Worrying about losing your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ancienbon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 6 figures in the red , i am at times worried about losing my job given how bad the market is these days. I only have 5 months emergency saving at best. What is your plan B guys ? Now that esi will merge with medco, i predict that toughes days are ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

Instead of worrying about losing your job why not give 110% to your employer and show them why you are a valuable team player..

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of worrying about losing your job why not give 110% to your employer and show them why you are a valuable team player..

Agreed. In general, showing your employer why you are an invaluable member of the team is the best way to go. It's like the saying goes; the best way to defend is to attack. :)

Agreed. In general, showing your employer why you are an invaluable member of the team is the best way to go. It's like the saying goes; the best way to defend is to attack. :)

You guys are living in the 80's. Working hard just ain't gonna cut it. They want cheap, fresh, mouldable PharmD's which they can easily replace every other year after burnout. If you are a bit longer in the tooth and on a high salary, no amount of hard work is going to save you!!!

Everyone and anyone is expendable!!!!

Last edited:
You guys are living in the 80's. Working hard just ain't gonna cut it. They want cheap, fresh, mouldable PharmD's which they can easily replace every other year after burnout. If you are a bit longer in the tooth and on a high salary, no amount of hard work is going to save you!!!

Not sure if serious or just trolling.

Great employees are assets to and are not only retained, but offered opportunities for upward mobility. Attitude is everything.

Where the hell do you work? outside of being virtually incompetent (with substantial evidence), violating HIPAA, diversion, or not showing up, it's practically impossible to get flat out fired where I work. They have all kinds of "corrective action" plans for various issues. I hear it's similar at other hospitals.

With that said, I have heard others in retail make statements like yours. I just didn't know of it was hyperbole or not. Does the firing happen often in retail? (outside of obvious HIPAA violations and stuff like that?)

EDIT: out of curiosity, what did you mean by the living in the 80's statement? I'm pretty sure hard work and dedication are what built this country.

I won't give any solutions for you to do rather, i'll give you you options:

First, try your best to save money. Budget all your expenses in order to save.
Second, try to find a job. Since you have a flexible working hours, you can attend to any part time jobs for extra income.
when your current job has ended, try to look for a more stable job. So you don't have to worry for your bills.

You must be either burnt out or trolling. However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's the former.

Are people expendable? Sure.
Are valuable people expendable? No! There's absolutely no point in getting rid of people who are doing their jobs correctly and doing it well.

And seriously, it takes way more time and effort to train new people than to improve on more experienced employees. The experience guys who are often laid-off are the ones who are not keeping up with the times or have done nothing for the company that says that he is invaluable.

I'm pretty sure hard work and dedication are what built this country.

I could not agree more on this one. However, a side-effect of this is the new generation who are lazy and expect everything to come to them on a silver platter.

Many people going into retail knew what they were getting themselves in to. However, they still complain when it's either too late to do or won't do anything about it. It's this mentality that is causing the downfall of the pharmacy profession. Have a spine and speak up if you do not like something.

Great employees are assets to and are not only retained, but offered opportunities for upward mobility. Attitude is everything.
Don't know about hospital pharmacy, since those are usually much smaller organizations, but something tells me that retail pharmacy is just like any other corporation. And any other corporation does not care about your performance when running up tally for a mass layoff. Their issue there is not retaining best performers but avoiding discrimination lawsuits. I have seen many a time where really, really great people were laid off...

The reason it's important to be a great employee is that it will help you land another job much easier (or be rehired) because everyone knows that you are a great employee. But I personally always have several layers of back-up plans in place, which I start thinking of as soon as I get the first whiff of a lay-off, which is usually a few months before it is actually announced. The plans have to be adjusted every couple years anyway due to changing circumstances.

Hello2000 you got it right. The rest of you must not be in retail. The recession and the surplus has put the power directly in the hands of the employer. There is such a drive for profit that people are doing irrational things in order to save their own job. There is extreme pressure on your supervisor to meet unreachable metrics. True it has always been this way but it is worse now. The best thing you can do is work hard and hope for the best but begin networking. The majority of the 10 to 15% of Americans unemployed also believed hard work would always get you a job here.

Hello2000 you got it right. The rest of you must not be in retail. The recession and the surplus has put the power directly in the hands of the employer. There is such a drive for profit that people are doing irrational things in order to save their own job. There is extreme pressure on your supervisor to meet unreachable metrics. True it has always been this way but it is worse now. The best thing you can do is work hard and hope for the best but begin networking. The majority of the 10 to 15% of Americans unemployed also believed hard work would always get you a job here.
Right. It's all about goals and how to make the company more money in retail. Even if you have a hard time walking after you shift from busting your butt, like myself, if you're not profitable, then you are not valuable to the company.

