Worst interview answers/responses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a pretty casual demeanor, sometimes too much so. As I walked out of an interview with a D3 I told him "Thanks bro" as the door slowly closed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 20 users
something I find very annoying at unlv interview is this one girl who asks

1. What do we have for lunch during a information session........and the representative is nice enough to elaborate in a very detailed way

2. when they talk about the formula they use for admission, she kept referring to "I just read an article, what kind of experiments follow up experiments you guys have done to show this formula is true...............yes she says you guys.............needless to say the faculty is confused and can't answer her question .......cuz she mentions retrospective study, and stuff................

if that girl happens to see this post, i hope its not offensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes I don't know if people who asks questions such as # 2 are genuinely curious about that, or thinks asking that would impress the faculty.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes I don't know if people who asks questions such as # 2 are genuinely curious about that, or thinks asking that would impress the faculty.
Agreed! At my u of Michigan interview, we were behind schedule because one kid found the need to ask questions about hypothetical situations. like what happens if you are called for active duty in the military and he's not even in the military or a citizen!

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed! At my u of Michigan interview, we were behind schedule because one kid found the need to ask questions about hypothetical situations. like what happens if you are called for active duty in the military and he's not even in the military or a citizen!

Wait, this is from past friday right? I was there too haha I remember that kid.

My strategy I am considering is (especially for a tell me about yourself topic) to go in with a small empty glass and have a bottle of water with me and pour it in and let it overflow a bit and the person(s) interviewing me will look at me confused and I am going to say "Oh sorry, I just like to put 110% into everything I do"

Lol. This reminds me of my friend who had an interview for a tech company and when the interviewer asked him what he considered to be his weakness- not knowing what to say, he said that his weakness is he overexerts himself.

At my UNE interview we were having lunch with the Dean (great guy btw) and we were able to ask him questions. One interviewee asked him about what UNE's graduates were doing, which of course all us SDNers know is hilarious because their first class started in 2013. The Dean just responded "well, we don't any graduates".

I was definitely in the room when this happened and mentally LOL'd

I have one now!

Me (finishing answering a question about conflicts): So basically we confronted the one roommate who doesn't do her dishes about washing them. She said she didn't realize we were all supposed to do our own dishes.
Interviewer: ......who did she think was going to do them?
Me: No idea
Interviewer: Ok......
Me: ya....

So glad I decided to bring that up haha

Reactions: 19 users
I have one now!

Me (finishing answering a question about conflicts): So basically we confronted the one roommate who doesn't do her dishes about washing them. She said she didn't realize we were all supposed to do our own dishes.
Interviewer: ......who did she think was going to do them?
Me: No idea
Interviewer: Ok......
Me: ya....

So glad I decided to bring that up haha
Haha good one. I would say "her mom" lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got one that I literally laughed out loud at.

At one of my interviews at the end of the day, one of the adcoms came out and asked our group "So how was the interviews?"

And I kid you not, someone responded with.

"It was way harder than what Student Doctor Network said, the questions were so different!!!!"

The Adcom just smiled and went on with the conversation and we all were thinking...I can't believe they just said that.

just sent up a prayer 4 this child

Reactions: 4 users
something I find very annoying at unlv interview is this one girl who asks

1. What do we have for lunch during a information session........and the representative is nice enough to elaborate in a very detailed way

2. when they talk about the formula they use for admission, she kept referring to "I just read an article, what kind of experiments follow up experiments you guys have done to show this formula is true...............yes she says you guys.............needless to say the faculty is confused and can't answer her question .......cuz she mentions retrospective study, and stuff................

if that girl happens to see this post, i hope its not offensive.

what?

Some funny stuff in here. I would like to contribute to this thread... if I could just land an interview.

Reactions: 8 users
This happened yesterday at Loma Linda.

"If you are an only child you must be pampered and spoiled?" (as a joke)

I replied: Yes. Well I am not really spoiled, but I am definitely pampered.

This happened yesterday at Loma Linda.

"If you are an only child you must be pampered and spoiled?" (as a joke)

I replied: Yes. Well I am not really spoiled, but I am definitely pampered.
It's not exactly a bad answer doe. Better to be truthful than say "no, i wasn't spoiled nor pampered and work just as hard as a middle child"

It's not exactly a bad answer doe. Better to be truthful than say "no, i wasn't spoiled nor pampered and work just as hard as a middle child"

I felt like they were both very similar, pampered and spoiled. So it was like saying I am not one thing but am something that means basically the same thing? I just felt awkward after that came out of my mouth

Don't know if this counts but at my NYU interview I mentioned my passion for art and my favorite artist picasso. However I also mentioned I liked his erotic pieces too.

Thank god the interviewer was laid back, dont know how that slipped out of my mouth lmao

Reactions: 8 users
Don't know if this counts but at my NYU interview I mentioned my passion for art and my favorite artist picasso. However I also mentioned I liked his erotic pieces too.

