Worst medical school in the United States?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorites:

-$50 fine for watching an R rated movie
-$500 fine for spending the night with a person of the opposite sex

Pretty sure I would've been kicked outa school within the 1st week...

I had no idea liberty was this bad. This is Bob Jones level

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I had no idea liberty was this bad. This is Bob Jones level
Absolutely on the same level as Bob Jones.

BTW your avatar combined with username is giving me uncomfortable mental images

Honor codes are creepy, why would school administrators care so much what young people do in their private bedrooms. Its creepy that's on their minds so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal favorite from Liberty's Code of Conduct:

"
Students of the opposite sex visiting alone at an off-campus residence
"

12 Reprimands + 50$ fine.

Pretty sure that rule is illegal somehow. Pretty sure. Where's Law2Doc when we need him most?

Absolutely on the same level as Bob Jones.

BTW your avatar combined with username is giving me uncomfortable mental images

Wow, read their wikipedia article. Apparently interracial dating was against their rules until 2000.

Reactions: 1 user
After doing some research, I would say if China-Illinois had a med school, It would be LUCOM.

My favorites:

-$50 fine for watching an R rated movie
-$500 fine for spending the night with a person of the opposite sex

Pretty sure I would've been kicked outa school within the 1st week...

I can't help but notice that despite their myriad rules against going anywhere near someone of the opposite sex, they say nothing about the same sex. I think I found a loophole~

Reactions: 9 users
I can't help but notice that despite their myriad rules against going anywhere near someone of the opposite sex, they say nothing about the same sex. I think I found a loophole~

Oh you found a hole alright

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Reactions: 8 users
After doing some research, I would say if China-Illinois had a med school, It would be LUCOM.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the China Illinois School of Medicine would be far far more liberal than LUCOM.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the China Illinois School of Medicine would be far far more liberal than LUCOM.

University of China-Illinois School of Medicine :rolleyes: ... Rule 1: You can have as much sex as you want as long as you only have one (male) child and he plays Division 1 football!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh you found a hole alright

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
tumblr_lqnv9ohlI11qafrh6.png

Reactions: 4 users
So in my second email to them, I stated that particular issues of mine were that I have lived with my girlfriend for several years but we are unmarried and I have a glass of wine every night with dinner, because that's just how I was raised. The response was very polite and also very clear that this behavior was unacceptable. Here is the response email in its entirety:

Marry that gal and refrain from wine at the dinner table for a few years!? Great question. I agree, it is a big factor.

Nothing of eternal importance is done outside of prayer (J.L. Falwell). . .Have you prayed about it?

Married students have asked the same question about alcoholic beverages. While it is certainly not up to Liberty University or LUCOM to condemn any person, there are certain activities and behavior we do not condone. As part of the Liberty University community, we agree to live by certain rules and sacrifices while we are students or are employed. It would be remarkable to say that every student and employee always strictly adhered to the university’s mission and practiced due-diligence and integrity in every decision throughout our history. It would also be a false statement.

Thus, in staying true to the university’s mission and vision, I would respectfully caution a student from applying as the consumption of alcohol or couples living together outside of marriage is a violation of Liberty University conduct. Whether a person believes it is right or wrong is not necessarily valid discussion as these are our rules. Should a student decide to attend knowing this but vocally disagreeing among their peers completely changes the learning environment we seek to create.

In short, you have some time. Think and pray about it and please know I am available if you ever have any questions or concerns.

Thanks again for the email,

Redacted

This implies that the LUCOM honor code is identical to the undergraduate code, which is here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...cQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGCZYHg3IK2N8K4jRaZ_HFl4pqnTA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNGpXvh5kHjf5cmRcDWTLGEy7TOEWA

Above is a list of reprimands. While I can't find a copy of The Liberty Way, the above document has the consequences for breaking any of Liberty's many rules.

tumblr_lz4tjd10E31rogl95o1_500.gif

If we go by interview impressions, a certain school in PA made me happy to leave….school was sandwiched between two run down neighborhoods, the lone hospital in the area associated with the school was no where close to it…and our interview day mostly consisted of us sitting in a conference room.

Honor codes are creepy, why would school administrators care so much what young people do in their private bedrooms. Its creepy that's on their minds so much.

