutor or untimed mode? If neither, I suggest of doing them then refer back to FA AFTER you finish the block. Repetition is the key here. Moreover, you really should ignore UWorld percentage b/c you don't know the materials plus the questions are tricky. It is designed that way for you to learn.

I do them timed, mixed, random to improve in my reading skills, and yes my school did not teach me well, I am doing this all on my own, I hate them. Even with 800-900 questions deep this is normal? When should I start seeing improvement? And by how long can I see improvement 1 month,2?

Just wondering and thank you so much, I am really concerned.

No need to get fussy. It's good to have a little fun once in a while.

I have fun, I have a lot of fun, but this isn't the time, because clearly I am concerned, and I do want to do well, because I care about my future just like everybody else in this. I would appreciate if people would actually not come on here to find a way to make themselves laugh, and instead help me with any input from experience, if they can.

When you read the answer and explanation, what is the usual reason you got it wrong? If it's because you just blatantly did not know the answer, you've got some big gaps in your knowledge that need to be filled.

When you read the answer and explanation, what is the usual reason you got it wrong? If it's because you just blatantly did not know the answer, you've got some big gaps in your knowledge that need to be filled.
Most of the time it is because I simply forgot, or I wasn't super prepared in depth with the knowledge in that sections. I am never fully lost in the question or find the material hard to understand. I am using it as a study tool, basically my primary study tool.

I have fun, I have a lot of fun, but this isn't the time, because clearly I am concerned, and I do want to do well, because I care about my future just like everybody else in this. I would appreciate if people would actually not come on here to find a way to make themselves laugh, and instead help me with any input from experience, if they can.

Fair enough.

http://usmle-score-correlation.blogspot.com

Check out this site. They give correlations between U-World and the USMLE. From previous forums, they seem to match up pretty well. You still have two months till your exam. I am sure you can bring up your score significantly in that amount of time depending on the reason you're missing questions. Like others have said, if you're reading questions and feel like they are "coming out of left field", you most likely have some gaps in your education and should start hitting your weak areas. Also, have you noticed that you are doing poorer in certain topics than others?

@kenjixshadow Watch your tone.

Fair enough.

http://usmle-score-correlation.blogspot.com

Check out this site. They give correlations between U-World and the USMLE. From previous forums, they seem to match up pretty well. You still have two months till your exam. I am sure you can bring up your score significantly in that amount of time depending on the reason you're missing questions. Like others have said, if you're reading questions and feel like they are "coming out of left field", you most likely have some gaps in your education and should start hitting your weak areas. Also, have you noticed that you are doing poorer in certain topics than others?

There are subjects I can work on, I know what they are. But the problem is, they keep telling me the worst thing you can do is stop doing USLME questions and basically, I find it kind of difficult doing 44 block questions while trying to do depth reading in those sections. I just don't know if I should stop the USLME for 2 weeks, or lower the amount of questions, or just toughen it out and try to find a more time efficient way to look up answers and then set aside time to do the reviewing. What do suggest. And thank you man.

There are subjects I can work on, I know what they are. But the problem is, they keep telling me the worst thing you can do is stop doing USLME questions and basically, I find it kind of difficult doing 44 block questions while trying to do depth reading in those sections. I just don't know if I should stop the USLME for 2 weeks, or lower the amount of questions, or just toughen it out and try to find a more time efficient way to look up answers and then set aside time to do the reviewing. What do suggest. And thank you man.

Honestly, I don't want to tell you what to do cause I haven't started studying for USMLE and wouldn't be the one to talk to about this. Do you have a goal score? My suggestion and what I would do (take with a grain of salt) would be to keep working on the questions. After you do the questions, make sure you read the answers and UNDERSTAND why the wrong answers are wrong and why the right answer is right. Do this even for the ones you got right. Reviewing should take 3-4x longer than actually taking the questions.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't want to tell you what to do cause I haven't started studying for USMLE and wouldn't be the one to talk to about this. Do you have a goal score?
My goal is to do the best I can, obviously mentally I am shooting for the highest but would be perfectly okay with 230-240.

First off, 240 is a high score. I think 230 is average. I understand that you wanna do your best, but if you're shooting for a specialty that doesn't require you to score >230, don't stress.

I added stuff to my previous post. Go back and take a look.
Ok. Thank you so much for your help.

Lol at first year is giving a second year on how to study for USMLE. Stay away from Najeeb, ain't nobody has time for that. Uworld percentage correlation is pointless in your case. Continue what you're doing and make sure you read Uworld explanation thoroughly. Hit that UFAP hard for the next two months and you'll be fine.

Lol at first year is giving a second year on how to study for USMLE. Stay away from Najeeb, ain't nobody has time for that. Uworld percentage correlation is pointless in your case. Continue what you're doing and make sure you read Uworld explanation thoroughly. Hit that UFAP hard for the next two months and you'll be fine.

Hence the reason why I stated that I haven't studied for it yet.

Okay thanks

UWorld is not an evaluation tool; it is a learning tool. Continue doing questions, and review every answer they give you to gain further understanding of topics.

If you want an idea of how you're actually doing, you have to do NBME's. I would suggest you do one now to figure out where you stand, and then continue to do 1 per week to see how you're improving AND to get a better grip on the timing and feel of Step 1 as they're real practice questions.