Thank god the interviewer was laid back, dont know how that slipped out of my mouth lmao
That definitely counts

UNLV interview

interviewer: tell me why you want to go to Nevada from California?
me: the night life city of vegas, a good place for entertainment after stressful hours.
interviewer: no no but you can do that in CA

...........talk about something else until my turn to ask

me: why you chose to come here because you used to live in CA for 6-7 years too?
interviewer: i just followed my husband. he decides it so thats y im here.

.....................................i think im going to get rejected.

Last year I applied and I landed three interviews so I was feeling myself a little too much in the sense that I thought I was guaranteed acceptance at every school I interviewed at. So at my first interview I pretty much fell asleep during the financial aid presentation and the welcome statement. I can't remember how far back those chairs leaned but I was leaning as far back as they allowed and I was practically also sagged all the way in my seat. This was my state school and I must have felt too at home haha, needless to say I was rejected at all of my interviews. Luckily the state school gave me a second chance this year and I woke up late for the interview but I got there on time and when they asked me "ok so how did you get here" i pretty much got intimidated and started repeating the same thing over and over.. "Well my mom was a big influence and yeah my mom helped me like she was an influence when I was young which helped me because she influenced me" lmaoooo I can't get over this interview. The guy who was interviewing me had the most firm look on his face and he was the associate dean so I was intimidated which may have caused the mumbling, but whatever luckily I did much better at the interviews and I've got two left to blow away so I'm hoping this year will be generous with acceptances. :)

Last year I applied and I landed three interviews so I was feeling myself a little too much in the sense that I thought I was guaranteed acceptance at every school I interviewed at. So at my first interview I pretty much fell asleep during the financial aid presentation and the welcome statement. I can't remember how far back those chairs leaned but I was leaning as far back as they allowed and I was practically also sagged all the way in my seat. This was my state school and I must have felt too at home haha, needless to say I was rejected at all of my interviews. Luckily the state school gave me a second chance this year and I woke up late for the interview but I got there on time and when they asked me "ok so how did you get here" i pretty much got intimidated and started repeating the same thing over and over.. "Well my mom was a big influence and yeah my mom helped me like she was an influence when I was young which helped me because she influenced me" lmaoooo I can't get over this interview. The guy who was interviewing me had the most firm look on his face and he was the associate dean so I was intimidated which may have caused the mumbling, but whatever luckily I did much better at the interviews and I've got two left to blow away so I'm hoping this year will be generous with acceptances. :)
what are the reasons do you think you ended up with rejections from all 3 schools last cycle besides falling asleep at one of them? lol. Is it because the way you answered the questions or your interview was already late in the cycle?

i heard a story of some girl saying that she knew how to speak italian as a second language during an interview.
The interviewer then said he had a friend who spoke italian and called him in to talk to her. She apparently only knew a couple of phrases such as "Hello" and "where is the bathroom?" so things went pretty south for her.

Reactions: 19 users
what are the reasons do you think you ended up with rejections from all 3 schools last cycle besides falling asleep at one of them? lol. Is it because the way you answered the questions or your interview was already late in the cycle?
It was due to the responses I gave. I was very underprepared for the interviews. But that's changed this time around I think.

Also the professor asked me what I'd do if I didn't get into dental school this cycle (last year) and I replied "I'd get a job with the dentist I'm shadowing to make sure this is what I want to do" lmfao totally didn't process that before I said it

Ooh I kinda have one.

At one of my interviews, not sure how it happened, I said "you can probably tell from my shaking voice" and straight up told him that I was nervous. He said "that's Okay these are just designed for us to get to know you"

Luckily made him laugh towards the end of the interview and he said "I can see you here" but then I said "I can see me here too"

Probably not as bad as some stories but somehow I feel embarrassed I said that last statement. we'll see what he thought about that on December 1!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Not a story about me personally, but don't list juggling as a hand-eye/motor skill if you can't actually juggle. I will leave it at that.

Reactions: 23 users
I was talking to an interviewee after we just had our interview. So I asked her, how was the interview?
She said they asked her very difficult questions. I was surprised because the questions were standardized and I didn't find any of them necessarily difficult. So I asked her like what?

She said, "they asked me what activities I have done that exhibit manual dexterity? I don't even know what that is..."

So I chuckled and said really?
She was offended and said, I am not dumb, I just don't know what that is?

I said yeah, definitely. I was just surprised because it was asked on aadsas app.

I felt bad for her because she only applied to one school, but yeah.

Reactions: 5 users
I was talking to an interviewee after we just had our interview. So I asked her, how was the interview?
She said they asked her very difficult questions. I was surprised because the questions were standardized and I didn't find any of them necessarily difficult. So I asked her like what?

