Worth applying in late August???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thezilchplatypus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my current MCAT is scheduled for July 22nd. Knowing that it takes one month to receive my score, is it worth applying in late August? or would it be best to wait until the following year to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, my current MCAT is scheduled for July 22nd. Knowing that it takes one month to receive my score, is it worth applying in late August? or would it be best to wait until the following year to apply?

It will be fine.
I got half my interviews in late Feb because I applied to a few schools in november.
I didn't attend these interviews but the door was still open is what I'm saying.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not ideal but still not late.

Make sure to get everything ready so you can submit as soon as you get your MCAT back. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also this way if it doesn't work out this year and u reapply next year. You squeezed in 2 cycles instead of loosing one

sorry another quick question. What if I applied in late September instead of August. It would give me more time to prep for the MCAT, with a test date of 8/20. Would it be worth it to apply? assuming I used a throw away school to get my application verified so I would just be waiting on my MCAT results to add the additional schools at that time. Pending I score well enough to do so. What do you guys think?

If your worried about finances then just apply to your top 10 schools.
If you don't make it this time around from a time perspectime then you didn't loose out on much.
Plus of you apply again looks good that you were diligent.

No not worried about finances, just worried about classes getting filled before they are able to review my app and offer an interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No not worried about finances, just worried about classes getting filled before they are able to review my app and offer an interview

It honestly depends on your stats. Those with better stats can afford to apply later in the cycle. Those who don't have good stats can't afford to apply later in the cycle.

3.6 gpa
-A's in all science pre-reqs
-Very strong upward trend
-150+ shadow hours
-200+ clinical volunteer hours (ER treatment area)
-150+non clinical volunteer hours (6th grade math/science tutor)
-Start research in August on cell adhesion properties
-Paid middle school soccer coach
-5 good LOR's
-Pending MCAT score (reason why I'm applying late)

What do you think? Improve my app and apply next cycle. Or take my chance and apply in August.

3.6 gpa
-A's in all science pre-reqs
-Very strong upward trend
-150+ shadow hours
-200+ clinical volunteer hours (ER treatment area)
-150+non clinical volunteer hours (6th grade math/science tutor)
-Start research in August on cell adhesion properties
-Paid middle school soccer coach
-5 good LOR's
-Pending MCAT score (reason why I'm applying late)

What do you think? Improve my app and apply next cycle. Or take my chance and apply in August.

What scores have you been getting on your MCAT practice tests? Do you know what score you can realistically achieve by testing date?

no, send in application now, indicating that you're retaking the MCAT. it takes a long time for AACOMAS to verify your information so don't wait! Schools will hold your app for your new score. if your score is good enough then they'll interview you without new score.

Compare the rest of your numbers with stats of 2016 matriculants of your schools of choice. The more average or even above average you are relative to the stats, the larger the cushion of time you've got to submit. August is not late anyhow.

What scores have you been getting on your MCAT practice tests? Do you know what score you can realistically achieve by testing date?

Once you can answer this question OP, your choice will be a lot more clear. (Your question regarding July vs August mcat)

If you are scoring confidently closer towards July, then there's no reason to bump towards August. If you are iffy by then and have good study habits that could lead you to believe you can make a significant score increase in a month, then by all means take the August test.

With your current credentials, along with a decent mcat, you should be safe for applying in either August or September.

The way I look at it is I will always take the extra month of studying and a slightly later app if and only if I know i will dedicate that time towards studying and seriously improving my chances of a good score. You never want to take the test and feel as though you didn't prepare as well as you could have.

Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Just to let you know if you take MCAT on August, you will not be complete by September. Same for your July test date, you won't be complete right after your score is released.

Read through a few of my posts on this. Applying Aug, Sept, and even Oct if your scores are good enough is OK. Look a a throwaway school vs applying to all with a date. I discuss why in similar posts on this subject.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I applied late September and still got plenty of acceptances. I was still getting II's in February though.

I do think applying so late hurt my chances at some of the more competitive schools that pretty much fill up by December like KCU.

But you'll still get plenty of love submitting primaries in late September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll be fine. Send in your application and see what happens. I applied even later than that (mid september i believe) and things turned out great. If theres a chance that you'll get in somewhere, go for it!

Once you can answer this question OP, your choice will be a lot more clear. (Your question regarding July vs August mcat)

If you are scoring confidently closer towards July, then there's no reason to bump towards August. If you are iffy by then and have good study habits that could lead you to believe you can make a significant score increase in a month, then by all means take the August test.

With your current credentials, along with a decent mcat, you should be safe for applying in either August or September.

The way I look at it is I will always take the extra month of studying and a slightly later app if and only if I know i will dedicate that time towards studying and seriously improving my chances of a good score. You never want to take the test and feel as though you didn't prepare as well as you could have.

Best of luck!!

I agree with this, if you can pull a 504/505 (which is about a 28 on old scale) or better I would apply this cycle even if it's in August/Sept with your stats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app