Worst admissions staff in the country.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea. At the risk of identifying myself to them (don't care, not matriculating) their online status checker says I have 2 LORs from PTs, one from a DMD, and one from a DDS. I don't have a single letter from either of those professions.

Maybe your dentist sent in a poor-flossing-habits report. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh its already time for the annual bumping of this epic thread already? Awesome.

Wow this thread is still kicking!? Quality.

I wonder how many people involved in admissions at Georgetown in 2001 still work there now, and if any of them have seen this thread.

I wonder how many people involved in admissions at Georgetown in 2001 still work there now, and if any of them have seen this thread.

It's actually the same people. I would have let this die a long time ago if it wasn't.

I'm not gonna lie, I got a little giddy when it popped up again.

I can still hear the condescending tone of the dean of admissions telling me that they are Georgetown university and they don't have to make exceptions for people who can't make interviews on their timetable. There are hundreds of other applicants just like me who they can choose from.

I can still hear the condescending tone of the dean of admissions telling me that they are Georgetown university and they don't have to make exceptions for people who can't make interviews on their timetable. There are hundreds of other applicants just like me who they can choose from.

I know it's been said several times in this thread already, but your ability to hold a grudge really is miraculous. I have a hard time staying mad at someone for more than a day. Do you have any other grudges that have lasted anywhere near this long?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's been said several times in this thread already, but your ability to hold a grudge really is miraculous.

It really is dude. Pretty impressive. Georgetown pissed off the wrong guy...

Maybe we can start a petition and try to get the Dean to call jalby ... you know, to patch things up a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

I've never met them and I hate them already.

Actually, they must be working in the college admissions office instead. Because I got about the same treatment as Jalby. Worst admissions ever.

I sent my application in for Early Action, but before the deadline, I changed my application to Regular decision instead. By the time of the regular admission decision notices came out, they never sent me one. Notta. I never heard whether I was in or rejected. Finally, about two weeks after they had mailed all their notices (of course Georgetown doesn't use electronic notices), I called to find out what happened. They couldn't find my application. I had to stay on hold until they found it. Finally, the receptionist guy said, "Oh here it is. Let me find out what they decided." 20 seconds of time they spent looking at my application, and not surprisingly the receptionist came back with a "I'm sorry" response. I kept their rejection letter (which I got about a week later) because in it they claim they spend thorough time on each application, yada, yada, yada. Ha! And I thought lying breaks an original sin. 20 seconds for my $75. Nope I have no intention of giving them another dime for my MS application.

Anyway, by that time I got their stinking letter, I was headed to an ivy anyway.

I know it's been said several times in this thread already, but your ability to hold a grudge really is miraculous. I have a hard time staying mad at someone for more than a day. Do you have any other grudges that have lasted anywhere near this long?

What's the point of having a grudge if you are not going to use it??

Maybe we can start a petition and try to get the Dean to call jalby ... you know, to patch things up a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Do I see an honorary doctorate from Georgetown in Jalby's future?

Reactions: 1 user
The better question is, is there ever not a time???

No there isn't, this thread should be stickied.

and its an honor to have one of my posts quoted by you.

So what do you do now, Jalby? And while I side with you and think that was completely unreasonable of them, why did you wait until October 9 to call back and never write the letter? Were you TAing a class or where did you teach? I had a similar situation and I either found somebody to cover or just canceled the class.

edit: and did you save the letter from the dean? you should post it here for old time's sake. Also, with what LizzyM said about 9/11 and the mail being screwed up, how could they possibly expect you to get the letter there by 10/01. Serious BS man

Last edited:
So what do you now, Jalby? And while I side with you and think that was completely unreasonable of them, why did you wait until October 9 to call back and never write the letter? Were you TAing a class or where did you teach? I had a similar situation and I either found somebody to cover or just canceled the class.

edit: and did you save the letter from the dean? you should post it here for old time's sake. Also, with what LizzyM said about 9/11 and the mail being screwed up, how could they possibly expect you to get the letter there by 10/01. Serious BS man

I waited until October 9th because they never really gave me a deadline on when to write the letter to them. My problem is that I taught the MWF class from 5:30 PM until 9:30 PM on the West coast. I was the head TA and the course really depended on me so I never really thought about having someone cover for me. To be honest, I never thought it would be such a big deal to switch to the next interview group when I knew I would have time. But they were "Georgetown" and it was. To be honest, I had never even heard of the place until I applied for medical school.

No, sadly I didn't keep the letter. I didn't grasp the historical context of the event until much later. I thought it was just going to be a post that made me feel better and then I would move on with my life. If it wasn't for the fact some other random person bumped this up 3-4 years after the thread was dead, it would have been.

Sadly, I don't have any grudges that really have lasted longer. I only have two others that compare.

One was a nurse educator who was hired by USC and didn't know what she was doing. She screwed up and cost me honors for the rotation, and then lied about it saying I did something deliberately wrong. I would have gotten AOA. She still works at USC.

