Worst/or most funny interview moments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vj212306

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, we have been through lots of stresses. Let relax a bit.

I was interviewed at Nova and there was 2 interviewers, one guy (Dean) and the other one was a lady.

Guy interviewer: so Why Nova??
Me: Well, when i was interviewing at Midwest, this one guy said Nova has lots of hot girls ( hehe, i was totally just joking)
Lady interviewer: Really?
Guy interviewer: I can understand why you said that
And we all laugh for a while then i answered the question seriously. I though that was funny but I dont know how they think about it.

Still waiting for their acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

i had to answer a question regarding my misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct.

So I went into detail about how my brother and I were caught dick in hand peeing in public by some bike cops. I said something to the effect "when you gotta go, you gotta go." And everyone seemed to get a kick out of it.

I was accepted to the school too.

The faculty member hinted that he would accept a bribe in order to assure my acceptance to their program. So to go along with him, I pulled out my checkbook and said, "How do you spell your name exactly?"

He then acted as if he was insulted.

So I said, "I take it you go by "Cash"?"

Needless to say, the interview lasted almost 2 hours and I am currently on their waitlist. Go figure. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
The faculty member hinted that he would accept a bribe in order to assure my acceptance to their program. So to go along with him, I pulled out my checkbook and said, "How do you spell your name exactly?"

Needless to say, the interview lasted almost 2 hours and I am currently on their waitlist. Go figure. :laugh:

He was prolly insulted because you didnt know how to spell his name. freaking egomaniacs! :)

So, do you just carry your checkbook around all the time? :D
I've never even thought about taking it to my interviews.

Interview lasted 2 hrs?!!!!!!!!! where did u interview

So this isn't that funny or bad...but at my Case interview, I took a red eye in so I arrived at 7:30. I grabbed a coffee on my way. Well half way through my interview (with the dean of admissions) I had to pee. So in the middle of my interview I had to ask to be excused, and he had to show me where the bathroom was...like I was a little kid, I felt so embarrassed at the time. I did get accepted though so I guess he understood.

Interview lasted 2 hrs?!!!!!!!!! where did u interview

I'll tell you after I get my rejection letter, because the guy I interviewed with told me that he reads the internet feedback about their school.

So, do you just carry your checkbook around all the time? :D
I've never even thought about taking it to my interviews.
Yeah, I had it in my suit pocket. I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in my luggage that I stashed behind the desk at the hotel I was staying at.

So this isn't that funny or bad...but at my Case interview, I took a red eye in so I arrived at 7:30. I grabbed a coffee on my way. Well half way through my interview (with the dean of admissions) I had to pee. So in the middle of my interview I had to ask to be excused, and he had to show me where the bathroom was...like I was a little kid, I felt so embarrassed at the time. I did get accepted though so I guess he understood.

Yeah, Mr. Dalsky is a very nice guy.

I was at my first interview (ASDOH) and I accidentally called Dr. Altman Dan instead of Don (on top of that I didn't even say Dr.) We all laughed about it later. There was this kid there that kept nodding and saying out loud yea or yep or uh huh after everything Dr. Altman was saying. The whole time I could not concentrate bc of this kid. So when we were doing group presentations this kid made up a word and Dr. Altman called him out on it and he responds, "well at least I didn't call you by the wrong name!" I just about took that kid outside... It was good to laugh about it later. I hold no grudge if you are out there buddy.
Needless to say ASDOH is the only school that I interviewed at that I have not been accepted to and it was one of my top choices if not the top choice.

My first interview. I was at NYU the interview is just starting and he is talking about my current class schedule which includes physics.
Interviewer: All I remember is F=ma.
me: ha ha ya.
interviewer: that and the powerhouse of the south.
me blank stare.
interviewer: you know, the powerhouse of the south?
me: blank stare...what was that?
interviewer: the powerhouse of the cell?

at this point I am thinking that I am from western canada, this guy is from new jersey and for some reason he wants me to talk about General Lee??!?!!

me: no i don't know that one.
interviewer: mitochondria

ya he was saying cell, guess I'm not to good with a jersey accent.
Waitlisted!!

i had to answer a question regarding my misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct.

So I went into detail about how my brother and I were caught dick in hand peeing in public by some bike cops. I said something to the effect "when you gotta go, you gotta go." And everyone seemed to get a kick out of it.

I was accepted to the school too.

That is awesome!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had this one inteview in which there were 2 people asking the questions. They would go back and forth reading the questions from a list. Twice during this interview I was asked the same question. The lady asked me a question I answered and then the quy asked me the same question. I started answering it again but this time going a little more in depth. Luckly after a few sentences the lady stepped in and told the guy that she just asked me that question. Then a few questions later it happened again. In the End, I was not accepted to that school.

