MD & DO Worst possible grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archduke_troll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a period in my life a few years ago I got literally the worst grades possible. I got 3 straight 0.0 semesters. I don't even know where to begin to answer how, or why. I literally can not feel more ashamed and guilty over it.

I ended up dropping out of school, obviously, and working for a while. Eventually and very suddenly my younger brother was killed in an accident. For whatever reason that was my wake up to stop wasting my life and throwing anything I could become away. I just remember thinking if there was anything I could do so another family doesn't have to feel this pain I would make it happen, no matter the difficulty. I re-enrolled in school and retook all my old classes. I'm getting fairly deep into my pre-med courses and have no achieved a 3.93 GPA/3.81 Science GPA. I just took the MCAT and scored a 514.

Am I completely, 100% hopeless? Is there any chance a MD school will even consider overlooking my past academic performance.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your GPA with the F's factored in? I suspect you don't even kind of have the luxury of being picky about MD vs. DO.

For DO schools that would be GPA factored in, since grade replacement allows me to replaces all the Fs with As. For MD schools my GPA would be a 3.12 which is really very disappointing. Will schools be convinced by the 3 year gap, massive upward trend and solid MCAT score? I also have 100 hours of shadowing, 60 hours of volunteer work, I worked two jobs the entire time I've been back and I'm married with a child. I managed to balance all that while getting excellent grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is probably one of the most remarkable academic comebacks I have seen. I gotta applaud you; if someone told me that a person who got 3 semesters of straight F's was able to end up with a GPA >3.0 I would be hesitant to believe them.

Your chances are obviously strongest at DO (in fact they are great). For MD yeah a 3.1 GPA is low, but you are coming from a unique situation, so I don't think I can discourage you from applying. Just apply broadly to MD and DO and hope for the best. For both you will have to solidify your story though and explain how you've matured (which shouldn't be difficult because the results speak for themselves).

Keep up the shadowing and volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
I really do hope the GPA and the consistency required over a long period of time in order to achieve will help my chances. Also I might not ever be able to adequately explain how I could've failed so miserably, but I do hope they recognize that I'm getting into medicine for the right reasons.

I'm just nervous schools will instantly reject me because I could be some kind of head case or drug addict. I'm not, there were just a ton of factors surrounding those first three semesters. I've also got glowing letters of recommendation. I just really hope that I didn't screw up so much that becoming a doctor is literally impossible and that I could somehow make the comeback and turn my GPA and life around.

I really do hope the GPA and the consistency required over a long period of time in order to achieve will help my chances. Also I might not ever be able to adequately explain how I could've failed so miserably, but I do hope they recognize that I'm getting into medicine for the right reasons.

I'm just nervous schools will instantly reject me because I could be some kind of head case or drug addict. I'm not, there were just a ton of factors surrounding those first three semesters. I've also got glowing letters of recommendation. I just really hope that I didn't screw up so much that becoming a doctor is literally impossible and that I could somehow make the comeback and turn my GPA and life around.

Some MD schools may auto-reject you for the low GPA, but I think a pair of eyes screens every application and some may be able to see your specific circumstances.

If becoming a physician is your end goal, you will get there. Whether it is MD or DO, no one can say for sure, but the best you can do is apply and try.

I don't think your GPA is low enough to get auto-rejected at most schools. At the very least your application will be seen by a pair of eyes. You should really check out the postbacc forum to see the success rates of others in your position. Even with the extremely strong upward trend you may end up needing an SMP to get into an MD school. You're completely fine for any of the DO schools. Oh and own those F's. Excuses, even if they are reasonable, always seem to do more harm than good for people in your position.

Last edited:
What's your science gpa? If you have a 3.1 overall and like a 3.7 scienxe I think that can make a big difference

@archduke_troll I think the reinvention heavy schools will love you. Can't speak to chances, but you are the textbook definition of a complete (and rapid) turn-around. Coupled with a solid MCAT and touching life story, I would be cautiously optimistic about your MD chances.

Good luck! I'm definitely rooting for you :)

There are a good number of MD schools (and all DO schools) that reward reinvention.

For a period in my life a few years ago I got literally the worst grades possible. I got 3 straight 0.0 semesters. I don't even know where to begin to answer how, or why. I literally can not feel more ashamed and guilty over it.

I ended up dropping out of school, obviously, and working for a while. Eventually and very suddenly my younger brother was killed in an accident. For whatever reason that was my wake up to stop wasting my life and throwing anything I could become away. I just remember thinking if there was anything I could do so another family doesn't have to feel this pain I would make it happen, no matter the difficulty. I re-enrolled in school and retook all my old classes. I'm getting fairly deep into my pre-med courses and have no achieved a 3.93 GPA/3.81 Science GPA. I just took the MCAT and scored a 514.

Am I completely, 100% hopeless? Is there any chance a MD school will even consider overlooking my past academic performance.

Thanks guys, it's really reassuring to hear that I have a chance at being accepted.

Unfortunately I don't have much advice for you as an applicant myself, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck!! I think as long as you fully explain yourself in the secondary applications (a lot of the questions ask about gaps in education, how you have improved yourself, etc. etc.) you'll have a really good chance of getting in to even an MD school, especially places that don't pre-screen for II's. Also I think it says a lot about you since you're married with a kid and still able to handle school and life.