And being a hard worker gets you nowhere whenever the company has a structured lay off. Duh. I keep watching my hardworking mother dodge lay offs at the phone company. It's been a matter of good fortune. The company just so happens to own the building here, versus leasing it, so they haven't closed her office yet. BUT they have closed all but 2 offices nationally. :eek: So please, dial 0 or 411. :p

Well said. Exactly why I got out of retail. Hard work won't save your butt when there are 10 people who will take your job for 20k to 30k less a year.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have no doubt that this is true in many fields, however it absolutely does NOT apply to retail pharmacy. I have absolutely killed myself working who knows how many extra hours on my own time to help my store. I've done everything imaginable to make things run smoothly, make sure all the customers are happy, all the work is done... But when the latest round of budget cuts came? They cut my hours! :mad: It made NO difference whatsoever how good or bad a pharmacist was. They simply targeted all the 24 hour stores that had middle shift pharmacists, and cut ALL of our hours regardless of everything we have done for this company. Our district supervisor puts pharmacists at 24 hour stores who he thinks are the "best", yet it didn't matter. Corporate has absolutely NO value in us. None. We are all just a number to them. We still have complete slacker pharmacists who happened to be in the right place at the right time and still get 40 hours a week, while there are others of us who have busted our butts every single day trying to help the company and prove our value... and we get our hours cut. What kind of business strategy is that? Ridiculous.

Well said. Exactly why I got out of retail. Hard work won't save your butt when there are 10 people who will take your job for 20k to 30k less a year.

Then again what are going to do now? Work hard for your new employer and show them you're a valuable employee or give 50% and hope you will never get laid off? What are the alternatives? You've been around the block once or twice before. Obviously you agree retail sucks. And you left. But you're a hard worker and try to show your value. And that's never going to change. That's why you were able to land where you did. Of course there are circilumstances beyond your control that cause layoffs. But you know better than thatvto say hard work is overrated. After all...someone realized you were a hard worker and gave you that new chance. For those saying hard work is overrated go ahead and be a lazy ass and see where that takes you.

I have no doubt that this is true in many fields, however it absolutely does NOT apply to retail pharmacy. I have absolutely killed myself working who knows how many extra hours on my own time to help my store. I've done everything imaginable to make things run smoothly, make sure all the customers are happy, all the work is done... But when the latest round of budget cuts came? They cut my hours! :mad: It made NO difference whatsoever how good or bad a pharmacist was. They simply targeted all the 24 hour stores that had middle shift pharmacists, and cut ALL of our hours regardless of everything we have done for this company. Our district supervisor puts pharmacists at 24 hour stores who he thinks are the "best", yet it didn't matter. Corporate has absolutely NO value in us. None. We are all just a number to them. We still have complete slacker pharmacists who happened to be in the right place at the right time and still get 40 hours a week, while there are others of us who have busted our butts every single day trying to help the company and prove our value... and we get our hours cut. What kind of business strategy is that? Ridiculous.

OK. Go to work and goof off. And expedite your termination. How's that?

Check the thread on here about the California independent retail chain that laid off 6 experienced pharmacists @ 120k and hired 6 newly qualified's @ 81k. And this is not an isolated case, it's happening everywhere!! Don't know what it's like in hospital but common in retail. Glad I could enlighten you. I'm not happy about it either but we can't keep burying our heads in the sand. Apologies if you don't like it :(

Check the thread on here about the California independent retail chain that laid off 6 experienced pharmacists @ 120k and hired 6 newly qualified's @ 81k. And this is not an isolated case, it's happening everywhere!! Don't know what it's like in hospital but common in retail. Glad I could enlighten you. I'm not happy about it either but we can't keep burying our heads in the sand. Apologies if you don't like it :(

Do you make 81k working full time as a pharmacist or personally know someone who do?

Working hard in retail pharmacy is something that you should do for yourself, your coworkers, and your patients - not necessarily your employer. They call me "the beast" and "blaze", because I kick some serious you know what, but I do it for my team. I do not expect some big wig in Wonderland to notice me.

OK. Go to work and goof off. And expedite your termination. How's that?

That isn't the point. I still work extremely hard every single day. My point is that corporate retail does not value employees that give 110%. They should, because it would benefit the company, but they don't. I work hard because I like my job and always want to do the best that I can do, but I know it won't ever save my job with this company. While our district supervisor may show appreciation to us, he must do what corporate instructs. And to corporate, we are all just a number. That is just the reality of it.