I understand the concern, bur likes gravitate towards likes. People who don't wan't that kind of 'pressure' on them will attend a different university that's just as good or better. On the other hand, you will be surprised how many people actually look for universities with clear code of conduct expectations, including clear expectations on sexual activity only with your spouse after marriage, no smoking or drinking. At my university we have many great graduate students from India, South America, and other foreign countries that specifically came here because of the honor code.

Think about it: so many great minds are damaged by unrestraint once they are finally "free" from parental guidance, eventually leading to slavery to these damaging vices. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with a private institution setting code of conduct that forbids certain activities. If you don't agree with it, know there are those who like that kind of environment. At med school cheating is forbidden as well as drug use. Should school administrators not care about these activities?

If we go by interview impressions, a certain school in PA made me happy to leave….school was sandwiched between two run down neighborhoods, the lone hospital in the area associated with the school was no where close to it…and our interview day mostly consisted of us sitting in a conference room.
LECOM?

If you don't agree with it, know there are those who like that kind of environment. At med school cheating is forbidden as well as drug use. Should school administrators not care about these activities?

Nice Straw man argument.

We're adults now. Honor codes mean jack and I personally think people here are making it into a bigger deal than it is. Most of us are 21+ and if we want to have a drink (which is perfectly legal and not frowned upon by society like cheating and drugs) than you will, even if some school's "honor code" thinks alcohol is of the devil. I'm sure many people in your university are breaking the sex before marriage and cohabitation thing because :idea: it's occurring in their private time and has no bearing on their professional life.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice Straw man argument.

We're adults now. Honor codes mean jack and I personally think people here are making it into a bigger deal than it is. Most of us are 21+ and if we want to have a drink (which is perfectly legal and not frowned upon by society like cheating and drugs) than you will, even if some school's "honor code" thinks alcohol is of the devil. I'm sure many people in your university are breaking the sex before marriage and cohabitation thing because :idea: it's occurring in their private time and has no bearing on their professional life.
I think people who gravitate towards those "codes" are the freakiest kind of people. They may have a fetish for parental-like rules and prohibition as well as the threat of punishment.

Nice Straw man argument.

Just to clarify, honor codes mean jack to you. Like I explained previously, there are those - such as myself - who appreciates an honor code for students. You and others may not, and that's fine. But everywhere we are employed we are expected to follow "codes of conduct", so it was good to learn at 19 to follow rules even when no one is watching.
Sure there are those who break the rules, that is why it is called "the honor code". You are on your own honor. If you are found breaking the rules, then you are disciplined. I don't think it is right to monitor such activity by making surprise visits, but I don't see any drawback from asking students to focus on school instead of wasting their freedom by exploring smoking, binge drinking, and being promiscuous.

Look, all I want is to share the view of one person who appreciates the honor code. The environment on my campus is really nice because alcohol and smoking are forbidden. When I was unmarried it was cool to see many 19 year olds returning to their ow dorms at midnight after visiting with their SO, even though they had the liberty to choose not to follow the honor code. It might sound old fashioned and weird, but it was a positive thing to all who followed it.

Where there those who slept around? Yes, I knew a few who did. That's their personal decision and reflects on them as a person, since they agreed to follow the rules upon matriculation. Like I said, most of the great universities in the world don't make any such requirement on their students, and they form well prepared professionals of all areas. The key is those who are immature at any university will likely fall victims of their environment, for their benefit or not. If they are lucky to room with a hard working and honest roommate, chances are the immature student will follow suit. The opposite is also true.

Therefore, I applaud universities that encourages a code of conduct that helps create an environment that is family friendly and conducive to academic learning.

Just to clarify, honor codes mean jack to you. Like I explained previously, there are those - such as myself - who appreciates an honor code for students. You and others may not, and that's fine. But everywhere we are employed we are expected to follow "codes of conduct", so it was good to learn at 19 to follow rules even when no one is watching.
Sure there are those who break the rules, that is why it is called "the honor code". You are on your own honor. If you are found breaking the rules, then you are disciplined. I don't think it is right to monitor such activity by making surprise visits, but I don't see any drawback from asking students to focus on school instead of wasting their freedom by exploring smoking, binge drinking, and being promiscuous.

