MD Worth retaking the MCAT a third time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beeg997

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an attempt to take the MCAT before the 2015 change I rushed my studying and got a 22. I studied again this last summer for the 2015 MCAT and received a 505 (CARS 125, Physical/Chem 127, Bio 128, Psych/Socio 125). At this point I'm set on MD (may consider DO at a later date) and I've already applied for the 2016 cycle to mostly low tier schools (applied in late September 2015).

I am a Caucasian male who is a CA resident. My cGPA is 3.78 and my sGPA is 3.82.

I have read in AAMC's "Using MCAT Data in 2016 Medical Student Selection" that applicants with new and old version MCAT scores should only be chosen based on their new version scores. This makes me wonder if I retook the MCAT if it would be considered only a second try?

Should I retake the MCAT or just hope for the best this round and apply early next round?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's time to start thinking about DO as your only option. Two low MCAT scores, ORM, and being from CA put you directly behind the 8 ball for MD.. With the track record of your MCAT scores your chances of significantly improving on the MCAT enough to have a third try overlooked by adcoms is very small. You would literally have to score like a 520 to have a chance IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback.
I am also curious about schools such as OHSU that say their adcom will make decisions based only use your most recent MCAT? Does this in fact mean it does not matter how many times you take the exam as long as you have a solid recent score?

Thanks for the feedback.
I am also curious about schools such as OHSU that say their adcom will make decisions based only use your most recent MCAT? Does this in fact mean it does not matter how many times you take the exam as long as you have a solid recent score?

There are many threads about this but that can kind of statement can be misleading.
a) regardless of what lip service an ADCOM gives you, you can't tell how they'll react to a poor score or multiple below average scores on your record.
b) AAMC recommends schools average multiple MCAT scores. A fair number of schools do this, and almost none of them will openly tell you(I've had schools tell me multiple conflicting things from different ADCOMs). Even for schools that say they look at the most recent, there are individual evaluators who will average multiple attempts. While yes this can be viewed as rather disingenuous, schools have every incentive to tell people they'll use the more recent higher score primarily in evaluation.
c) As a general rule this isn't Canada where you keep getting to take the MCAT without penalty; you don't re-take it unless you have a really strong reason to believe you can do significantly better(ie at least 3+ points better). Small 1-2 point improvements do nothing for you; I know gyngyn has said for his school and some others even small improvements on re-takes can have a negative impact on an application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback.
All your scores are visible to reviewers. The "use" of the latest score varies by evaluator, school, circumstances...

Reactions: 1 user
Based on the combination of my gpa and mcat scores that I now have, is there any chance at MD schools without significantly improving on a retake?

Based on the combination of my gpa and mcat scores that I now have, is there any chance at MD schools without significantly improving on a retake?

Your definitely a better DO candidate than MD, but with a good broad list it's worth an application cycle to see how things go for MD schools. Historically, a bit more than half of white applicants with a 3.8/28 who applied to MD schools got accepted somewhere. If you want to use that as an accurate estimate perhaps can dock some percentage points to guessestimate your chances based off your prior 26 attempt and being from CA, but like I said, with a reasonable and broad list it's not out of the realm of possibility you generate interest at an OOS MD school or two.

So at this point perhaps it's best to not retake the exam and try to apply early and broadly next (2017) round to both MD and DO schools?
I really appreciate the feedback btw!

So at this point perhaps it's best to not retake the exam and try to apply early and broadly next (2017) round to both MD and DO schools?
I really appreciate the feedback btw!

I would only re-take if you have a really strong reason to believe and have really strong evidence that you can hit 511+ on the re-take. Strong evidence as in your practice scores are way higher than your practice scores the last time you took the test.

Otherwise, yes, while your odds aren't great at MD schools a good broad realistic list might get you interest somewhere and for DO's you'll be very competitive.