That isn't the point. I still work extremely hard every single day. My point is that corporate retail does not value employees that give 110%. They should, because it would benefit the company, but they don't. I work hard because I like my job and always want to do the best that I can do, but I know it won't ever save my job with this company. While our district supervisor may show appreciation to us, he must do what corporate instructs. And to corporate, we are all just a number. That is just the reality of it.

Yet you still choose to work for them and work hard. It was your decision that led you to where you are today. But if you feel that your destiny is in the hands of someone else and yet still let them control it, then it's your choice. Regardless, you still work hard.

Why? You mean to tell me that there's not a single thread of ideal that leads you to believe hard work will eventually pay off somewhere somehow? You believe doing the best you can because that's what makes you happy. You also believe not doing the best can have an ill effect.

Unless you have a way out of retail, you're going to work hard. Because anything less will jeopardize you and you know it.

Working hard in retail pharmacy is something that you should do for yourself, your coworkers, and your patients - not necessarily your employer. They call me "the beast" and "blaze", because I kick some serious you know what, but I do it for my team. I do not expect some big wig in Wonderland to notice me.

Or you can be a lazy ass and let the big wig notice you being a lazy ass. Of course that wont change anything because you're just a number regardless of your output.

Yet you still choose to work for them and work hard. It was your decision that led you to where you are today. But if you feel that your destiny is in the hands of someone else and yet still let them control it, then it's your choice. Regardless, you still work hard.

Why? You mean to tell me that there's not a single thread of ideal that leads you to believe hard work will eventually pay off somewhere somehow? You believe doing the best you can because that's what makes you happy. You also believe not doing the best can have an ill effect.

Unless you have a way out of retail, you're going to work hard. Because anything less will jeopardize you and you know it.

I doubt you'll ever find yourself working retail, but if you do, then you will understand what I'm talking about. I'm not going to keep trying to explain it. Those of us who have been there understand how it is.

Or you can be a lazy ass and let the big wig notice you being a lazy ass. Of course that wont change anything because you're just a number regardless of your output.
They don't notice either way. No one is watching how hard you work. They watch numbers, aka metrics.

If you're weak, then you just have to whine your way into a slower store or suffer the wrath of the angry public.
I doubt you'll ever find yourself working retail, but if you do, then you will understand what I'm talking about. I'm not going to keep trying to explain it. Those of us who have been there understand how it is.
Right

Don't know about hospital pharmacy, since those are usually much smaller organizations, but something tells me that retail pharmacy is just like any other corporation. And any other corporation does not care about your performance when running up tally for a mass layoff. Their issue there is not retaining best performers but avoiding discrimination lawsuits. I have seen many a time where really, really great people were laid off...

The reason it's important to be a great employee is that it will help you land another job much easier (or be rehired) because everyone knows that you are a great employee. But I personally always have several layers of back-up plans in place, which I start thinking of as soon as I get the first whiff of a lay-off, which is usually a few months before it is actually announced. The plans have to be adjusted every couple years anyway due to changing circumstances.

Great advice!!! Working hard strategy has helped me in my past even before pharmacy school. And you're right, it wont change your employability at a job where people *need* to make layoffs or cutbacks, but it DEFINITELY helps get another job afterward.

I like some of these responses on the thread. Personally when it comes to non workplace settings i'm well known as a lazy mofo, but the workplace is really where you are meant to give it your best effort.

No point in working really unless you are ready to be a badass. It's like going into a competition for something, would you really enter and participate with the mindset "i'll put in moderate effort". No, your goal is to win. In the workplace, the goal is to win respect from those around you and win a secure future.

PharmDStudent

Are you actually an RPH or still a student?

Not all of us have the choice between retail and the holy grail of hospital.

Unfortunately or fortunately some of us have mortgages to pay, and little mouths to feed and we are stuck in retail weather we like it or not. Even hospitals are announcing lay offs and hiring freezes.

Btw you look like Jane Seymour?

Great advice!!! Working hard strategy has helped me in my past even before pharmacy school. And you're right, it wont change your employability at a job where people *need* to make layoffs or cutbacks, but it DEFINITELY helps get another job afterward.

I like some of these responses on the thread. Personally when it comes to non workplace settings i'm well known as a lazy mofo, but the workplace is really where you are meant to give it your best effort.