Look, all I want is to share the view of one person who appreciates the honor code. The environment on my campus is really nice because alcohol and smoking are forbidden. When I was unmarried it was cool to see many 19 year olds returning to their ow dorms at midnight after visiting with their SO, even though they had the liberty to choose not to follow the honor code. It might sound old fashioned and weird, but it was a positive thing to all who followed it.

Where there those who slept around? Yes, I knew a few who did. That's their personal decision and reflects on them as a person, since they agreed to follow the rules upon matriculation. Like I said, most of the great universities in the world don't make any such requirement on their students, and they form well prepared professionals of all areas. The key is those who are immature at any university will likely fall victims of their environment, for their benefit or not. If they are lucky to room with a hard working and honest roommate, chances are the immature student will follow suit. The opposite is also true.

Therefore, I applaud universities that enforce a code of conduct that helps create an environment that is family friendly and conducive to academic learning.

I'm sorry but I have to ask. Poe's law?

I quite don't follow. What is Poe's law?

Yup I'm calling it.

Looks like we've got a Poe's law over here. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Yup I'm calling it.

Looks like we've got a Poe's law over here. Move along people, nothing to see here.
I respect your opinion, and it would be nice if you respected mine on this.

At any rate, the OP asked what med schools are the worst. Having an honor code does not constitute automatic bottom-of-the-barrel listing. I think academics, facilities, faculty, and location more important factors.

I respect your opinion, and it would be nice if you respected mine on this.

At any rate, the OP asked what med schools are the worst. Having an honor code does not constitute automatic bottom-of-the-barrel listing. I think academics, facilities, faculty, and location more important factors.

Wow. I legitimately thought you were kidding. My bad I didn't mean to be a dick, please accept my apologies.

I see your point about other factors making or breaking a school but I think the code of conduct is a reasonable deterrent for many students. If a school has rules I do not believe I am able to follow, it would immediately go to the bottom of my list. Make sense?

My philosophy is that we are all adults and I'm not a fan of arbitrary rules or being treated like a high schooler. Aside from things that are illegal I think schools should butt out of our personal lives. But then again I came from a college that practiced self governance. :shrug:

Therefore, I applaud universities that encourages a code of conduct that helps create an environment that is family friendly and conducive to academic learning.

Liberty Universities rules are draconian at best; at worst, completely bat-**** crazy.

Sure, honor codes are nice for those who would like to have a set of rules to refer to at all times. As a social contract, I understand honor codes. Everyone gets together and decides, "Hey, we're all going to share this space, here are some rules. If you don't like them, don't come." That's fine. It's rather stupid in my opinion since a high-functioning adult shouldn't really care what his peers are doing at any point in time and has absolute control over the environment he engages with. But whatever, let's say these exist for perpetually anal man children. More importantly, that is absolutely not what Liberty University is doing.

1. Liberty University's honor code is based on a far-right institutionalized religious dogma that is both unpopular in the religious mainstream and posted up on a background smattering of vocal and openly anti/pseudo-intellectual rhetoric (see: Creation Museum).
2. Liberty University's honor code is a disgrace to the religion it pretends to represent by giving offenses financial as well as disciplinary consequences; consequently, this reveals their true intentions.
3. Any rational adult should find the existence of a quantified "reprimand"/demerit system absolutely disrespectful if not totally patronizing.
4. Legislation against abstract and ill-defined concepts such as "immorality", "horseplay", "malicious horseplay" and the like should set off huge red flags. You don't need to be a lawyer to understand that this opens up a myriad of opportunities for abuse of authority, overreach, and even directly malicious code-enforcement.
5. Legislating morality is stupid, but that's a personal problem.
6. Any institution that pretends to educate future leaders and scientists while trying to control what its students can and cannot do on "off-campus" property is abhorrent and makes me physically nauseous.
7. "The key is those who are immature at any university will likely fall victims of their environment, for their benefit or not." Don't we have a rigorous 8 year selection system already in place to weed out the immature and otherwise incapable? What level of immaturity correlates to criminal immaturity? Is drinking immature? Is sex immature? The only thing that is immature is being an adult and being unable to correctly police yourself.

