Worth buying the AAMC SA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading that the SA takes questions from the old "R" versions of the MCAT which are very old (so I hear). That said, sure, the SA might be good practice, but wouldn't the questions not be representative of the modern mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

The point of doing the SA is to get an idea of your weaknesses. It's not really something for you to do for extra practice. Once you have a pretty good grasp of the material, you should take it to see where you stand and what you should focus on..I wouldn't do it like a week before your test date as practice because then it defeats the purpose of the SA.

Reactions: 1 user
The point of doing the SA is to get an idea of your weaknesses. It's not really something for you to do for extra practice. Once you have a pretty good grasp of the material, you should take it to see where you stand and what you should focus on..I wouldn't do it like a week before your test date as practice because then it defeats the purpose of the SA.
What would be better practice then? I mean, the questions are straight from old MCAT (although dated) from the people who make the mcat!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do SA, AAMC 6 is suppose to be a part of it. Plus, they don't sell AAMC 6 anymore unless you find a pdf copy off of someone.
gotchya. Where does TPRSW and TBR passages rank compared to the SA??

If you do SA, AAMC 6 is suppose to be a part of it. Plus, they don't sell AAMC 6 anymore unless you find a pdf copy off of someone.
What's the difference between the AAMC R version and the CBT version? Do they contain the same passages (simply more in the R version)? Or are the passages in those tests are completely different?

What's the difference between the AAMC R version and the CBT version? Do they contain the same passages (simply more in the R version)? Or are the passages in those tests are completely different?

The "R" versions contain extra questions but I think a lot of these questions either

1) Became part of the SA
2) Are not relevant (content is no longer tested)

I think you will find all the questions from the CBT in the R versions.

The "R" versions contain extra questions but I think a lot of these questions either

1) Became part of the SA
2) Are not relevant (content is no longer tested)

I think you will find all the questions from the CBT in the R versions.
oh ok, so there is no point of using the R version for practice? I managed to get a hold of them but based on what you said, I probably will not be using them for practice any longer.

oh ok, so there is no point of using the R version for practice? I managed to get a hold of them but based on what you said, I probably will not be using them for practice any longer.

Just buy the SA and AAMC FLs separately.

gotchya. Where does TPRSW and TBR passages rank compared to the SA??

I haven't started on my SAs yet but you gotta remember that SA questions used to be a part of actual MCATs while TPRSW and TBR are questions by prep companies. I've only done TPRSW discrete but I heard the passages in TPRSW are pretty good too. I started doing TBR passages last week and I think they make you think though I found Bio to be too much because I didn't know some of the content stuff I was getting in the passages since I did my content with EK.

When are you planning to take your MCAT? I feel TBR passages and TPRSW give you enough practice material..my TBR books are from like 2009 or something and I have 488 passages total and my TPRSW gives you another like 100 passages per topic which to me is enough practice unless you've done them all. You also have AAMC 3-11 which you can do for actual practice. I guess whether you want to buy the SAs or not depends on how you feel like you're doing and whether you want to know where your weaknesses are. I would do the SAs at least a month before your test so you have a month or so to improve your weak areas.

Yes! Very much worth it to buy all self assessments.

They are like 3 additional AAMC FLs for you!!! Why won't you practice on officially released materials?
Although they are a bit old (especially in BS/PS), they will still help you.

Yes! Very much worth it to buy all self assessments.

They are like 3 additional AAMC FLs for you!!! Why won't you practice on officially released materials?
Although they are a bit old (especially in BS/PS), they will still help you.
True however if one were to own other practice materials like idk tbr or tprsw or ek 1001 is it worth the extra investment? sounds almost overkill

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone whos taken the MCAT this year comment on the similarity's if at all any?

I haven't started on my SAs yet but you gotta remember that SA questions used to be a part of actual MCATs while TPRSW and TBR are questions by prep companies. I've only done TPRSW discrete but I heard the passages in TPRSW are pretty good too. I started doing TBR passages last week and I think they make you think though I found Bio to be too much because I didn't know some of the content stuff I was getting in the passages since I did my content with EK.

When are you planning to take your MCAT? I feel TBR passages and TPRSW give you enough practice material..my TBR books are from like 2009 or something and I have 488 passages total and my TPRSW gives you another like 100 passages per topic which to me is enough practice unless you've done them all. You also have AAMC 3-11 which you can do for actual practice. I guess whether you want to buy the SAs or not depends on how you feel like you're doing and whether you want to know where your weaknesses are. I would do the SAs at least a month before your test so you have a month or so to improve your weak areas.
I've done all of the SAs 2 weeks ago, I've also finished the TPRSW, right now i'm working on the TBR passages which indeed gives me ample amount of practice + Kaplan VR. My test is on Sept 18. I'm starting my AAMC FLs marathon today and hopefully I will be finished and prepared by the 18th.