Also in internship there was the program coordinator who told me if I took someones weekend call in July in violation of ACGME rules (having worked 26 strait days) she would let me go three days early at the end of the year. The program director agreed to this trade. That June I gave my 30 day notice, packed up the U-Haul, and was just about to leave when she sent an e-mail to the program director (who was out of town) saying she never approved that. I had luckily logged all of my days. I complained to the program director, and he said tough. I filed a work hours violation with my print out of days that I worked to the GME. The PC had lied to GME about my situation and she had changed my days worked in the computer a day after having sent the e-mail. This showed up and I had the printout in my hand of what I had actually worked.. They told me they would handle it. 30 minutes later I was free to leave. The program coordinator was fired about a week or three later.

Reactions: 5 users
This thread is awesome:bow:
Maybe a month or two after I had started submitting my secondaries, I received an e-mail from one of the schools letting me know that one of my LORs ended half-way through a sentence. I called my UG, and it turned out that my professor had written on both sides of the paper, and they had only scanned in the first. . . . . .I had them resend, but I had already received a couple of rejections at that point. Seriously? I would have understood no one notifying me of this error if it had been a fault of my own, but how was I supposed to have prevented that?:mad:

Summary of most admissions offices I called.

D.O. admissions: "We're glad you're interested. Let us know if you need anything else."

M.D. admissions: "We're really busy so check our website before speaking to our representative..."

It's sad.

I waited until October 9th because they never really gave me a deadline on when to write the letter to them. My problem is that I taught the MWF class from 5:30 PM until 9:30 PM on the West coast. I was the head TA and the course really depended on me so I never really thought about having someone cover for me. To be honest, I never thought it would be such a big deal to switch to the next interview group when I knew I would have time. But they were "Georgetown" and it was. To be honest, I had never even heard of the place until I applied for medical school.

No, sadly I didn't keep the letter. I didn't grasp the historical context of the event until much later. I thought it was just going to be a post that made me feel better and then I would move on with my life. If it wasn't for the fact some other random person bumped this up 3-4 years after the thread was dead, it would have been.

Wow, it's been a year and a day since I last posted in here. Sounds like that nurse will regret instilling a grudge in you. :D

I just waited 7 months post-interview to be rejected from my state school. I know they are not the only ones that do something like that, but REALLY?

I just waited 7 months post-interview to be rejected from my state school. I know they are not the only ones that do something like that, but REALLY?

Focus cookiemonsters. This is about me and Georgetown........

This showed up and I had the printout in my hand of what I had actually worked.. They told me they would handle it. 30 minutes later I was free to leave. The program coordinator was fired about a week or three later.

Dude, that is awesome. Can't believe you got your way on this, haha.

Can we add UCLA to the list? I mean, I love the school and all, but they have like 3 email addresses and refuse to respond to any emails and their admissions process has to be one of the worst in the country in terms of how long it takes and lack of communication. The school is simply too big and bureaucratic that nobody really needs to take responsibility for communicating with applicants. They also just let their phones ring without answering and have no voicemail.

D.O. admissions: "We're glad you're interested. Let us know if you need anything else."

M.D. admissions: "We're really busy so check our website before speaking to our representative..."

It's sad.

I e-mailed one school and asked if I could substitute another biology course for "general biology." They told me no and to check AMCAS guidelines. AMCAS classified it as a biology class. :confused: Guess I'm not applying there.

It's sad.

To be honest, they get a lot of crappy calls everyday I'm sure so it probably gets old.

I'd add Indiana U. as a whole to the list. Secondary is odd, interview process sucks, admissions sucks, you're in a location lottery once you get accepted, etc.

To be honest, they get a lot of crappy calls everyday I'm sure so it probably gets old.

I'd add Indiana U. as a whole to the list. Secondary is odd, interview process sucks, admissions sucks, you're in a location lottery once you get accepted, etc.

I think IU was the only school where I felt the med students were trying to dissuade the applicants from attending.

I also agree about their admissions- waiting 9 months post interview for a decision is ridiculous. When I called to ask about my rejection, they basically said that my interview was good, but I didn't have enough ties to the state for an acceptance. Why invite me for an interview, then? :confused:

Dammmmm this thread has gone through a SDN generation.

they basically said that my interview was good, but I didn't have enough ties to the state for an acceptance. Why invite me for an interview, then? :confused:

OMG, I hate the schools that do this, if you're going to reject me for something in my primary app, don't invite me for an interview, such a waste of time and money

Dammmmm this thread has gone through a SDN generation.

Legends speak of a thread that cannot die. No necrobumper can resist its song. No mod dares to lock it. Every year it rises from its grave in the abyss of dead threads only to disappear as quickly as it surfaced. They call it..."Worst admissions staff in the country".

Reactions: 2 users
Legends speak of a thread that cannot die. No necrobumper can resist its song. No mod dares to lock it. Every year it rises from its grave in the abyss of dead threads only to disappear as quickly as it surfaced. They call it..."Worst admissions staff in the country".

One thread to rule them all,
One thread to find them,
One thread to bring them all,
And in the darkness, troll them.

I'm just waiting for some newbie mod to try to lock it. All hell will be raised. One guy tried to ban me because my Tupac picture was to big and I told people that they should ask PM and R residents questions because those residents have to much free time. I pulled a "Do you know who I am???"

This thread is from 2001.

Stop necro bumping

There are certain threads where necro bumping is appropriate. This thread is a classic and quite humorous and due to certain admissions committees still behaving badly, it's still relevant and therefore better to add on to this thread than risk the wrath of someone saying to use the search feature.

iow chill dude, it's all in good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.