Worried- Anesthesia Rotation September

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaStudent1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting M4 year soon. My first and only anesthesia rotation is not until Sept. I am very worried that this will be too late in order to get anesthesia letters in time. Advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You will probably ask for a letter end of September, absolute best case you get them within 2 weeks if your faculty understand the urgency of the situation...more than likely, it will take a month or more. So you will get your letters by mid-end October. It will cost you interviews unfortunately, since most programs send out most iv's by early-mid October. Good luck!

Thanks. Could anyone else weigh in on this? If I apply with everything else complete on Sept 15 (with an ob and internal sub i letter) would places interview me before my anesthesia letter was in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Could anyone else weigh in on this? If I apply with everything else complete on Sept 15 (with an ob and internal sub i letter) would places interview me before my anesthesia letter was in?

Well most places do ask for at least 3 letters. I got a ton of interviews before my dean's letter was in

I've wondered about this also. Will a program send out invites before your app is complete (not including mspe)? And when do most programs start reviewing apps? We need @TempleChairman

I've wondered about this also. Will a program send out invites before your app is complete (not including mspe)? And when do most programs start reviewing apps? We need @TempleChairman

Possibly, but I'd say unlikely. Most will want a full application before sending interviews so they can get a better idea of you as an applicant. Perhaps some of the larger programs (with ~ 25-30 per class) like Miami, Michigan would send invites simply to fill out their interview numbers but I could see this be very much not true as well. Get your letters in early.

Starting M4 year soon. My first and only anesthesia rotation is not until Sept. I am very worried that this will be too late in order to get anesthesia letters in time. Advice? Thanks!

This is unfortunate, but not prohibitive. How did you get interested in Anesthesiology in the first place - early shadowing rotation, interest on the side during surgery etc... What I mean by that is - have you had contact with someone in the field who can lend advice? Also, it may be worth trying to talk with your Dean's Office about this - you may even be able to set up an away rotation. Just some ideas, but agree with earlier posts that you would need to ask for letters early.

Most places I've looked don't specify needing an anesthesia letter. Just 3 total letters. Therefore just get 3 letters from other clerkships and add the anesthesia ASAP after or during the rotation. Or find someone to shadow and ask them. It will all work out, my friends tell me anesthesia is pretty chill about letters.

Reactions: 1 user