I had this one inteview in which there were 2 people asking the questions. They would go back and forth reading the questions from a list. Twice during this interview I was asked the same question. The lady asked me a question I answered and then the quy asked me the same question. I started answering it again but this time going a little more in depth. Luckly after a few sentences the lady stepped in and told the guy that she just asked me that question. Then a few questions later it happened again. In the End, I was not accepted to that school.

thats kinda weird.. hope u get in at another school.

Not too funny but..

At Buffalo I was asked what I thought dental school would be like and I said probably pretty tough. One of the two interviewers said "you know you have 23 credits your first semester?" I kind of waved it off and said "thats all, I usually take 25 credits each summer session for undergrad" they looked at me a little funny then I just said I was kidding and I knew dental school will be much more difficult than undergrad ever was. I tried to feel them out a little first before I joked but they were really relaxed and we laughed a few more times and I ended up getting in.

When interviewing at Oklahoma, I was asked the same question literally no more then 5 minute apart. 2 person panel interview. I responded to the question with almost the same answer as before.

I guess it worked? I got accepted even though I am out of state. Although I am not attending.

during an interview last time, the interviewer's cell phone started ringing, and then he proceeded to answer it and have a conversation with his son.

i think it took up at least half of the fifteen minutes which were alotted for each one-on-one interview.

After the interview at NYU, one chick decided that she wanted all she could carry for lunch (the meal voucher had no limit). Everyone was quite modest except for this 95 lbs. white girl holding 3 drinks, 2-3 candy candy bars, two entrees, a salad, and a parfait thingy. In retrospect I wish she tripped, that would have be hilarious.

I was at my first interview (ASDOH) and I accidentally called Dr. Altman Dan instead of Don (on top of that I didn't even say Dr.) We all laughed about it later. There was this kid there that kept nodding and saying out loud yea or yep or uh huh after everything Dr. Altman was saying. The whole time I could not concentrate bc of this kid. So when we were doing group presentations this kid made up a word and Dr. Altman called him out on it and he responds, "well at least I didn't call you by the wrong name!" I just about took that kid outside... It was good to laugh about it later. I hold no grudge if you are out there buddy.
Needless to say ASDOH is the only school that I interviewed at that I have not been accepted to and it was one of my top choices if not the top choice.

you had to do a presentation during your interview?

you had to do a presentation during your interview?

They split you up in groups and give you a problem to discuss and then as a group you have to present your explanation to the other groups and the admissions people.

Ok, we have been through lots of stresses. Let relax a bit.

I was interviewed at Nova and there was 2 interviewers, one guy (Dean) and the other one was a lady.

Guy interviewer: so Why Nova??
Me: Well, when i was interviewing at Midwest, this one guy said Nova has lots of hot girls ( hehe, i was totally just joking)
Lady interviewer: Really?
Guy interviewer: I can understand why you said that
And we all laugh for a while then i answered the question seriously. I though that was funny but I dont know how they think about it.

Still waiting for their acceptance.

Not so funny now that you're waiting for their acceptance is it?

Reactions: 1 user
Three on one interview. A community dentist, a prof, a D2 and myself...

Prof: I'm concerned you haven't taken enough upper division science coursework to adequately prepare for the dental ciriculum.
Me: Okay, I have another semester of undergrad, what additional courses would you recommend?
Prof: At the very least physiology and anatomy.
Me: (pointing at my file) I already took physiology in Spring '06 and I'm currently taking Anatomy, Biochem, and Micro and they're going great.
Prof: Oh. (looking at my file) Does your school offer Neurobiology?
Me: I'm not sure but I'll look into it. Any other suggestions?
Prof: I'd look into neurobiology, microbiology and biochemistry at the very least.
Me: (wtf?!)
Dentist: (looking at the prof and pointing at my file) He's already taking those.
Prof: Oh.

Hilarious! This made my day. lol

Prof: I'm concerned you haven't taken enough upper division science coursework to adequately prepare for the dental ciriculum.
Me: Okay, I have another semester of undergrad, what additional courses would you recommend?
Me: (pointing at my file) I already took physiology in Spring '06 and I'm currently taking Anatomy, Biochem, and Micro and they're going great.
Prof: I'd look into neurobiology, microbiology and biochemistry at the very least.
Dentist: (looking at the prof and pointing at my file) He's already taking those.

wow. thats hilarious

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Dude, pretty funny. Thanks for the laugh.
So, what happened?