She said, "they asked me what activities I have done that exhibit manual dexterity? I don't even know what that is..."

I said yeah, definitely. I was just surprised because it was asked on aadsas app.

Knowing that there are some interviewees like her makes me feel slightly better about my chances.

Reactions: 15 users

Maybe not dumb but woefully unprepared, YIKES!!!

Knowing that there are some interviewees like her makes me feel slightly better about my chances.

:nod:

English might not be her first language. And quite frankly, the meaning of the words manual dexterity is not quite intuitive either.

I have a pretty casual demeanor, sometimes too much so. As I walked out of an interview with a D3 I told him "Thanks bro" as the door slowly closed.
This is jokes.

After 1.5 hr of MMI interview... I ran to a dentist asking me about what qualities do you have to make you a good dentist.
Me (exhausted): I'm a responsible person. If I'm working on something I always try my best to do it perfectly.. I like to help others..... (Can't think of any others. My brain is already shut down at that point)
Him: well, do you have any other qualities you can think of?
Me: um... I guess I'm humorous at some time and I care about others....
Him: can you tell me a joke?
Me:.... I can't think of a joke at top of my head right now..
Him: (still waiting for the joke)
Me: I think I'm only humorous with people that I'm acquainted with....
Him: alright, can you think of other qualities...
Me: ....um...
Him: how about compassion?
Me: yea, I'm a compassionate person. When I saw dental patients suffering from the pain, I can feel the pain as well.. This also relates to how I like to help others. To relieve their pain and help them have better life..
Him: ok, any other qualities?
Me:.....umm...
After sometime...
Him: Any other qualities? You have 20s left.
Me:......
Him: ok, time's up..

I could probably thought of other qualities if the interview that day wasn't that long. I should've prepared for this too...Oh well...

During my first interview I had gotten into a long conversation with the interviewer about fishing since it is one of my hobbies. She eventually asked what would I do if there was no way I could pursue dentistry as a career and without thinking about the question I said "probably open a bait and tackle shop". I thought it was such a stupid answer but she laughed.

Reactions: 5 users
English might not be her first language. And quite frankly, the meaning of the words manual dexterity is not quite intuitive either.
God, I hate to say this but she was blond and really pretty.

Reactions: 11 users
After 1.5 hr of MMI interview... I ran to a dentist asking me about what qualities do you have to make you a good dentist.
Me (exhausted): I'm a responsible person. If I'm working on something I always try my best to do it perfectly.. I like to help others..... (Can't think of any others. My brain is already shut down at that point)
Him: well, do you have any other qualities you can think of?
Me: um... I guess I'm humorous at some time and I care about others....
Him: can you tell me a joke?
Me:.... I can't think of a joke at top of my head right now..
Him: (still waiting for the joke)
Me: I think I'm only humorous with people that I'm acquainted with....
Him: alright, can you think of other qualities...
Me: ....um...
Him: how about compassion?
Me: yea, I'm a compassionate person. When I saw dental patients suffering from the pain, I can feel the pain as well.. This also relates to how I like to help others. To relieve their pain and help them have better life..
Him: ok, any other qualities?
Me:.....umm...
After sometime...
Him: Any other qualities? You have 20s left.
Me:......
Him: ok, time's up..

I could probably thought of other qualities if the interview that day wasn't that long. I should've prepared for this too...Oh well...

That guy kind of sounds like a jerk--really, how many more do you want????

I accidentally said "go ham" to my D3

Reactions: 6 users
The interviewer at nova told me the student before me tried to offer him an IV to show him his skill set

Reactions: 7 users
Luckily made him laugh towards the end of the interview and he said "I can see you here" but then I said "I can see me here too"

For what it's worth, it sounds like you came across as confident and in favor of their program albeit a little cheesy. I'd be surprised if your interviewer interpreted it as anything but positive.

Reactions: 4 users
For what it's worth, it sounds like you came across as confident and in favor of their program albeit a little cheesy. I'd be surprised if your interviewer interpreted it as anything but positive.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

UGH.. Finally did it...

I walk into the room, greet my 3 interviewers and sit down (this is my 5th interview mind you.. I should have this down)

Interviewer: (3 minute long "don't be nervous" introduction)
Me (mentally): Ok I'm not nervous.. lets get this going I'm starting to day dream here...
Interviewer: So why dentistry?
Me: Dentistry has everything, (I go on about shadowing doctors, PTs, Dentists etc. getting to work with my hands and helping people.. then I totally just lost my train of thought and repeated myself).. sorry I totally just spaced out, ahahahaha.
Interviewer: no problem... (moves along to next questions)

The rest of the interview went great. Interview was over, went back downstairs to where we were all gathered and waiting etc. Sat there about 3 minutes, looked down and my fly was unzipped... awesome... I went to restroom right before the interview and it must have been down the whole time...

Reactions: 11 users