Worst/Best smelling drugs????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jawnly211

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i almost puke everytime i fill a metformin rx.....

thank goodness for sandoz (60# bottles) and for the doctors who know how to properly prescribe it.....

pen vk still makes me gag......brings back memories of when i was a child taking it

as for the nicer smelling drugs......benicar is definitely up there.....strange, yet pleasant aroma

any others??????

:hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

we have a lactulose that smells like butterscotch or taffy. Yet it's bright green. But smells so yummy.

Ditto for Keppra solution (grape flavored).

The Clindamycin solution smells like cherry flavored ass.

benicar smells like butter popcorn jelly belly's and we (WAGS) have a brand of PNV that smell like cake frosting !!

armour thyroid is the only one that i can think of right now that smells REALLY bad

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Armour Thyroid is the most disgusting smell evar. Prenatal vitamins tho like cal-nate smell like beautiful heaven!

The worst is Cleocin suspension. Gah. Dishonorable mention to Mucomyst. I'd imagine a mizture of the two would be interesting. Cat piss and rotten eggs. Yum.

The best is either phenytoin orange suspension or Benicar.

I would have to agree that Armour Thyroid is the worst, although metformin comes in close. I like the smell of benicar and Tussionex.

One of the best is suboxone...it smells like candy (and coincidentally, many people seem to take it like its candy as well)

and while benicar does have a nice buttered popcorn jelly bean kind of smell to it, I just can't enjoy it due to my not liking popcorn flavored jelly beans

Chemet is horrendous...worse than Armour.

Anything made by Abbott is heaven in a bottle.

Reconstituted Fortaz = cat pee. And the smell doesn't wash off you if you get it on you.

Cephalexin caps = very potent rotten eggs

There's a PreNate that smells like vanilla and a spironolactone that smells like peppermint.

I agree - Armour Thyroid is the worst.

Reconstituted Fortaz = cat pee. And the smell doesn't wash off you if you get it on you.

I think it's a combination of cat pee and diesel fuel. most of the cephalosporins have it, but Fortaz is certainly the strongest.

Worst for me: Enteric Coated 81mg aspirin

Best for me: Prenatal vitamins (smells like milk candy)

Members don't see this ad :)
Worst: Opening an unsealed stock bottle of amoxicillin the morning of a rather nasty hangover. That about did it for me...

Best: A variety of the prenates... smell like vanilla frosting to me.

Best & Worst: Suboxone -- rather nasty acrid aroma at first, followed by pleasant citrus notes

someone once told me that abbott actually patented their tablet coating and, thus, their proprietary smell!

chemet is beyond disgusting.

primaxin is the biggest cat-piss offender in my book.

vistaril liquid tastes like bathroom cleaner.

best:
suboxone smells not so much like candy, but EXACTLY like fruit loops!! :) yummm
dilantin (brand) smells like spearmint, which is heavenly
omnicef suspension smells soo good, makes me wish i got that instead of amoxicillin when i was a kid :rolleyes:
benicar smells yummy too, like buttered popcorn

worst:
armour thyroid = barn-like smell ughhhhhhh
&& of course PVK & metformin

I like the smell of depakote,
oxycontin smells like rubber cement.

I recently cracked open a vial of imipenem/cislatin and that smelled pretty good lol.. most penicillins tend to smell good.. I actually like the amoxicillin child oral solution a bit

Zithromax suspension smells good too imo

I recently cracked open a vial of imipenem/cislatin and that smelled pretty good lol.. most penicillins tend to smell good.. I actually like the amoxicillin child oral solution a bit

was it dissolved? they're fine until you add sterile water. then good god.

Cephalexin caps = very potent rotten eggs

Agreed. I worked in a compounding pharmacy and on the very bad days I would have to break those suckers open and mix them into a suspension. Definitely used the powder hood for that one.

worst-metformin 750 ER(?) a particular brand (don't remember which it is), smells like sperm.

Worst: Certain brands of generic metformin (Teva especially, like rotten fish), all oral antibiotics, Tussionex.

Best: Depakote ER and many other Abbott film-coated tablets (they patented vanilla-smelling film coating)

Worst: Certain brands of generic metformin (Teva especially, like rotten fish), all oral antibiotics, Tussionex.

Best: Depakote ER and many other Abbott film-coated tablets (they patented vanilla-smelling film coating)

:eek: i do not! :eek:

i smell lovely;)

forgot how good cal-nate by ethex smelled.....

so yesterday my tech and i took a couple minutes off from filling scripts to enjoy the sweet aroma of it

makes me wanna just gobble them all up!!!!

Worst smelling: Take a whiff of Folbee/Folbee Plus.
Best smelling: ?????

The worst by far has to be a 1,000 count bottle of docusate sodium that has partially melted. Makes Armour thyroid smell like a cool spring day.

The worst ever in the history of pharmacy can probably only found in independent pharmacies that are very old.

The winner is:

Asafoetida

With a name like Devils Dung, need I say more??????

Worst - Chemet
Best - Ethex prenatal vitamins

worst - liquid vitamin
best - liquid sulfameth/tri grape flavor