No point in working really unless you are ready to be a badass. It's like going into a competition for something, would you really enter and participate with the mindset "i'll put in moderate effort". No, your goal is to win. In the workplace, the goal is to win respect from those around you and win a secure future.

No-one is claiming to be a slacker here, all we are saying is that experience and a hearty salary won't secure your job. The easiest way to make cost savings in any organisation is through job and salary cuts. Those with experience and the associated salaries are usually in the firing line. Companies want cheap, NOW!!!!!! This allows the execs to get 6 figure bonuses. A newly qualified should be able to hold the fort adequately if they have been trained properly and they are jus as fit and able to produce the metrics for 40k less!!!!!!

It's Z, by many of your statements you illustrate you are out of touch with the retail pharmacy environment. We will never stop giving 100% but that certainly no longer gives you job security. Corporations are trying to get blood out of a stone. If your supervisor can finger you as a sacrificial lamb they are going to do it. If they can find a way to selectively remove a high paid vacation heavy pharmacist by writing them up for not meeting unachieveable metrics they do it. I think you have been in the right place at the right time to achieve what you have but it is not the reality for the majority of pharmacists.

PharmDStudent

Are you actually an RPH or still a student?

Not all of us have the choice between retail and the holy grail of hospital.

Unfortunately or fortunately some of us have mortgages to pay, and little mouths to feed and we are stuck in retail weather we like it or not. Even hospitals are announcing lay offs and hiring freezes.

Btw you look like Jane Seymour?

:confused:

I understand there's a 10-20K+/- per year gap, but at least in CA they're both above 6 figures. And I've got 6 in my fam and could afford that cut with a mortgage.

I cannot imagine holding a job where you are don't feel appreciated or rewarded for your efforts. A job should not just be a paycheck. By gosh, you spend more time working than you do "having a life".

But then again, we have ourselves to blame as well. Everytime I interned in a retail setting, it felt like everyone was just for themselves and they were just there to clock in the hours, get a paycheck on friday, repeat. Very impersonal and lifeless.

Heck, a random floater would just walk in and with a minimal or no hi's, set up shop and carry on like s/hes been there for years. I still maintain that I would rather work for $45/hr with 3-well paid techs than $60/hr with 0.5 disgruntled-$9/hr tech.

Last edited:
Farmercyst

Look at the thread above I posted a link to, jeesh in CA they are paying 81k. Yes I could still pay a mortgage and feed mouths on that. But I couldn't if I got laid off and got a big fat 0.

Mega-corporations seem to do their firing based on seniority, not performance. Probably to lesson the chance of discrimination lawsuits.

No-one is claiming to be a slacker here, all we are saying is that experience and a hearty salary won't secure your job. The easiest way to make cost savings in any organisation is through job and salary cuts. Those with experience and the associated salaries are usually in the firing line. Companies want cheap, NOW!!!!!! This allows the execs to get 6 figure bonuses. A newly qualified should be able to hold the fort adequately if they have been trained properly and they are jus as fit and able to produce the metrics for 40k less!!!!!!

Yes, my post was basically agreeing with this

It's Z, by many of your statements you illustrate you are out of touch with the retail pharmacy environment. We will never stop giving 100% but that certainly no longer gives you job security. Corporations are trying to get blood out of a stone. If your supervisor can finger you as a sacrificial lamb they are going to do it. If they can find a way to selectively remove a high paid vacation heavy pharmacist by writing them up for not meeting unachieveable metrics they do it. I think you have been in the right place at the right time to achieve what you have but it is not the reality for the majority of pharmacists.
:thumbup:

Farmercyst

Look at the thread above I posted a link to, jeesh in CA they are paying 81k. Yes I could still pay a mortgage and feed mouths on that. But I couldn't if I got laid off and got a big fat 0.

So, 1 thread in an online forum is the gospel? I live in CA. Check the offers thread. I found a job 2 weeks ago in retail that is actually an increase in pay. Z hired 2 pharmacists in CA making more than 81 K. And even Tom Ryan would have $0 in salary if he got fired (yes, I know CEOs typically get severance) Is your point that you wouldn't want a lower paying job because you'd make $0 if you got fired? Is it that if you work for retail that the increase in pay would offset the $0/yr you'd make if you got fired? What do the 81K thread, working hard, working hospital vs retail, and making $0 if you get fired add up to?

^^
My point adds up to the fact that some posters are inferring that it was only ourselves to blame for getting into retail and if we didn't like it we should get out. all I'm saying is you can't just bale out if you still have bills to pay and no new job to go to. Frying pan/fire

Also the yes the ONE guy in CA managed to fill six posts at 81k seemingly quite easy, so if one can do it others will follow.