"I do by choice what other men do out of fear for the law; this I have gained from philosophy." ~ Aristotle

All Liberty University's Honor Code tells me is that anyone who is willing to submit themselves to the arbitrary, greedy hegemons of LUCOM's administration is either not mentally or psychologically capable of pursuing a serious profession in an adult world or has absolutely no other options. So, yes, it is actually the worst thing ever.

The reason no one is taking you seriously is because you haven't put any serious thought into this. I mean, it's a medical school...if you want to train independent adults, treat your students like independent adults.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Wow. I legitimately thought you were kidding. My bad I didn't mean to be a dick, please accept my apologies.

I see your point about other factors making or breaking a school but I think the code of conduct is a reasonable deterrent for many students. If a school has rules I do not believe I am able to follow, it would immediately go to the bottom of my list. Make sense?

My philosophy is that we are all adults and I'm not a fan of arbitrary rules or being treated like a high schooler. Aside from things that are illegal I think schools should butt out of our personal lives. But then again I came from a college that practiced self governance. :shrug:
No problem, no ill feelings.

I agree, if a particular aspect of a school is particularly negative to you, it will be bottom on your list.

It's good to hear different opinions on this topic. An honor code isn't necessary for everyone nor is it THE best way of managing thousands of students for every university. I just think it's cool some US universities have the option if you are looking for that sort of thing. Believe me, in Brazil (my hometown) most college campuses are party towns, where even weed is given a blind eye.

No problem, no ill feelings.

I agree, if a particular aspect of a school is particularly negative to you, it will be bottom on your list.

It's good to hear different opinions on this topic. An honor code isn't necessary for everyone nor is it THE best way of managing thousands of students for every university. I just think it's cool some US universities have the option if you are looking for that sort of thing. Believe me, in Brazil (my hometown) most college campuses are party towns, where even weed is given a blind eye.

O man not the reaper!
f61.jpg

Yeahhhh most people in murica don't see weed as being that big of a deal...

1389939769272.jpg

Well the thing is, your tone is offensive since you equated sex outside of marriage, alcohol and smoking to possession of illegal drugs and cheating and that if I'm having sex now, I'm misrepresenting my school and my future profession.

I have qualms when honor codes invade on people's personal lives, but you're right that Liberty University is a choice and if you don't like it, don't attend. I'm not against the idea of religious undergraduate schools etc and this has been done before (Loma Linda).

Only reason I'm against the school (and to get back on topic) is that it has a dubious past, non-scientific teachings from undergrad and I don't think it will be an asset for Osteopathic physicians or even physicians in general. It is seen as the beginning of bad DO schools that seem to be opening up recently and that are in planning stages. Once Larkin COM opens up (a non-profit school by a for profit organization that will be in South Florida, which has 4 other medical schools in the area), I'm sure that will become the worst medical school in the US.

Liberty Universities rules are draconian at best; at worst, completely bat-**** crazy.

Sure, honor codes are nice for those who would like to have a set of rules to refer to at all times. As a social contract, I understand honor codes. Everyone gets together and decides, "Hey, we're all going to share this space, here are some rules. If you don't like them, don't come." That's fine. It's rather stupid in my opinion since a high-functioning adult shouldn't really care what his peers are doing at any point in time and has absolute control over the environment he engages with. But whatever, let's say these exist for perpetually anal man children. More importantly, that is absolutely not what Liberty University is doing.

1. Liberty University's honor code is based on a far-right institutionalized religious dogma that is both unpopular in the religious mainstream and posted up on a background smattering of vocal and openly anti/pseudo-intellectual rhetoric (see: Creation Museum).
2. Liberty University's honor code is a disgrace to the religion it pretends to represent by giving offenses financial as well as disciplinary consequences; consequently, this reveals their true intentions.
3. Any rational adult should find the existence of a quantified "reprimand"/demerit system absolutely disrespectful if not totally patronizing.
4. Legislation against abstract and ill-defined concepts such as "immorality", "horseplay", "malicious horseplay" and the like should set off huge red flags. You don't need to be a lawyer to understand that this opens up a myriad of opportunities for abuse of authority, overreach, and even directly malicious code-enforcement.
5. Legislating morality is stupid, but that's a personal problem.
6. Any institution that pretends to educate future leaders and scientists while trying to control what its students can and cannot do on "off-campus" property is abhorrent and makes me physically nauseous.
7. "The key is those who are immature at any university will likely fall victims of their environment, for their benefit or not." Don't we have a rigorous 8 year selection system already in place to weed out the immature and otherwise incapable? What level of immaturity correlates to criminal immaturity? Is drinking immature? Is sex immature? The only thing that is immature is being an adult and being unable to correctly police yourself.

