Worst admissions staff in the country.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I'm a part of something bigger than myself just by posting here.

This thread has been in the making a looooong time.

Members don't see this ad.

And can I say, I'm a little bit annoyed that this thread is 10 years old, but for some reason I am a 7+ year member. Does the fact I probably missed doing an SDN post for years at a time mean I am less of a member??
The system makes no judgment as to your value as a member. You joined in August 2001, so you'll be a ten year member in August 2011, on the anniversary of the day you joined. So, you should have joined a few months earlier back in 2001 if you wanted to be a ten year member by June of 2011. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
In 8 more years this thread will be able to buy cigarettes. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
So is this Jalby character a doctor now?

Somewhat.

And in 6 years this thread will be of the legal age of consent in Connecticut and New Jersey.

If somebody is asked that question and they reply with anything other than "Yes," they mean "no."

So. Not a doctor then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also Jalby this thread is reaching 10 years now (one month away!). Now in retrospect, have you let go of your resentment toward Georgetown or have you forgiven them?

You know what's funny, I actually read the first post here (I know its like 100 years old).

Basically, you hate Georgetown for pulling your interview because you did not schedule it by the deadline they gave you?

If they're lecturing you, you should call them Doctor.

If you work with them at the bench, I find that post-docs prefer first-names...

Basically, you hate Georgetown for pulling your interview because you did not schedule it by the deadline they gave you?

Short answer, yes. (of note, I hate the admissions department, not the school. It is a great school now)

Long answer, I just think I should have been treated with respect having spent $150 to apply to a school and having circumstances (Teaching a class at UCLA) for which there was no way I could make the interview in their initial set time period. It really would not have been hard for them to say in September, when I first contacted them, OK, lets interview him in November or December. I was treated as a number, not a person and I wanted to be sure everybody who applied to Georgetown knew what to expect.

And I personally only think MD's should be referred to as doctor instead of their first name. I think science PHD's are deserving of the title, but nowadays PHD's are given for almost anything. That's just my $.02.

I bet you liked time-travel books as a kid too.

And choose-your-own adventure ones.

Short answer, yes. (of note, I hate the admissions department, not the school. It is a great school now)

Long answer, I just think I should have been treated with respect having spent $150 to apply to a school and having circumstances (Teaching a class at UCLA) for which there was no way I could make the interview in their initial set time period. It really would not have been hard for them to say in September, when I first contacted them, OK, lets interview him in November or December. I was treated as a number, not a person and I wanted to be sure everybody who applied to Georgetown knew what to expect.

And I personally only think MD's should be referred to as doctor instead of their first name. I think science PHD's are deserving of the title, but nowadays PHD's are given for almost anything. That's just my $.02.

:laugh:

most doctors I know prefer to be called by their first name, unless you're the pt

did avatars even exist in 01?

(apparently for me they still don't exist)

This thread is amazing. GT picked the wrong applicant to F with haha...

I just... I had to post here because this thread was so epic, but I don't want to post just to post, I feel like I have to add content...

*stares into distance while sipping from a sippy cup*

This thread reminds us all of those old insults that still make us grind our teeth, and of the personal failures that can never be undone. It is those failures though that drive us forward, and force us to seek ways to be stronger, do better, and lose smaller, all to avoid suffering another wound that will itch and burn for the next decade, and the decade after that, and add to the collection we carry already, a collection of scar tissue that lies not on the skin, but under, where it sours every happiness and taints every memory with the tantalizing scent of what could have been.

But this fear is our motivator. I know my audience is uniquely capable of understanding because of who we are... we are nobody. We are a group of people that instead devoted our lives to a singular dream: to one day be somebody, or rather, to be Dr. Somebody; and now this dream lies in the balance of what is and what could be. Is it our want to be doctors, the promise of greater things to come that drives us? Or, is it our fear of what could have been if we fail, and the sure knowledge that for the rest of our lives, we would always wonder...
What if?

This thread exemplifies that sentiment, because it draws to the forefront just how deep and how long these injuries can last. Jalby still feels the sting ten years later. How much will our lives sting, whether we "succeed" at life or not, and how much more baggage will be ours to bear?

Last edited:
btdubs, I'm currently an SMP at G'town and we had an admissions officer come into our lecture hall and give a presentation about the medical school... and she specifically mentioned that we ignore/disregard SDN when applying here (because of this thread).

...incomprehensibly EPIC.

Reactions: 6 users
Just posting now so I can reference and quote myself in 12 months as my hatred prematurely grows towards admissions members of ____________ medical school.

I just realized Jalby made his original post on my birthday. Oh boy, I must've been 9 years old then. :laugh:

I was in seventh grade when this thread was created.

I only remember that because this thread was created a month after 9/11.

I just... I had to post here because this thread was so epic, but I don't want to post just to post, I feel like I have to add content...

*stares into distance while sipping from a sippy cup*

This thread reminds us all of those old insults that still make us grind our teeth, and of the personal failures that can never be undone. It is those failures though that drive us forward, and force us to seek ways to be stronger, do better, and lose smaller, all to avoid suffering another wound that will itch and burn for the next decade, and the decade after that, and add to the collection we carry already, a collection of scar tissue that lies not on the skin, but under, where it sours every happiness and taints every memory with the tantalizing scent of what could have been.

But this fear is our motivator. I know my audience is uniquely capable of understanding because of who we are... we are nobody. We are a group of people that instead devoted our lives to a singular dream: to one day be somebody, or rather, to be Dr. Somebody; and now this dream lies in the balance of what is and what could be. Is it our want to be doctors, the promise of greater things to come that drives us? Or, is it our fear of what could have been if we fail, and the sure knowledge that for the rest of our lives, we would always wonder...
What if?

This thread exemplifies that sentiment, because it draws to the forefront just how deep and how long these injuries can last. Jalby still feels the sting ten years later. How much will our lives sting, whether we "succeed" at life or not, and how much more baggage will be ours to bear?

Who let the English major in????

Reactions: 1 users
btdubs, I'm currently an SMP at G'town and we had an admissions officer come into our lecture hall and give a presentation about the medical school... and she specifically mentioned that we ignore/disregard SDN when applying here (because of this thread).

...incomprehensibly EPIC.

I personally believe that if a school doesn't score a touchdown, they do not deserve to win a game.

And I almost feel bad for a second. But then I remember how I was treated as a number and not a human being, and that feeling goes away.

The thing I really love about this thread is that it was effectively dead on 1/1/2003. Then some other random poster bumped it up on 4/24/2008. Like a good zombie, you can't keep it down.

The thing I really love about this thread is that it was effectively dead on 1/1/2003. Then some other random poster bumped it up on 4/24/2008. Like a good zombie, you can't keep it down.

This thread is not a zombie, as that it implies it still is not really alive. More like Frankenstein...or Jesus. Something like that.

Jalby, this thread is epic.

(I finally posted here!)

This thread is not a zombie, as that it implies it still is not really alive. More like Frankenstein...or Jesus. Something like that.

Jalby, this thread is epic.

(I finally posted here!)

Yes. I think Jesus is a perfectly appropriate metaphor for this thread.

Well, Jesus...

I got into Georgetown... and I REJECTED THEM! Bahahahahahaha

I did it for you Jalby!!!!

I think I'll be following CodeBlu's steps after my G-town experience...

I Want You To Join The Jalby Nation! :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.