After the interview, my head was filled with the idea that I screwed the interview.

(Walking out of the interview room)
Really strict interviewer: I enjoyed interviewing you today.

Me: Oh, I am glad.

Silence silence silence.

Switched each other's role
could have said other things..
Never saw her again...

I was at my interview at UMDNJ I just made it on time for my interview and soon as I sat I was called for an interview. It was at 9 in the morning and I am not that sharp in the morning and I was expecting the interview to be in the afternoon like it said in the itinerary. So I was caught off guard. I meet the guy and we shake hands and I say my name and he does not say his name. So I was lead to the room and on the door it says Dr. Linfante (head of admissions). So this guy is really important. We continue throughout the interview and everything goes well. Then he gives me his business card and it says Dr. Johansen. The next thing I did was really stupid. I reply "your Dr. Johansen I am sorry I thought for the whole time you were Dr. Linfante the head of admissions". The way I said it sounded like he was a nobody. Then like 2 minutes later I was like maybe I should not have said that. Then the interview ended awkwardly and he took me back to the interview room. The rest of the day I was like I screwed up this one. I got accepted later but it is going to be awkward to see him as a professor. :laugh:

So it was my very first interview and I was extremely nervous. Furthermore, I was interviewed by 2 faculties at the same time to make matters even worse. My mind was just completely blank.

Interviewer: So what's the most recent non-fiction book you've read?
Me: Uhhhh...well... (stuttering for over 5 seconds).
Me: My Cell Biology textbook?
Interviewer: You can't say textbook.
-----Awkward Silence-----

Later on...

Interviewer: Is our school your first choice?
Me: Uhhhh...no.. (face getting very red)
Interviewer: No?
Me: I mean, I would definitely weigh my options and your school does seem very impressive (me going for a save).
Interviewer: But it's not your first choice. Where else would you attend if you were accepted?
Me: School X...BUT I really like your school!
Interviewer: OK.
-----Another Awkward Silence-----

During lunch...
I was sitting with fellow interviewers as well as the Dean. I was still very nervous so I didn't talk at all. After seeing this, the Dean decided to talk to me in attempt to open me up.

Dean: So who interviewed you?
Me: (I don't remember their names! I DON'T REMEMBER THEIR NAMES!)...that guy and that lady (pointing at my interviewers sitting at other tables).
Dean: Oh.
-----Awkward Silence number 3-----

Needless to say, I wasn't accepted.

So it was my very first interview and I was extremely nervous. Furthermore, I was interviewed by 2 faculties at the same time to make matters even worse. My mind was just completely blank.

Later on...

Me: I mean, I would definitely weigh my options and your school does seem very impressive (me going for a save).
Interviewer: But it's not your first choice. Where else would you attend if you were accepted?

During lunch...
I was sitting with fellow interviewers as well as the Dean. I was still very nervous so I didn't talk at all. After seeing this, the Dean decided to talk to me in attempt to open me up.

Me: (I don't remember their names! I DON'T REMEMBER THEIR NAMES!)...that guy and that lady (pointing at my interviewers sitting at other tables).

haha sweet

My first interview. I was at NYU the interview is just starting and he is talking about my current class schedule which includes physics.
Interviewer: All I remember is F=ma.
me: ha ha ya.
interviewer: that and the powerhouse of the south.
me blank stare.
interviewer: you know, the powerhouse of the south?
me: blank stare...what was that?
interviewer: the powerhouse of the cell?

at this point I am thinking that I am from western canada, this guy is from new jersey and for some reason he wants me to talk about General Lee??!?!!
me: no i don't know that one.
interviewer: mitochondria

ya he was saying cell, guess I'm not to good with a jersey accent.
Waitlisted!!

This is prolly by far the funniest so far!! OOH MAA GAOODD!!
Its ok man!! But its hilarious that you thought of the General Lee!!

I would've prolly said.. amm Texas??

Was it at UB?

They basically read the questions from the list when I was there.

Let me guess, you interviewed at the University of Washington?

at nova i talked about 10 minutes about me and 30 minutes about football. The conversation was who is a better qb. John Elway or Dan Marino. Being from colorado he was shocked i said Dan Marino. But i did have to give joe montana some credit.

Case i had some guy who had a bad accent. I walk in he introduces himself and said "So talk". I didnt really know what to say.... proball why i didnt get an invite.

Oh at colorado, my student interviewer (at the time i didnt know who he was) walked in the bathroom with me. We pee'ed at the urinal and he started talking and introduced himself. I said who i was and he said wow im interviewing you next. So that started the topic "about our pee" with the other two dentists in the interview. TUrns out the guy i pee'ed with, was married to my TA in my bio class. After all that no acceptance =[

Later on...