"I do by choice what other men do out of fear for the law; this I have gained from philosophy." ~ Aristotle

All Liberty University's Honor Code tells me is that anyone who is willing to submit themselves to the arbitrary, greedy hegemons of LUCOM's administration is either not mentally or psychologically capable of pursuing a serious profession in an adult world or has absolutely no other options. So, yes, it is actually the worst thing ever.

The reason no one is taking you seriously is because you haven't put any serious thought into this. I mean, it's a medical school...if you want to train independent adults, treat your students like independent adults.
I agree with you on most of your points (specifically 1-5). However, your point 6 must take into consideration that a student at a university is a representative of that university wherever he is, despite how far away they may be from campus. If, therefore, a private university you attend expects you to refrain from certain activities you have a moral obligation to follow it. If you won't, then why not study somewhere else where you will feel more comfortable? (The same applies to your name. Wherever you go your name goes with you).

Point 7 - we do have a very selective process that does weed out most people unfit to become physicians, be it intellectual or social. But what about others who don't want med, law, dentistry? Shouldn't the university be interested in training those immature adults how to deal with things like smoking and drinking and an obsession for sex, in preparation for their own chosen careers?

Now, what is the best way of doing this? I don't know. In Brazil anything goes, and most students graduate with a feeling of entitlement and completely unprepared to face the workforce. Is an honor code the best way then? Maybe not, but in my view it is better than the previous option.

I second darklabel about Loma Linda being a religious schools done "right". I don't agree with their alcohol/tobacco/drug free policy, but I can at least see where they are coming from kinda. While they teach religion and creationism to their undergraduates I am under the impression that it is kept out of science courses which is how it should be. Their code of conduct also does not include the ridiculousness of trying to control ones romantic life, and viewing of R movies which to me basically equates to censorship.

I second darklabel about Loma Linda being a religious schools done "right". I don't agree with their alcohol/tobacco/drug free policy, but I can at least see where they are coming from kinda. While they teach religion and creationism to their undergraduates I am under the impression that it is kept out of science courses which is how it should be. Their code of conduct also does not include the ridiculousness of trying to control ones romantic life, and viewing of R movies which to me basically equates to censorship.

I believe that they're forced to. If the LCME sees them incorporating Creationism into medical school curriculum, it would probably raise flags.

The fact that Creationism is being taught boggles my mind....

Well the thing is, your tone is offensive since you equated sex outside of marriage, alcohol and smoking to possession of illegal drugs and cheating and that if I'm having sex now, I'm misrepresenting my school and my future profession.

I have qualms when honor codes invade on people's personal lives, but you're right that Liberty University is a choice and if you don't like it, don't attend. I'm not against the idea of religious undergraduate schools etc and this has been done before (Loma Linda).

Only reason I'm against the school (and to get back on topic) is that it has a dubious past, non-scientific teachings from undergrad and I don't think it will be an asset for Osteopathic physicians or even physicians in general. It is seen as the beginning of bad DO schools that seem to be opening up recently and that are in planning stages. Once Larkin COM opens up (a non-profit school by a for profit organization that will be in South Florida, which has 4 other medical schools in the area), I'm sure that will become the worst medical school in the US.
I'm sorry if I sounded offensive, it is the internet (word tones don't translate well when you type). Personally I would never do those things because I find the rewards much to small for the possible consequences (std, unwanted pregnancies, increased chances of health problems, etc). Now you are only misrepresenting your school if it has a clear rule against those things. If your family has clear rules against them, then yes, you are misrepresenting your family. I don't have reason to believe the is the case for you, and since you are living on your own you are free to make your own set of rules. That's the beauty of this country.

