worth the risk of Retaking the MCAT? sGPA=3.84; cGPA=3.86; MCAT=512 (87 percentile) but low CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheReds9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on this forum! But I took the September 23rd MCAT and received my score two days ago. This the breakdown of my score

Overall = 512 --> 87 percentile
C/P = 129 --> 93 percentile
CARS = 124 --> 44 percentile
Bio = 129 --> 93 percentile
Psych = 130 --> 97 percentile

My science GPA is 3.84. My cumulative GPA is 3.86. I have been in a research lab for 1.5 years. By the time I apply, I will have volunteered roughly 100 hours, shadowed most likely 50 hours, and worked as a scribe for 500+ hours.

I understand that my overall score is good but the section that I am most worried about is my CARS. I did not think I did this poorly on it (but sadly I did). I also understand that if I were to retake the exam and did the same or even worse that this would actually hurt my application even more. So, is it worth retaking the exam?

PS. I have never really felt confident in my reading abilities.

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on where you are applying to. Your CARS score is roughly a 7-8 on the old MCAT according to the table below. You should be find applying to low-tier schools and DO schools. If you retake it and do worse overall, that would be bad. I personally would not risk it with that score/GPA and I would apply to as many schools (MD/DO) as I could. Note: I'm not the most qualified individual to be giving you advice, so I'd hear from some other people. :)
upload_2015-10-29_17-39-39.png

Reference: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

Last edited:
Some schools I am applying to are:
University of Washington (state resident of Washington)
OHSU
UNC
Michigan (reach)
Washington University of St. Louis (reach)
Pittsburgh (reach)
Boston University
Penn State
Temple
USF
University of Colorado
University of Connecticut
University of Kansas
University of Minnesota

It all depends on where you are applying to. Your CARS score is roughly a 7-8 on the old MCAT according to the table below. You should be find applying to low-tier schools and DO schools. If you retake it and do worse overall, that would be bad. I personally would not risk it with that score/GPA and I would apply to as many schools (MD/DO) as I could. Note: I'm not the most qualified individual to be giving you advice, so I'd hear from some other people. :)
View attachment 197423
Reference: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

Some schools I am applying to are:
University of Washington (state resident of Washington)
OHSU
UNC
Michigan (reach)
Washington University of St. Louis (reach)
Pittsburgh (reach)
Boston University
Penn State
Temple
USF
University of Colorado
University of Connecticut
University of Kansas
University of Minnesota

Members don't see this ad :)
I probably wouldn't retake but you need to redo that list. All these schools with 36+ median MCATs got to go(Pitt, Michigan, WashU, even Ohio State and Boston U at a 35) and all these schools with strong IS biases got to go. That takes away Colorado, UCONN, Kansas, Minnesota, USF, UNC. So basically out of your list, you should keep U of Wash, Penn State and Temple. For the rest invest in MSAR and target schools with 30-33 median MCATs. Your CARs could be an issue but with a 3.85/32 I still think you can have a fair chance with a good solid broad list.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought UW and OHSU pretty much don't accept students from each other's states?

At least that's what I was told as an OR resident. The schools will take OOS students but have a huge preference for nearby states w/no med schools.

I probably wouldn't retake but you need to redo that list. All these schools with 36+ median MCATs got to go(Pitt, Michigan, WashU, even Ohio State and Boston U at a 35) and all these schools with strong IS biases got to go. That takes away Colorado, UCONN, Kansas, Minnesota, USF, UNC. So basically out of your list, you should keep U of Wash, Penn State and Temple. For the rest invest in MSAR and target schools with 30-33 median MCATs. Your CARs could be an issue but with a 3.85/32 I still think you can have a fair chance with a good solid broad list.

Are there any other schools you would recommend?

I thought UW and OHSU pretty much don't accept students from each other's states?

At least that's what I was told as an OR resident. The schools will take OOS students but have a huge preference for nearby states w/no med schools.

What is OOS? Sorry! And I didn't know they thought that. I hope not! I would love to go to OHSU!

OOS = out of state

I hope I'm wrong too I'd def apply to UW but I've heard this over and over. Hopefully someone on here will know for sure.