I've done all of the SAs 2 weeks ago, I've also finished the TPRSW, right now i'm working on the TBR passages which indeed gives me ample amount of practice + Kaplan VR. My test is on Sept 18. I'm starting my AAMC FLs marathon today and hopefully I will be finished and prepared by the 18th.

How do you feel about SA's reflecting the AAMCs?

They're accurate considering the materials are from older AAMC's test bank. Overall, they are good practice and indicative of one's strengths and weaknesses.

I'll be taking mine in 2 weeks..my exam isn't until Oct so I'll have about a month to work on my weaknesses. Currently, working on getting through TBR passages while doing another set of content review on the side. xD

I'll be taking mine in 2 weeks..my exam isn't until Oct so I'll have about a month to work on my weaknesses. Currently, working on getting through TBR passages while doing another set of content review on the side. xD
Many people recommend dividing the VR SA and treat it as 3 separate FLs which worked well for me so try it. Good luck prepping

Yea, besides it wont be as representative if you under perform

SA=self-assessment

Did you split up your science SAs too? I know a lot of people do the whole thing in 3 hours but I was thinking about splitting it up into 1.5 hrs for 2 days. I think it might be more representative if I don't under perform like you said.

Many people recommend dividing the VR SA and treat it as 3 separate FLs which worked well for me so try it. Good luck prepping

For me I did this but it somehow was so inflated compared to my AAMC FL verbal. I would get a 9 in AAMC FL verbal but I was getting 12,13,14 when I did the FL verbal in separate sections (for example a 37/42- i made a 12, so on etc.).

Did you split up your science SAs too? I know a lot of people do the whole thing in 3 hours but I was thinking about splitting it up into 1.5 hrs for 2 days. I think it might be more representative if I don't under perform like you said.

For me the bio and orgo took about 1.5-2 hours. Gen chem took 2 hours. Physics took 3 hours. I did it in three separate days then reviewed them.

Nah, like dreamstoo, I also finished the science SAs in 1 go, I did one SA + 1/3 of VR every other day and review them in between.

Purchased the AAMC SA. I am a bit confused however. It said in the ad's you have unlimited access to the SA till January 31st however upon opening my account online (after purchase) it says each test may only be taken ONCE.

can anybody explain this discrepency???

@csx

Yes, you can only take it once. They do this so they can preserve the statistics on it I think (e.g., avg % correct).

You can still look at your answers up till Jan 31.

Also, for those trying to relate verbal SA performance to FL, you can only do that if you take the average of the entire 120 questions.

The test is in order of difficulty. The first 40 questions are like almost all easy. By the end, they're like all hard. So in the beginning your score will be inflated and in the end it will be depressed.

@csx

Yes, you can only take it once. They do this so they can preserve the statistics on it I think (e.g., avg % correct).

You can still look at your answers up till Jan 31.

Also, for those trying to relate verbal SA performance to FL, you can only do that if you take the average of the entire 120 questions.

The test is in order of difficulty. The first 40 questions are like almost all easy. By the end, they're like all hard. So in the beginning your score will be inflated and in the end it will be depressed.
Just to clarify extra, Will I be able to look at the questions as well?
If not, I noticed you can download the PDF version as well.

Last edited:
@csx

You should just download the PDF (start offline first). Then, to get the answers, enter in random answers online (as in, put "A" for all 120 questions). You'll probably get a 25% lol. But at least you'll have the answer key which you can access unlimited times.

I don't know about you guys but I've been trying to do 8 mins per passage although I notice I go over that for some. I'm done with 1/3 right now and have no idea how I did despite how everyone says the beginning passages are easy.

I don't know about you guys but I've been trying to do 8 mins per passage although I notice I go over that for some. I'm done with 1/3 right now and have no idea how I did despite how everyone says the beginning passages are easy.
Have you done the official guide before?

I found that the VR SA was very useful, the others less so if you already had solid foundation...it basically turned into 'you missed a few random questions. Which subject has fewer questions, and therefore a larger percentage drop from a random miss?'
HOWEVER, they were far cheaper per question than FLs, much closer to the real deal than any other source, and they let you go subject by subject, which was nice for me as I did not finish content review until the bitter end. Only buy them in lieu of FLs if timing isn't an issue for you, though!

Someone said the first ~40 Q's are all easy then it gets harder. I know this excludes verbal. That said, I noticed this particularly with gchem. Does this apply to the other subjects?