During lunch...

By the far the best

Later on...

During lunch...

:laugh::laugh:
That's a good one.

I was the first to interview in my group of 12. After being led back to the general room, I waited as others were called back for their turns.

Then, some hippy-looking interviewer came into the room and leaned against the door. Staring at his sheet he tried to pronounce the name of a foreign interviewee and ended up giggling to himself. The poor kid finally realized he was Mr. Waaeng, Wing, woon, wang - whatever - and stood up. The interviewer laughs and said "sorry man, must be all the weed."

Needless to say, all us nervous prospectives were speechless! I wish I was interviewed by that guy :rolleyes:

Case i had some guy who had a bad accent. I walk in he introduces himself and said "So talk". I didnt really know what to say.... proball why i didnt get an invite.

Indian guy right? I had him too...good times

One of my interviews was a panel - one student, one faculty, one dentist and one part-time faculty(older, retired dentist).

I enter the interview room and I'm greeted by the retired dentist,
Interviewer: Wow, I've always wanted to meat a sausage.
Me: Huh?
Interviewer: Yeah, didn't you say you wanted to be a sausage?
Me: Oh yeah! (remembering that in my PS I had related a story about how my fourth grade teacher mistook my desire to be a surgeon with the desire to be a sausage - due to my bad handwriting)
Interviewer: Yeah, I've been waiting to meet a real sausage ever since I read your personal statement.

We then proceeded to have a good laugh about it.

After we all sat down the local dentist was ready to begin the interview:
Interviewer: So, we like to run this interview like a nice, relaxed conversation. We're not here to grill you or make you uncomfortable..
Me: He he he, grill me, he he he - that actually might not be that bad...
Interviewer: What?
Me: You know, I'm a sausage...you don't want to grill me...but a grilled sausage might not be that bad, right?
Interviewer: Right....anyway....

It was a bit awkward there for a bit, but I think the interview went really well - although I haven't been accepted yet.

One of my interviews was a panel - one student, one faculty, one dentist and one part-time faculty(older, retired dentist).

Me: Oh yeah! (remembering that in my PS I had related a story about how my fourth grade teacher mistook my desire to be a surgeon with the desire to be a sausage - due to my bad handwriting)
Interviewer: Yeah, I've been waiting to meet a real sausage ever since I read your personal statement.

Interviewer: So, we like to run this interview like a nice, relaxed conversation. We're not here to grill you or make you uncomfortable..
Me: You know, I'm a sausage...you don't want to grill me...but a grilled sausage might not be that bad, right?

It was a bit awkward there for a bit, but I think the interview went really well - although I haven't been accepted yet.
not only was it a good pun but an awkward situation as well. Was this at UC?

I thought it was funny. :laugh:

I was interviewing at BU... I attended BC (for those of you who are not from the area, Boston University and Boston College aren't the same... They actually are massive rivals around town and with sports, particularly hockey... It actualy killed me to apply to BU but ya gotta do what a gotta do... )
I BREATHE Boston College, was the mascot there for 3 years, never once missed a basketball, football, or hockey game. I own a "Sucks to BU" shirt... My roommates were calling me on the phone and heckling me for being a traitor just for going to the interview... Needless to say this whole interview was going to be awkward.
So to start things off on the right foot and let them know where my allegiances lie, I go to the interview wearing a bright gold shirt and my BC tie... I don't mess around... I get there... They go around the round table and everyone is introducing themselves. I say I went to BC... Some kids from Canada are like "Oh you go here?"... "Noooo... I went to that other B school down the street."

So I walk into my interview with a middle aged doctor. He's read my PS which is pretty much based around me being a mascot... I sit down and he convo goes a lil like this
Interviewer: "I"m Dr. So and So... Why are you here?"
Me: Heh... Heh... I'm interviewing... Hi I'm Peter...
I: You do know this is B"U" right?
M: Yeahhhhh...
I: Are you seriously the BC mascot?
M: Yeah... I actually brought a picture. Here take a look.
I: Thats awesome! I tell my kids to yell that you suck!
M: I bet... Hockey fan?
I: Season tickets!
M: Nice! Hows your football team look? (BU doesn't have a football team)
I: Ouch! Got me there... Hey can I take this picture home to tell my wife and kids I interviewed the Eagle?
M: Yeah sure... go for it...

later...

I: I see you're from New Jersey... Don't tell me you're a Yankee fan too?
M: Haha... you are seriously going to just throw this application in the garbage after I leave aren't you?
I: Gettin' close there buddy...

