Worried with questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccer_kiddo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reading everyone's threads and getting worried over here. I finished and submitted my applications to UHCO, SCCO and SCO on November 30! Is it too late to get an interview? Some people are already accepted! :eek:
Are the schools open during the Christmas break for me to call about the status of my application? UHCO is my first choice, but I'm worried they may not take me. I've only shadowed a few optometrists and my OAT is a 330. Also, how long do you shadow an optometrist before it is okay to ask him for a letter of recommendation? Just wondering and losing sleep over these things. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

rest assured that it IS NOT too late in the application cycle to get an interview (i know several individuals who have received interviews much later on). no worries there. 330 is a solid score on the oat, so i wouldn't worry too much about that - you are right in the competitive mix. if you feel as if the optometrist would be willing to write you a good letter, by all means ask him! don't lose too much sleep! good luck! :thumbup:

soccer_kiddo said:
I'm reading everyone's threads and getting worried over here. I finished and submitted my applications to UHCO, SCCO and SCO on November 30! Is it too late to get an interview? Some people are already accepted! :eek:
Are the schools open during the Christmas break for me to call about the status of my application? UHCO is my first choice, but I'm worried they may not take me. I've only shadowed a few optometrists and my OAT is a 330. Also, how long do you shadow an optometrist before it is okay to ask him for a letter of recommendation? Just wondering and losing sleep over these things. Thanks!

soccer_kiddo said:

It is definitely not too late to apply. Just keep in mind that the later you apply, the fewer the number of spots will be available. Most schools start accepting people as early as September/October. So, don't get freaked out that people are already accepted.

I'm not sure about the schools being open during the break but I HIGHLY doubt they are.

You score of 330 is about the avereage for the schools, so I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure the optometrist that you've shadowed would be more than happy to write a letter for you. I would suggest giving him/her your resume/extra curricular activities so it can help them write a bit more personal letter since I'm assuming you don't know each other very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
soccer_kiddo said:
Are the schools open during the Christmas break for me to call about the status of my application?

SCO is not open over Christmas break, but they'll be back Jan. 3
Good luck with everything! :)

UHCO is usually open some hours during holiday break... but limited hours.

I wouldn't worry about being accepted somewhere with a 330 OAT. That's a good score. :)

haha dont' worry, i applied like 2 days before the deadline to most schools and was still accepted.

i'm currently attending NECO and i was interviewed on the last day that they held them so you have a chance for sure.

anchan said:
haha dont' worry, i applied like 2 days before the deadline to most schools and was still accepted.

i'm currently attending NECO and i was interviewed on the last day that they held them so you have a chance for sure.

Oh my gosh! That's freakin' awesome. That sets my nerves at ease. Now I'm just waiting for those interviews to come in.

you are, however, too late for Berkeley as there deadline was dec. 15. but other than that, you look like a strong applicant

best wishes

Rusunn said:
you are, however, too late for Berkeley as there deadline was dec. 15. but other than that, you look like a strong applicant

best wishes

Oh, I want to stay in Houston. I thought about Berkeley, but didn't think I'd make the cut. I hope I get in!