I don't believe Liberty is teaching their medical students creationism either, but they do teach it in their general biology courses to freshman. I believe Loma Linda is different in that their students (non med) do not learn creationism in general biology like it is science, and instead have separate religious courses. Believe me I don't understand creationism either, but to each his own. If that is what a person wants to believe, fine but keep it out of your science courses. Hasn't the catholic church officially stated evolution does not directly oppose the bible anyway?

Takeaway points I got: Stay away from LUCOM definitely and possibly Rocky Vista?

New York Medical College is the worst medical school in the United States.

I think people who gravitate towards those "codes" are the freakiest kind of people. They may have a fetish for parental-like rules and prohibition as well as the threat of punishment.
Sigmund-Freud-008.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

The majority of people reading this website are gonna have a fundamental ignorance when it comes to places like Liberty. The southern baptist religion is completely obsessed with sex. It truly is creepy how it permeates their every thought. The entire religion is basically founded around it. They are taught that their natural desires are evil and that their only hope of salvation from eternal Hell is through Jesus Christ. As normal human beings typically experience all sorts of different sexual thoughts daily, this presents an enormous internal conflict for these people because of these intrusive sinful thoughts that they just want to go away. As a result, institutions like Liberty emerge because parents, not only concerned that they are going to hell because they had a thought about having sex with someone other than their wife or of the same sex, are even more obsessed about their children behaving sexually and going to hell. I once went to a wedding where a friend of mine, a conservative baptist, was marrying a ultra-conservative baptist girl. We stayed in her parents house that night. It was beyond creepy. The daughter's room I stayed in had a framed "virginity pledge" on the wall signed by her, her dad, and her pastor. The brother in this family, about 19 years old, would randomly burst out into prayer because of thoughts he was having, and told my friend how lucky he was that he was getting married because he couldn't take it (not being able to have sex) anymore and that he was going to get married asap. The kid literally was fidgeting all over the place and looked like he was going to explode. So places like Liberty are where these people send their kids to make sure they don't have sex. The school has all sorts of activities and extensive facilities designed to keep the minds of young people occupied on things other than sex and therefore as far removed from secular culture as possible. Because parents are so obsessed with this concept of keeping their children from experiencing any form of sex or even sexual education before their honeymoon, places like these are big money. You have no idea how much money this place brings in. It's a rather genius business plan. They could probably build 10 medical schools in cash if they wanted.

I personally think it's hilariously ironic that a group that is so uptight about sex that they let it literally control their lives, not by having it, but by trying to avoid it and not get in trouble for it. Of course, the psychological damage that this kind of repression does to one's mind leads them to condemn and try to legally outlaw people who live normally. They are subconsciously furious that other people can get away with what they have to suffer to repress and try to do everything they can to make others suffer as well (legally banning gay marriage, shunning single mothers) or punish them for what they have done (outlawing abortion, expelling students from their schools for sexual conduct, condemning fornicators and homosexuals to hell, etc). The hilarity is that outside of the group of strict by-the-book homeschooled students, the other kids have sex and drink just like other college students, but they don't allow cameras in their parties for obvious reasons.

I don't believe Liberty is teaching their medical students creationism either, but they do teach it in their general biology courses to freshman.

They have special books for all of this stuff. All of the texts have to be "christian" texts. That means they can't have anything in them that goes against the bible (evolution). Even something as bland as materials science or geophysics text will have references to Genesis and how God created the earth. The authors have to put in biblical references or the texts won't get approved. All of the classes have a Christian bent and, for example, business classes on marketing will require you to write essays and you will fail unless you incorporate some sort of biblical reference in your essay.

The Christian book business is, like everything else associated with this religion, all about making big money.

Wow, read their wikipedia article. Apparently interracial dating was against their rules until 2000.

De jure, yes it's technically allowed. De facto, no it's not allowed. It is also not allowed to date someone who is not "saved," and certainly not to marry them. Being a member of the democratic party and voting for democrats is also grounds for demerit.

Fritz I bet you that framed pledge was from a purity ball. Which is probably the creepiest **** in the world. It's where girls basically have a father daughter event where they pledge to their dads to stay pure until marriage. Ewww

Status
Not open for further replies.