We go on with the interview for about an hour, way over the limit, constantly joking around and taking jabs at each other. Was definitely one of the nicest interviewers and nicest guys I've met... So we walk back to the board room, I get his card, thank him, and shake his hand. He finally notices my tie and laughs and as he walks off yells "BC Sucks!!!" jokingly. I kinda lightly yell "Sucks to BU" back, then notice that like 4 other adcom guys are right behind me in the door and are laughing. I turn around and go to explain and they are like, "Yeah yeah... We know Turkey. We know."

It was seriously one of the craziest interviews I have ever been on... And I ended up getting in like a week later... So I can say that BU doesn't suck that bad... Maybe just their hockey team...

I was interviewing at BU... I attended BC (for those of you who are not from the area, Boston University and Boston College aren't the same... They actually are massive rivals around town and with sports, particularly hockey... It actualy killed me to apply to BU but ya gotta do what a gotta do... )
I BREATHE Boston College, was the mascot there for 3 years, never once missed a basketball, football, or hockey game. I own a "Sucks to BU" shirt... My roommates were calling me on the phone and heckling me for being a traitor just for going to the interview... Needless to say this whole interview was going to be awkward.
So to start things off on the right foot and let them know where my allegiances lie, I go to the interview wearing a bright gold shirt and my BC tie... I don't mess around... I get there... They go around the round table and everyone is introducing themselves. I say I went to BC... Some kids from Canada are like "Oh you go here?"... "Noooo... I went to that other B school down the street."

So I walk into my interview with a middle aged doctor. He's read my PS which is pretty much based around me being a mascot... I sit down and he convo goes a lil like this
I: Ouch! Got me there... Hey can I take this picture home to tell my wife and kids I interviewed the Eagle?

later...

M: Haha... you are seriously going to just throw this application in the garbage after I leave aren't you?

We go on with the interview for about an hour, way over the limit, constantly joking around and taking jabs at each other. Was definitely one of the nicest interviewers and nicest guys I've met... So we walk back to the board room, I get his card, thank him, and shake his hand. He finally notices my tie and laughs and as he walks off yells "BC Sucks!!!" jokingly. I kinda lightly yell "Sucks to BU" back, then notice that like 4 other adcom guys are right behind me in the door and are laughing. I turn around and go to explain and they are like, "Yeah yeah... We know Turkey. We know."

It was seriously one of the craziest interviews I have ever been on... And I ended up getting in like a week later... So I can say that BU doesn't suck that bad... Maybe just their hockey team...

hahaha... this is awesome:laugh::laugh::laugh:

later...

Best so far! I must say you have some nerves!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

this is my first and only interview which I was very nervous...

HIM: "so tell me one procedure that was interesting to you"
ME: "root canal... blah blah you use this thing and that thing" yeah i really said 'Things'
HIM: "now tell me one advanced dental technology that you know or heard of"
ME: thinking, silence.....for 2 mins and I said "CEREC???"
HIM: "Good, that's exactly what I wanted to hear"
HIM: "do you know why I asked you this question?"
ME: really nervous at this point "ummm... to check if I'm telling you the truth? I didnt lie anything, I really shadowed at XXX dental office, and my paper is real"
HIM: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!" laughing for a min.
HIM: "I think you really like maryland."
HIM: "do you have any questions to ask about the school?"
ME: "ummm no."
HIM: "about the interview?"
ME: "nope."

it might sound boring but omg after this interview I was 99% sure I was rejected.

I: So, I read that you play the piano. What can you play?
M: Well, I took lessons for about five years, started when I was 7 and quit when I was 12. I hated it. I really haven't played much in about 12 years.
I: So, what can you play?
M: (STRUGGLING TO THINK OF ANY SONG), "you know that one charlie brown song?" (I start beat boxing the tune)
I: silence....
M: "How about Cannon in D?"
I: I think I know that one.
M: "Do you play? is there a piano in the next room and do you want to battle it out?"
I: no.
M: ok.
I: So, You speak Japanese? Write on this sheet of paper X school of dentistry."
M: OK, (I'm so nervous and I think I messed up a character but how the heck would he know, unless he checked it with one of the japanese faculty which I found out was there after).

At another school, they asked me,
I: "What was the last non-fiction book you read?"
M: Trying to quickly recall the difference between fiction and non-fiction, then realizing I haven't read a book in years. silence.....
I: You probably walk into the book store and go strait to the playboy magazine right?
M: very akward silence and me trying to read their expression to see if they are joking.... "no."
I: "just joking".