Must admit, there has been various thread drifts.

Back to OP, no-one should get complacent about job security no matter how hard a worker you are or how valuable you hold yourself in your own esteem :-O

Last edited:

Well said

Then again what are going to do now? Work hard for your new employer and show them you're a valuable employee or give 50% and hope you will never get laid off?

Over the years, I've seen so many 50%'ers that never seem to get fired. And then I see 110%'ers laid off left and right. I think the lazy group knows some secret to keeping their job. :confused:

Over the years, I've seen so many 50%'ers that never seem to get fired. And then I see 110%'ers laid off left and right. I think the lazy group knows some secret to keeping their job. :confused:

The 110%er's are a threat to their superiors, the 50%er's are not. It's kill or be killed. Simples.

So, 1 thread in an online forum is the gospel? I live in CA. Check the offers thread. I found a job 2 weeks ago in retail that is actually an increase in pay. Z hired 2 pharmacists in CA making more than 81 K. And even Tom Ryan would have $0 in salary if he got fired (yes, I know CEOs typically get severance) Is your point that you wouldn't want a lower paying job because you'd make $0 if you got fired? Is it that if you work for retail that the increase in pay would offset the $0/yr you'd make if you got fired? What do the 81K thread, working hard, working hospital vs retail, and making $0 if you get fired add up to?

Tom Ryan left the company about eight months ago, it is Larry Merlo now.

Good...because they won't. That is until it is time to replace you with someone cheaper and faster.

laid off and fired are apples and oranges.

Then again what are going to do now? Work hard for your new employer and show them you're a valuable employee or give 50% and hope you will never get laid off? What are the alternatives? You've been around the block once or twice before. Obviously you agree retail sucks. And you left. But you're a hard worker and try to show your value. And that's never going to change. That's why you were able to land where you did. Of course there are circilumstances beyond your control that cause layoffs. But you know better than thatvto say hard work is overrated. After all...someone realized you were a hard worker and gave you that new chance. For those saying hard work is overrated go ahead and be a lazy ass and see where that takes you.

I never said hard work was overrated. I said it doesn't matter how hard you work in retail because no one cares about anything but the bottom line.

However, you make a good point. If you are a lazy ass then your career will be over very quickly.

I cannot imagine holding a job where you are don't feel appreciated or rewarded for your efforts. A job should not just be a paycheck. By gosh, you spend more time working than you do "having a life".

But then again, we have ourselves to blame as well. Everytime I interned in a retail setting, it felt like everyone was just for themselves and they were just there to clock in the hours, get a paycheck on friday, repeat. Very impersonal and lifeless.

Heck, a random floater would just walk in and with a minimal or no hi's, set up shop and carry on like s/hes been there for years. I still maintain that I would rather work for $45/hr with 3-well paid techs than $60/hr with 0.5 disgruntled-$9/hr tech.

I guess that rules CVS out for you.

They do. It is the safety net of mediocrity. Don't be the worst and don't be the best just comfortably fat, dumb and happy in the middle. The 50% are the smartest bunch of workers out there. Do just enough not to get fired and not so much you get noticed and raise expectations.

How pathetic is it that you have no faith in your employer where hard work nor lazy ass work is neither rewarded nor reprimanded? And to live in fear of getting laid off?
All that schooling and education and that's all you have to show for it?

Career path well chosen.

There's no shame in being out of touch with retail pharmacy environment. But you're clueless if you think retail is the epitome of the cut-throat corporate environment. You're clueless as to my experience. I work with and deal with cut throat corporate helathcare and work for one. Staffing productivity and drug cost cause budget are as important as your retail productivity.

When hospitals make cuts, they do it just as ruthlessly.

Me...right place at the right time? That's funny...there have been so many other pharmacists who were with me everywhere I went... they never went anywhere. Hmm...I wonder why? I packed up and moved across the country 4 times instead of staying right in my comfort zone. And I've just been offered to take over a health system pharmacy operation in another country... 5 months after I took a simple DOP job. Lucky? Not.

I don't know....harder I work, luckier I get.

It's Z, did you actually read my post??? I said there is a thread on here about a California independent etc etc

Obviously as you are too busy working hard to avoid getting laid off, I have worked hard and retrieved the thread for you here :Dhttp://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=884279

Well, if you actually read the thread you're referencing, you'll notice I was an active participant on that thread... Some anonymous poster claiming he's paying pharmacists 81K...

How many california pharmacist do you know making 81K per year??